Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 10-02-2005, 12:23 PM
Inactive User

Default Line bore on next rebuild?

Pulled the bearings after 8 years. Wear pattern seems a bit odd.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mainbearingwear1.jpg (117.1 KB, 47 views)
Old 10-02-2005, 06:34 PM

Lineboring is a drag, expensive, drag block to machine shop, custom timing chains...etc. Just get some plasti-guage and mock it up with fresh bearings. Ive seen block side #1 bearing worn big time because the guy wanted guitar string tight pulleys. If you go -.010 it might clean up a bad bearing surface, should plastiguage at different degrees rotation on the crank, but you have to take the crak out each time, cant rotate the crank with the plastiguage in. Then you may have to get it bored
Old 10-02-2005, 07:28 PM
Inactive User

Line boring is quite a bit to chew. Yeah what he said. Abnormal wear can be caused by many factors. Tight belts, engine not assembled right sometime in it's life, Manual and Automatic trans's make it wear different.

Least expensive bet is to take the crank to a shop and have it polished/turned and have a set of bearings matched with it. 440's are pretty forgiving so it'll be fine.

Steve
Old 10-03-2005, 10:31 PM
Inactive User

I guess the upper half of each bearing looked fine as you only posted the lower halves. If that is the case, "cap walk" or twist could cause wear patterns like shown in the picture. Check for proper main cap fit in the block registers. when I make caps, i make them almost impossible to install by hand, a light tap with a brass hammer should be required to seat the cap. A loose cap can twist easy causing the wear patterns shown in the picture.

*NOTE* An align bore/hone changes the location of the centerline of the crankshaft relative to the block/transmission mounting dowels. Sometimes, offset dowels are needed to center the transmission with the crankshaft.

Good luck.
Old 10-03-2005, 11:47 PM
Inactive User

Question non mopar questions ahead....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billydelrio
*NOTE* An align bore/hone changes the location of the centerline of the crankshaft relative to the block/transmission mounting dowels. Sometimes, offset dowels are needed to center the transmission with the crankshaft.

Good luck.
Ok guys don't flame me..but when I was younger I remember my dad side lining a BBChevy that had been align-bored. He said it never did act right...seemed like the timing was always off and was difficult to tune. He had the timing chain for an align bored block too. I guess my question is, what situation would deem a block in need of being align-bored. I don't think any HP gains would come from it, so is this just a repair procedure or is there something specific that folks are looking at when deciding to go this route.
I have access to this 427 and all the go fast parts (steel crank, Lunati cam... domed forged pistons and open and closed chamber heads (1 set each...untampered)....Im wondering if its worthwhile to go through this one or should I get another block? If it is worthwhile to work on this block...does anyone know where I can find some guidelines for setting up a align bored block.
Sorry this one isn't about Mopars, but I cant pass the opportunity to learn about something.
Old 10-04-2005, 01:32 AM
Inactive User

I have all my blocks linehoned, and that has never caused any problems. The amount of material removed from the cap mating surfaces is very minor. It may cause small slag in the timing chain, but so what. The chain pulls the cam, that side is always tight. Think about the slack in the dual idler gear drive, it's way greater than in even a very loose chain and I have even seen people bending their valves rotating an engine counterclockwise with those gear drives (cam timing changes so much). Having the main bearing bore round and in line is very important. The line honing should be done with the same fasteners you will use torqued to the recommended specs, even a switch from bolts to studs can change the shape of the bearing bore. These must be corrected, I think.
Old 10-11-2005, 10:28 AM
Inactive User

I usually have the mains line honed and the crank turned (or at least checked.)
the hone process takes off a minimum amount of material, and hasn't caused any problems with the timming that I know of.