Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > General Chat > Virtual Chrysler Shareholders Meeting!

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

View Poll Results: Would you want some real affordable Mopar Sports Cars?
Yes! 22 61.11%
No 1 2.78%
Under 20k, Sign me up. 8 22.22%
Only with a HEMI 5 13.89%
Are you crazy? 0 0%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-31-2005, 11:33 PM
Inactive User

Default Wanted New 2-Door Mopars!

I believe that DXC should develop and manufacture at least two new sports cars to cater to its enthusiasts.

1. The first car should be a small (2-door) RWD coupe with looks that resemble the concept Razor. It should be powered by the SRT-4 2.4 Turbo engine (as the top HP option but to keep costs down, a non-turbo should be the base engine) mated to a 6-spd manual transmission (5-spd. Base). The car should be inexpensive; starting under 20k; in order to give the Pontiac solstice some strong Mopar competition. A roadster version could be produced also, first things first though. There should be enough demand for such a vehicle, call it the new Miata beater, maybe even a good Honda S2000 rival; but for much less.
2. The second sports car should be as many Moparchat users have stated prior; a 5.7 liter HEMI (2 – Door) RWD coupe with a 6-spd. Manual transmission standard or an optional F-1 style paddle-shift automatic transmission. This vehicle should have 2+2 seating and a long list of options so each buyer can tailor the car to their preferences (nice track/ strip or daily driver/ touring car).

We really need some fresh 2-door Mopars ; sorry I don’t think that you can all a Sebring or a Stratus a sports car. The Chrysler Crossfire is a close shot but it is priced too high for many (with-out much power either). These NEW Mopar sports cars should have some classic looks that resemble the past but also have distinct features that signal something new (The Dodge crosshair grille would be a good start). The names would also be crucial; it does seem that DaimlerChrysler does not understand that the Charger is a 2-door muscle car. I hope they don’t screw up again.

Am I right in my assumptions….would anyone buy these sports c
Old 11-01-2005, 12:02 AM
Inactive User

I want the neon srt 4 to be a 2 door, maybe I will buy one and make a conversion, I made a 69 valiant 4 door into a two door, a neon cant be that hard. well maybe it is but whatever.
Old 11-01-2005, 02:31 AM

I agree with all previous comments, by rights , DC should have had their sports car on the road before GM. It's always bothered me that Pontiac released the Solstice, a near clone of the Razor, after Lutz jumped ship to GM.
I do know if I buy a coupe, it won't be a Mitsubishi or any import, regardless of what badge they hang on it.
I'm real hopeful that the Challenger rumors are true. They seem pretty solid, but I haven't forgotten the disappointment when the 06 Charger didnt look as much like the Charger show car that everyone loved, I sure hope they dont make that mistake of building folks hopes up too much, whatever DC decides to release later on.
Old 11-01-2005, 03:05 AM
Inactive User

Smile

If DC can make anything NEAR a 93-02 Camaro, I'll be very interested. But Chrysler has not made anything near that since the mid '70's and the new 'Charger' has taken away my trust in DC's respect for Chrysler’s history.
-dus
Old 11-01-2005, 07:37 AM
Inactive User

I think the Challenger stories are just that, stories. After hearing the big wigs at DCX tout how fast they can churn out a car from inception to production vehicle there 4 year time lag makes me think it's all smoke and mirrors. The Charger idea was a good one when it first was shown. It had positive reviews, it rated extremely high amongst loyal Mopar buyers and was also highly rated by baby boomers. The final version was a very big dissapointmnet (styling wise). After that, the leadership at DCX just might take that lesson and pervert it into something bad. My guess is they will convince themselves that there is no market for a sports car and not produce another. It seems that they do not learn from their mistakes, but try to blame everyone else but themselves. If they want to remain competitive in the marketplace they will have to re-invent themselves. All car companies do that. I have seen a few Chargers out on the road, but they are certainly not a sales success. I can only imagine the hand wringing that is going on at the top. Maybe with Schrempf gone things can get back on track, but I wouldn't bet on it.
Old 11-01-2005, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by custom880
I have seen a few Chargers out on the road, but they are certainly not a sales success. I can only imagine the hand wringing that is going on at the top.
Actually, Chargers are selling rather well, from all indications.
"Despite indignation over its name, the Dodge Charger is on track to be a sales success"
http://auto.consumerguide.com/Articl...RGER_NAME.html
It may be awhile before final numbers are in, but the Charger is selling well, despite it's cool reception from some members of the Mopar hobby community.
Also, it's time to face reality. While DC would surely like Mopar enthusiasts to like the new Charger, Mopar fans who slam the new Charger now mean as much to DC as Airflow fans who may have not liked the Charger in 1966, and especially 68 and later. Your opposition is duly noted, but people are buying the 06 Charger and some of you may be familiar with the old saying, "money talks, BS walks..."
Old 11-01-2005, 12:51 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoga
Actually, Chargers are selling rather well, from all indications.
"Despite indignation over its name, the Dodge Charger is on track to be a sales success"
http://auto.consumerguide.com/Articl...RGER_NAME.html
It may be awhile before final numbers are in, but the Charger is selling well, despite it's cool reception from some members of the Mopar hobby community.
Also, it's time to face reality. While DC would surely like Mopar enthusiasts to like the new Charger, Mopar fans who slam the new Charger now mean as much to DC as Airflow fans who may have not liked the Charger in 1966, and especially 68 and later. Your opposition is duly noted, but people are buying the 06 Charger and some of you may be familiar with the old saying, "money talks, BS walks..."
Stoga your link is just a report about the so called likeability of the Charger. What sales reports are you seeing that shows the Charger is a success? The only report I saw was the June 2005 and it was NOT selling well at all. Mind you it just came out be even so in a solid month of selling they only managed to sell 8000 cars. remember they ditched the Neon because it was a slow seller. The final year of the Neon was over 100,000 cars. They would have to sell at least 150K to justify the Charger as being a success. At that rate you would be seeing a lot of them on the road and you just don't.
Old 11-01-2005, 01:11 PM
Inactive User

I dont know, I go thru the dodge lot here all the time and the chargers are just not moving, 300's are, why maybe the salesmen like em more, more money to be made, maybe, but the chargers are not selling here.
They stopped making the Neon and a couple days later their sales were up 69 percent. I will guarantee that what replaces it will not sell that good, as it is ugly.
My wife and I are looking into the ACR srt4 right now, we'll see I guess.
Old 11-01-2005, 01:25 PM

Biggrin

Back on track to the original question about a 2-door sportscar, does anyone remember a concept car a few years ago named the Copperhead? It was smaller than a Viper and much cheaper. A friend of mine is a foreman at a Chrysler Plant and he told me about it.
Old 11-01-2005, 01:26 PM
Inactive User

I dont know, the Chargers seem to be doing ok here, I have seen 3 or 4 of the Daytonas around, plus some R/Ts and a bunch of SXTs. I drive alot for work, so I come across most of them in the area in a couple of weeks. In fact, theres a Daytona and a R/T in the parking lot near my office every day.

Back to the original subject, Id love to see 1 or 2 2door RWD cars come off of the DCX lines. Especially some Hemis!
Old 11-01-2005, 01:28 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
Back on track to the original question about a 2-door sportscar, does anyone remember a concept car a few years ago named the Copperhead? It was smaller than a Viper and much cheaper. A friend of mine is a foreman at a Chrysler Plant and he told me about it.

I remember that car, its going to be out as a Chrysler with a hemi in it either next year or 07 from what I have heard. Its basically a rebodied viper with a hemi instead of the v10.
Old 11-01-2005, 01:36 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1973Swinger
I remember that car, its going to be out as a Chrysler with a hemi in it either next year or 07 from what I have heard. Its basically a rebodied viper with a hemi instead of the v10.

oops, my bad, im thinking of the Chrysler firepower, but i do remember the coperhead.

heres a link to the Firepower
http://www.rsportscars.com/eng/cars/..._firepower.asp
Old 11-02-2005, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Stoga your link is just a report about the so called likeability of the Charger. What sales reports are you seeing that shows the Charger is a success? The only report I saw was the June 2005 and it was NOT selling well at all.
Good question, cause after all that searching I wasnt able to find ANY sources for 05 Charger sales. I would love to see your report, if there is an online source for it.
As for what the local lots are selling, it seems to me that the economy isnt doing so well cause it appears the same cars are just settin on the lots, whether it's a Ford, Shivvy, Dodge or Import. Not much moving here, hopefully your area is doing better.
I know my purchasing plans have changed, I had planned to slide into a new Charger once the minivan is paid off this december, but instead I'm going to drive it as long as I can so I can avoid that double hit of car payments and full coverage insurance.
I have seen quite a few Chargers out on the highway, whenever I get out on the interstate and out of my local area. Locally, the V6 Magnum and 300s seem more prevelent.
Old 11-02-2005, 03:19 PM
Inactive User

I must correct myself. I was out today cruising in my Polara vert and I saw three different Chargers. All of them were privately owned (you can tell by the tags). So if I am seeing them down here they must be picking up in sales. Lets hope so. As much as I dislike them using the Charger name on this model I don't want it to fail. I just wish they showed more imagination than what they finally turned out. They had better never, ever, even think about basterdizing the RoadRunner name. I love Chargers but no way in Hell will they ruin the RR. They came ever so close in the mid to late 70's. If they try turn turn the RR into a 4 door and call it a Chrysler RoadRunner I will drop my gloves and beat the holy hell out of one of them one at a time!
Old 11-02-2005, 04:40 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
They had better never, ever, even think about basterdizing the RoadRunner name. I love Chargers but no way in Hell will they ruin the RR. They came ever so close in the mid to late 70's. If they try turn turn the RR into a 4 door and call it a Chrysler RoadRunner I will drop my gloves and beat the holy hell out of one of them one at a time!

Wow custom, tell us how you really feel!
Old 11-07-2005, 05:51 AM
Inactive User

someone made a 2 door
http://img.sportruck.com/events/sema05/north-hall/3.jpg
Old 11-07-2005, 07:36 AM
Inactive User

That looks pretty nice. Im not big on the urban style general lee theme, but the car looks nice as a 2 door.
Old 11-07-2005, 11:15 AM

Quote:
If they try turn turn the RR into a 4 door and call it a Chrysler RoadRunner I will drop my gloves and beat the holy hell out of one of them one at a time!
I wouldnt worry, I think GM has the inside track with Warner Bros these days, after they used the Tasmanian Devil for their truck commercials.
I'd be happy with a Roadrunner that used stylized Roadrunner badges that were based on the actual bird, though I would miss the beep beep horn.
If they ever do that Challenger coupe they are hinting about at the end of the decade, I'd be ok with a Chrysler or resurgent Plymouth Roadrunner version.
They probably couldn't call it 300 without confusing it for the 4 door, maybe they could resurrect New Yorker or maybe even Imperial?
Old 11-15-2005, 02:09 PM

Default Build it and they will come?

I saw the Copperhead at Carlisle a few years back and thought it was a great idea and a very good looking car. I don't think it would sell because folks looking for a small sports car don't look for them at Chrysler dealerships. BMW, Honda and Mazda appear to have a lock on that market based on what I see zippin' around.

I'll bet DCX is trying to figure out why the Mustang sells and the F-bodies don't. If they find the answer we may see something, probably based on an existing M-B chassis.

I would love to buy a RWD coupe or sedan about the size of a Dart. Leave off the power-everything, nav system, leather seats, mega-sound system...
Keep the weight down and make it handle like its on rails with good track times, not just high G numbers. Build a car that can keep up with an M3 for half the price and I'll get one.
Old 11-18-2005, 11:04 AM
Inactive User

Default Mopar has no hot rods

Ford is the only one that comes close with the new Mustang. A hot rod is a vehicle that can be worked on to improve it's performance. The average hot rodder has to buy a 5 year old vehicle and spend his money adding on as he goes, the Mustang is perfect. A new version of the Road Runner would be great but the it seems the Prowler crowd rule at Mopar, it's a shame that the new HEMI will only be hot rodded by a small group rather than the masses. Mopar had the market in 1970 and blew it, today all they are selling is badges.
Old 11-18-2005, 01:43 PM

I wonder how well sales of the Crossfire are doing compared to the number DCX anticipated? I see them on the road only slightly more often than I see Superbird limosines. I thought Ford's new T-bird would be a big seller, its gorgeous. My feeling is that its too expensive.

I don't think DCX will risk building a car that might flop. What is the market for a small, RWD coupe? My guess is its not big enough for more than one at a time. If DCX builds one it will have to be far superior to the Mustang to be a success. I say this because the Z-28, T/A out-performed the Mustang GT but didn't sell as well.
Old 11-18-2005, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loadrunner
I don't think DCX will risk building a car that might flop.
If thats the case, maybe they learned something after the Prowler failed, I agree with your assesment on the Crossfire as well. I expect it to join the Prowler in cancellation heaven before too long.
Both are/were basically too expensive with unconventional drivetrains, not the formula you want for high sales, IMHO. What were they thinking, one had an Intrepid drivetrain in the trunk while the other is Benz leftovers, thats their idea of an enthusiast's kind of ride?
A Hemi drivetrain in a shortened Charger chassis would make a very appealing Challenger/Roadrunner/whatever they decide to call it.
I think the Mustang can be challenged in it's market, they shouldnt let Shivvy's failure with the too heavy rattly POS Crapmaro scare them away from trying.
Old 11-20-2005, 08:53 AM
Inactive User

The GM "F" body failure was due, in part, to GM's failure to stay true to is original design. The Mustang (like it or not) is still true to it's original design. Essentially, except for the "Mustang 2" (which flopped) Mustang has not strayed from it's original design. Young people today buy 2005 Mustangs for many of the same reasons that young people bought 1965 Mustangs 40 years ago. They are exciting and different (when compared to sports compacts, and 4 door V8 cars).

Any design that DCX comes up with to compete with the Mustang, need to follow a similar formula. If they are going after the "Pony car" market they would need to stay true to the Cuda/Challanger design, which is very similar to the Mustang.

Another important piece of data about the new Mustang is that the V8 sales are up, and V6 sales are down, when compared to the last 5 years of sales. Even in the face of record gas prices, Ford sold more V8's than 6's.

Ford built what people were asking for, and it worked. GM and DCX are looking at sales figure of 2 doors, and seeing that they don't sell as well as 4 doors. Considering that besides Mustang, there isn't another American made 2 door, V8, 2+2 (with a "back seat") car made, what could they be comparing the sales figures to? I think if they had a 2 door V8 Pony car, it would sell well.
Just my opinion.
Old 11-20-2005, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankendart72
GM and DCX are looking at sales figure of 2 doors, and seeing that they don't sell as well as 4 doors. Considering that besides Mustang, there isn't another American made 2 door, V8, 2+2 (with a "back seat") car made, what could they be comparing the sales figures to? I think if they had a 2 door V8 Pony car, it would sell well.
Just my opinion.
Good point, this being the case, what they can't make up on volume they'll have to make on price. This is similar reasoning that led to the earlier cancellation of the 2 door Neon coupe at the last restyle.
A coupe or 2 door sedan is more of a personal car, the kind of thing that folks would spend money on for themselves because they aren't worried about carrying a ton of passengers. If they did, they'd buy something else.
If DCX does this right, they could sell enough high or upper mid price range Mopar coupes to make it worth their while, IF they have the right equipment at the right price.
I think the economy coupe market is dead, however. If not, the Japanese sure wouldn't be abandoning it.
Old 11-23-2005, 05:10 PM
Inactive User

Arrow

I have to correct myself, here. There is another American made V8 2+2, the GTO, but it's priced so that it's not in the same market as the Mustang. Actually, it's priced closer to the Corvette coupe.
Old 11-26-2005, 03:12 AM
Banned

I want a cheap hemi two door RWD!
Old 11-30-2005, 06:48 PM
Inactive User

Default New 2-door Mopar Spied!!!

Check this out , Just read it today

http://autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=103629

not bad... but looks expensive.
Old 01-17-2006, 09:34 PM
Inactive User

Default Copperhead

The Copperhead was mentioned earlier in this thread - here's a page with a pic & specs (says it was a V6):

http://www.fast-autos.net/dodge/dodgecopperhead.html
Old 01-17-2006, 09:40 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankendart72
I have to correct myself, here. There is another American made V8 2+2, the GTO, but it's priced so that it's not in the same market as the Mustang. Actually, it's priced closer to the Corvette coupe.

The GTO isn't American made, it's Australian. That's brobably the biggest source of the backlash on that car.
Old 01-17-2006, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundpounder18
The GTO isn't American made, it's Australian. That's brobably the biggest source of the backlash on that car.
Actually, the biggest source of backlash I've heard on the GTO was it's very boring and non-descript styling.
Sticking a split Pontiac grille on a potato sack aint gettin it!