Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Closed Thread

Old 09-21-2005, 02:50 PM
Inactive User

Default Scat vs Eagle H beam rods

Does anyone know if the Scat rod and the Eagle rod are made by the same company. I've read that Eagle rod forgings come from China and are machined in USA. Scat rods I've heard are forged and machined in China, but use American made Cap screws.
Any factual information would be appreciated.
Old 09-22-2005, 02:02 AM
Inactive User

I wouldn't have a clue, though was looking at a couple of sets of Eagles & Scats side by side & the Scats looked better in finish
Old 09-22-2005, 02:42 AM
Inactive User

I think that supports the assumption, that the Scats have been machined in china
From what I've heard, there is two factories in china that make these rods for different brands. Anyone can go there and get for example rods or cranks with his name on them, you just have to order something like couple of hudred (sets). There may be minor machining and therefore also weight differencies even between different batches. And from what I have heard, 440 sources rods & cranks do not come out of either of these two factories, and the factory that makes the 440 source rods & cranks does not make these parts for other brands.
Old 09-22-2005, 06:54 PM

90% of all the new hard parts I see for Mopars look like C.A.T parts. Only reason I know is that their web site www.catpep.com has pictures of most of their offerings and they are not shy on the fact that their stuff is imported. Not a big deal to me, but it is a bone to others. C.A.T probably sources their parts from the same foundy as most other branded parts. If it is 1/2 the price of a Carillo then it is probably made by someone that gets paid 90% less. Same metal, same CNC, same program, different lunch in the bag...
Old 09-22-2005, 07:15 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pishta
Same metal, same CNC, same program, different lunch in the bag...
Different utensils, too!

torch
Old 09-22-2005, 07:26 PM
Inactive User

I have a set of Eagle rods on my 400. When I gave them to the machine shop they weighed them. They were withing a gram of each other. He said there was no need to balance them. The machining looked pretty good to me.
Old 09-23-2005, 08:51 AM
Inactive User

who if anyone makes good H beam rods that arent imported from China? Anyone have any tips, Im looking for the rods to put in my 408 stroker that Im building and I dont want to buy chinese stuff if i can avoid it.
Old 09-23-2005, 07:53 PM
Inactive User

Why? You probably bought a Chinese crank.
Old 09-23-2005, 07:57 PM
Inactive User

I think the Mopar cranks are cast in Argentina.

torch
Old 09-23-2005, 10:03 PM
Inactive User

I havent bought the crank yet either, Im waiting till tax time to pick that up, unless i find a great deal sooner. And yes, I believe that Torch is right about them being cast in Argentina. I have heard some bad stories about Eagle H beams not holding up very well, and I would rather not support the virtual slave labor that goes on in China as much as I possibly can. And if that means spending a little more, so be it. So does anyone know of any H beams that arent made in China?
Old 09-23-2005, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1973Swinger
I havent bought the crank yet either, Im waiting till tax time to pick that up, unless i find a great deal sooner. And yes, I believe that Torch is right about them being cast in Argentina. I have heard some bad stories about Eagle H beams not holding up very well, and I would rather not support the virtual slave labor that goes on in China as much as I possibly can. And if that means spending a little more, so be it. So does anyone know of any H beams that arent made in China?
Most are forged there some are machined there some machined here. I too do not want to suport china so if I knew would try to get parts machined here any one know a brand or brands machined here.
Old 09-24-2005, 08:54 AM
Inactive User

Manley has rods for both big and small block, they're listed in the PAW catalog
Old 09-24-2005, 12:27 PM
Inactive User

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1973Swinger
I would rather not support the virtual slave labor that goes on in China as much as I possibly can. And if that means spending a little more,
Bad thing is, its not a 'little more'. When i researched about 5 months ago, it was about 50-90% more for USA crank and rods. I spoke to a friend online who told me that his friend has a *new* USA made Eagle crank.
Old 09-24-2005, 03:47 PM
Inactive User

Well you can hide your head in the sand if you wish but let's face it. If the unions hadn't been so greedy there wouldn't be the need to go to China for stuff like this, or to have our cars and trucks built in Mexico either. But that's water under the bridge now, it's a global economy and we will never go back to what it once was.
Old 09-24-2005, 04:52 PM

Of course, if we send all the work to the country with the cheapest labour, then that country will be the only one working...

If that country is the only one producing food, for instance, will it always produce enough for the rest of the world to survive? Of course not!

But that is the net result we see... the world is truly crazy.
Old 09-24-2005, 05:17 PM

Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by skankweirdall
Well you can hide your head in the sand if you wish but let's face it. If the unions hadn't been so greedy there wouldn't be the need to go to China for stuff like this, or to have our cars and trucks built in Mexico either. But that's water under the bridge now, it's a global economy and we will never go back to what it once was.
Still in a global economy market forces drive point of manufactor. Case in point I work for a very large co. and we do most of the skilled labor in the US the plant I work in is expanding and there is a new plant opening up in Az but we send parts to 3rd world countrys for packaging. IMHO this is best for all. I just want to know where parts are machined

Quote:
Originally Posted by moparmotorman
Manley has rods for both big and small block...
Thanks

Have used thier valves did not know about rods same question do they build them, inport and machine, or just inport..
Old 09-24-2005, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Bell
Of course, if we send all the work to the country with the cheapest labour, then that country will be the only one working...

If that country is the only one producing food, for instance, will it always produce enough for the rest of the world to survive? Of course not!

But that is the net result we see... the world is truly crazy.

Then labor costs will go up in that country.

We produce food in the USA but still use inported labor..

I was a farmer it was a 3 generation farm 'till my grandfather died in 62 but still we used 3-4 generations of labor from the same famlies. How that started was the dust bowl my grandfather sold 500 ac farm in tx bought 60 ac in calif, my dad was 13 in '29. As the drought got worse my grandfather wrote to his neighbors that if they lost it all he would give them shelter and a job. THEY were still living in our cutting shed summers till 73 my dad had died and the bank would not loan me money to run farm. We did not make a profit from 70-73 all the other farmers were using import labor. I do not know if we had switched to inported labor if I would be a farmer....

My point subcontracting to cheaper labor has been going on for ever.
Old 09-24-2005, 05:58 PM

Of course, it's a vicious cycle...

Witness Japan's rise to prosperity... now they send out the work they used to do to places like Korea and Taiwan, they own all kinds of businesses in those countries.

My observations were extremes. But close to the truth. When you visit a town which is surrounded by orange orchards and go to their supermarket and see orange juice for sale... well, would they sell any?

Yes, they do. Reconstituted orange juice with ingredients from Brazil!
Old 09-26-2005, 06:09 PM
Inactive User

I had to open my mouth about China didnt I?

Is Manley the only one left that makes their rods in the US or are there any others?
Old 09-26-2005, 07:50 PM
Inactive User

Oliver and Carillo, maybe?

torch
Old 09-27-2005, 03:01 AM
Inactive User

I have one set of Childs & Albert rods, they are US made and cost about four times the price fo 440 source rods. Haven't decided yet which brand rods & crank I will use in my next buildup, perhaps Eagles.
Old 09-27-2005, 06:32 PM

Angry

There should be a law in this country which states exactly what country parts are produced in. Also this info should be stated in all catalogs too.
Old 09-27-2005, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DartGT66
440 source rods. .
They just inporters or value adders?
Old 09-28-2005, 11:09 AM
Inactive User

It's not a case of sending all labor out to the cheapest labor country, it's more about avoiding the country with the highest labor costs.

Unions have ruined this country.
Old 09-28-2005, 11:39 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast_Eddie
It's not a case of sending all labor out to the cheapest labor country, it's more about avoiding the country with the highest labor costs.

Unions have ruined this country.
I don't think unions have ruined this country. Remember unions brought the 40 hour work week, paid vacations, child labor laws, safety in the work place. I think it is more that the "global economy" has caught up with the unions. We can't afford a 35-45 dollar an hour labor cost when the same labor can be had for 2 or 3 dollars per hour in another country. But at the same time it costs so much to live now. Look at housing prices, car prices, food prices energy prices. How can you afford to live without a good rate of pay as well as health care?
Ray has a very good point regarding produce. I live in southwest Florida right in the heart of orange country. A 15 minute drive gets you into mile after mile after mile of orange, grapefruit, lemon, and lime orchards. Literally millions of them, not to mention there is an orange tree in just about every yard. So what is the most exspensive pre packaged beverage to buy in our local super market. ORANGE JUICE!!! Not to mention the oranges, and other citrus doesn't come from Florida it comes from california, Brazil, Venuzuela, and Mexico. How in the holy hell can oranges from california be cheaper than right in our own back yard?
When I lived in western new york the two main supermarket chains there decided to get the majority of produce from local farmers. The response was amazing and the quality of the food was so much better. I would like to see that type of thing more and more. I don't have anything against food producing countries, but I would like to see apples from Washington or New York, Pineapples from Hawaii, Lettuce from California. I think potatoes and corn are about the only thing so far that is still home grown and sold in our stores.
Old 09-28-2005, 11:41 AM
Inactive User

440 source manufactures their rods & cranks in China, other parts are propably from the same sources as Scat CAT or other "chinese" parts. In the globalized world, the owners shoot for the best profit and manufacture their stuff where they think will provide that. The final responsibility is the buyers. I couldn't care less, wether the part comes from China or USA, it's still overseas parts for us, buying it does no good for our homeland. Anyway, just yesterday I weghed some H-beam 440 source rods, 6.76"/990" rods were only 788 grams each. I have had two sets of Eagle H-beams, the other was 907 grams and the other 895 grams and the C&A I profiles I have are 860 grams each, so the 440source rods are really lightweight. Way less than Stock LY rods.
Old 09-28-2005, 02:19 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by custom880
When I lived in western new york the two main supermarket chains there decided to get the majority of produce from local farmers. The response was amazing and the quality of the food was so much better. I would like to see that type of thing more and more. I don't have anything against food producing countries, but I would like to see apples from Washington or New York, Pineapples from Hawaii, Lettuce from California. I think potatoes and corn are about the only thing so far that is still home grown and sold in our stores.

You are talking about Wegman's right? well the produce from Wegmans is just about the most expensive around, when its shipped from right around the corner. I can go to super walmart or the local Big-M grocery store and get produce for way less than at Wegman's. That store has turned into more of an upscale novelty around here than anything IMO.Id rather go somewhere else and get double the groceries for the same money than shop at Wegmans just so I can say, "hey, I shop at Wegmans".
Closed Thread