Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 01-21-2000, 05:55 AM
Inactive User

Question

I recently purchased a 4speed from a 71 duster 340 to put in my 72 charger. What car has 4speed pedals that will work in my car? I can get the pedals from a 3speed dart will this work? The duster pedals were already gone. Do you have to cut a hole in the firewall? Would a factory 4speed charger have a hump or anything special that I would need to make this work? Would I need to leave the auto selector in park so it will start? I have never done anything like this before. I have always had autos so this is new. Will the drive shaft from my 727 work? Will the speedo cable interchange? Any other problems I havent covered?

Thanks in advance!!
Old 01-21-2000, 09:21 AM
Inactive User

Red face

Hey deek I wish you would've asked this question b4 you bought the trans. The problem here is your trying to put an A body small block trans in a B body(you didnt state if your charger has a sb or bb)the conflict comes from different wheelbases and shifter mounting locations.If your charger is a bb it wont work,if its a sb it can be made to possibly work but is really a waste of time and energy,what you need is a B body 4 spd with shift linkage.With a b body 4 spd you can use the same driveshaft, trans mount and speedo cable,as for your neutral safety switch leaving the auto column in park wont do any good because the switch is in the trans and the 4 spd doesnt use one(up to 69,70 used a clutch safety switch)to bypass this just ground the lower right spade terminal on your starter relay but always remember it will start in gear.The pedals interchange from A to B body and from 3 to 4 spd but the humps are slightly different so get one from a B body. You dont have to cut a hole in the firewall just remove the solid rubber grommet.You will also need the crosshaft and ball stud and bracket that mounts it to the frame rail, this will have to be cut off with a torch.Dont forget your carpet wont cover the hump.My best advice is to find a car you can get everything off of at one time it will save a few headaches...PRO..
Old 01-21-2000, 09:05 PM
Inactive User

Deek - that A body 4speed is a hard to find item. Don't let that go too cheaply.

Old 01-21-2000, 11:48 PM
Inactive User

Deek,

I have a clutch pedal and some other linkage goodies you may need - dismantled from my '70 340 4 spd duster way back when I thought an automatic was the ticket. Sold the car, kept the pedal. Want it??

reply privately to Robby Tonos at joetonos@tecinfo.com

MopART
Old 01-22-2000, 05:33 AM
Inactive User

Deek,
You need pedals from either a 71-74 B-body, or a 70-74 E-Body. I do not think the A-body ones are the same. Also, you need the 4spd hump out of eiher of the above mentioned B or E body's. 71-74 B-Body and 70-74 E-Body's use the exact same floorpans. These year B & E bodies share quite a bit of parts. You can use a Cuda/Challenger tranny, floorpan, shifter, etc.... What rear is in your car? If you do not have an 8 3/4, I'd think about getting one. Driveshaft may or may not work. If your car has a SB and a 904, your gonna need a different driveshaft. I think you will be ok if you have a 727. Keep in mind, that if you need to upgrade to the 8 3/4 rear, you will probably need a driveshaft, regardless.
Good Luck!

------------------

[This message has been edited by 440trk (edited January 21, 2000).]
Old 01-22-2000, 03:28 PM
Inactive User

Thanks for the info. I am still a little confused. Will the 4speed pedals from a 71 duster work in my 72 charger? Seems there is a difference of opinion. Also my charger has 318 now. The 4speed comes with shifter-fly wheel-clutch-pressure plate-bell house-Z bar-trans-mount-lots of other small linkages. Will my 69 340 have the right pilot bearing in the crankshaft? I am not sure if the motor is froom a auto ar manual car.Is the trans different from A to B body? If so What is the difference?

Thank you!
Old 01-22-2000, 05:04 PM
Inactive User

I'm gonna send you to a page on my site that has the answers to your q's. his name is wayne brewer in ohio and his ph # is
937-698-4259.he'll know for sure what you need and have it if it's to be had.
carl
http://members.xoom.com/dustermocar/brewers.htm

------------------
mocar or nopar
Old 01-22-2000, 06:52 PM
Inactive User

Carl's right; Brewer can answer your questions. I'd just add that in buying four speeds, big block or small block doesn't make any difference in bolting up to a four speed bellhousing. Some big blocks have an 18 spline input shaft instead of 23, but that just means you have to have a different clutch disc. (Overdrive 4 speeds are a different animal and need a special bellhousing). What DOES make a difference is the body. An A body 4 speed has the shifter mounted further back than a B body 4 speed. You can make anything fit, but why try to put a Duster (A body) trans in a Charger (B body) when you can just get a B body 4 speed in the first place? E body 4 speeds have TWO shifter mounting pads and can be used in either E or B bodies. If I remember correctly, these 4 speeds were also used in later model B bodies.

Same goes for the pedal assemblies. Best to start with an assembly from a B body, and even there you have to consider floorpan variations over the years. In general, 62-65 B bodies have one pedal assembly, 66-70 another, and 71-up still another. And, as suggested below, 71-up B and 70-up E's use basically the same floorpan so probably use the same pedal assembly although I personally haven't checked this. I have tried using a 68 Road Runner pedal assembly in a 62 Dodge; although I got it to work passably well, I later found a 62 stick-shift Dodge in a junk yard and got its pedal assembly. This worked much better, and the pedals hung where they were supposed to.

One more thing; if your 340 is from an automatic car, it probably hasn't been machined for a pilot bushing, but there is a new pilot roller-bearing available from any Mopar dealer that will work because it fits into the crank's torque convertor hub flange. There was an article about this in the June 1999 issue of Mopar Action. P/N is 4338876.

Really, a lot of this info has been printed repeatedly in various Mopar magazines. Best to educate yourself as to what fits what before you just go buying parts.

[This message has been edited by hemi-1 (edited January 22, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by hemi-1 (edited January 22, 2000).]