Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 09-24-2005, 05:12 PM
Inactive User

Default casting number location

I just baught myself a 440RB block and crank (1968) at the swap meet and I can't find the damn casting number on the crank to see if it is steel!!! there is the typical wide parting line found on a forged crank but it is only on one or two of the journal throws where the rest of the journal throws are smooth.

TIA
Old 09-24-2005, 05:23 PM

Sounds like it is steel...

If there are no sharp lines, you've got steel, basically. Do you have a picture?

And is there any chance you can weigh these for us? We've been trying to determine the accurate weight of the big block for a while. Separate weights for the block and crank would be excellent.
Old 09-25-2005, 11:55 PM
Inactive User

Default steel crank

well on part of the crank (where there are heavy forging lines) there are some sharp edges, but for the rest of the crank everything is smooth. the thing weighs a ton, so just from that alone i'm thinking it is a steel, plus i think i read somewhere that all 440 cranks were steel up until '72, which cast cranks were used in only one type of car, but after 72 everything was cast, or something like that... my Olds 425 steel crank is heavier than my olds 455 nodular crank, so i'm thinking this 440 crank is a steel peice.

as for weighing, i don't have a scale but i will be sure to keep it in mind and when i get one i will post my findings.

thanks
Old 09-25-2005, 11:59 PM

I just wish I had photographed a cast crank when I had one in my hand!

The differences is very obvious. But you'll need to see a photo, I feel, to be confident about what you have.

Appreciate any help you can give with the weights...
Old 09-26-2005, 01:10 PM
Inactive User

The cast crank is nice and tidy with the casting line even and the edges are sharply defined. The steel units look like they were done with a chain saw, edges are rounded and uneven. There are usually sharp edges (as in cutcha) around the holes through the #1 and #4 rod journals and when standing on the flywheel mounting flange they will ring like a bell when tapped with a wrench. Once you have had the chance to see them side by side it's not a contest. If you try the ring thing be sure the damper bolt and washer are removed as they will dampen the sound and lead you astray.
Old 09-26-2005, 01:21 PM
Inactive User

Do a search using "cast crank" for bait, scroll down on PP2 for Tarrbabe/7-15-05 and check the pic posted by John K. Good pic for reference, should nail it for you.