Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 11-03-2005, 12:24 AM
Inactive User

Default Carb direction?

Gents,

I am going to try running a Tunnel Ram with two Holley’s on my engine. My question is: do I run them in-line or sideways? I’ve seen both and would like to know the reasons behind each.

Tha
Old 11-03-2005, 02:22 AM

Sideways gives them a smaller footprint on the mount, but inline would be my choice with side hung bowls and jet extensions, the linkage is alot easier too. sideways also uncovers the front jet on acceleration, cant really extend a jet to the side of the bowl. Im sure someone has a setup that could verify or bunk this, but the fluid dynamics are all there. Remember to tie in the vacuum pots on applicable carbs.
Old 11-03-2005, 05:42 AM
Inactive User

If you have good tunable carbs with the secondary metering blocks, you have to run them sideways. There isnt enough room to butt them end to end if they are longer carbs due to the secondary metering blocks. If you mount them sideways, make sure you use the center hung bowls, and if it REALLY flies, put jet extensions on.
Old 11-03-2005, 06:04 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pishta
Sideways gives them a smaller footprint on the mount, but inline would be my choice with side hung bowls and jet extensions, the linkage is alot easier too. sideways also uncovers the front jet on acceleration, cant really extend a jet to the side of the bowl. Im sure someone has a setup that could verify or bunk this, but the fluid dynamics are all there. Remember to tie in the vacuum pots on applicable carbs.
Pishta, what do you mean when you say it gives a smaller footprint? The butterflies are symetrical an a standard bore Holley.
Old 11-03-2005, 08:07 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B1owner
Pishta, what do you mean when you say it gives a smaller footprint? The butterflies are symetrical an a standard bore Holley.
It's not the butterflys, it's the mounting holes to the intake.
Old 11-03-2005, 08:43 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumblefish360
It's not the butterflys, it's the mounting holes to the intake.
The bolt pattern is symetrical also...
Old 11-04-2005, 01:04 AM

Footprint as in the total area the carbs occupy on a dual quad top. Since there is a distance between the two mounting pads, you need to determine if the carbs are going to have to fit sideways, as in center hung bowls as the bowls are physically larger, or inline if you can because the bowls are flat sided and shorter. Some are large enough to run either way, but that makes for a very long top, most have to run side hung inline or center hung sideways. Look up an Offy dual quad and youll see a note saying "Carter/Edel only, no Holley,even staggered."
Old 11-04-2005, 05:33 AM
Inactive User

The bad part about running them end to end is it makes jet changing a pain. If you run them sideways then you wont have to remove the carb to re-jet. Thanks Pishta for clearing that up, didnt know what you meant.
Old 11-04-2005, 05:37 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by B1owner
The bad part about running them end to end is it makes jet changing a pain. If you run them sideways then you wont have to remove the carb to re-jet. Thanks Pishta for clearing that up, didnt know what you meant.
Im talking about Holleys here of course!