Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 11-05-2005, 05:35 PM
Inactive User

Default Getting ready to put the 318 together...

Over the winter, Ill be putting my 318 together for the Swinger and thought Id run the combo past you guys and get your opinions and suggestions.

Here is what I have on hand....

-stock 73 318
-Edelbrock Performer intake
-Hooker full length headers
-Holley 650 Double Pumper
-Summit double roller timing set
-Summit cam (ill have to get the specs, im not sure about them off hand, someone looked at it and said it would be good for bottom and midrange)
-Ill be removing the A/C
-will be using electric fans
-Flowmaster Super 40 mufflers (dont have them yet, need to figure out size of exhaust)
-will use an x pipe

Basically what Id like to know is what should i do with the heads? should I have them ported or not? Also im wondering what Torque Converter to get. This car is gonna be a weekend driver and see a bit of time at the drags. Ill be installing a shift kit, probably a transgo. Ill be using 90/10 shocks and cal-tracs for suspension, probably 373 gears on a sure grip 8 1/4 rear. What other info do you guys need to judge this combo other than cam specs? Let me know so i can get the info for you. The heads are the stock pieces, im not sure what exactly they are, any way to tell without tearing the engine down? I have the fender tag if that would tell anyone. Its a 318 2bbl with a/c and automatic if that makes a diff. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Keep in mind though, im on a tight budget because im building a 408 stroker for it, so this engine will only be in for a year or two, i wont be getting too wild with it, i just want to boost performance a bit.
Old 11-05-2005, 05:51 PM
Inactive User

Default 318

I may be wrong but it seems to me that the carb you chose would be too much for 318. I am running a 600cfm on my warmed up 360 and it works great.

If you are talking about the K6901 Summit Cam kit, that is a good choice, I am using it in mine. But, since you said occasional drag use, you might want to move up to a more aggresive cam.

If you can find a set of '302' or '308' heads you can bump your CR a bit and get a lil more out of it. I am running a set of 9.0 to 1 pistons with the closed chamber heads...good combo for me.

just my .02 cents, there a alot of smarter guys out there so wait to hear from them too.
Old 11-05-2005, 06:08 PM
Inactive User

That may be the cam that I have, im not sure right now though. Ill have to go over to my old house where the car and parts are for now and get the spec card. The 650 DP is just what I have, not what I chose. I got it as part of a deal from one of my buddies when I sold him my old 4 wheeler. That carb is gonna eventually be matched up with another one that will sit on top of the tunnel ram for the 408, so I figured id use it on this motor until then. Most of the parts that I have are parts that came with the car when I bought it.
Old 11-05-2005, 07:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
-Edelbrock Performer intake
I dont like Performers, they dont perform, I even have one on my 1 ton out there idling in the yard as I write this, and I wouldnt give it to you if you were trying to build power.

Quote:
-Holley 650 Double Pumper
A vacuum secondary carb would be better, for you little motor........

Get a action plus, and a 260 ish cam with 450-490 lift, gasket match your heads and intake, and with some minor tuning, you'll be knocking at the door of 300 horses.........................................
Old 11-05-2005, 08:21 PM
Inactive User

I won´t say anything about a 8 cylinder, but good luck
Old 11-05-2005, 08:54 PM
Inactive User

A couple of items based on personal preference, a T.Q. carb would be a much better choice for a carb. A 5 blade Mopar fan with clutch would be a better choice for cooling.
2 1\2" pipes will be sufficient to 400 HP. Stay away from the trick shocks for street use, ditto the Cal-Tracs, the life you save could be mine or yours. Remember every thing is a system that must work together that includes the suspension. If the A\C is deleted a complete pulley package from a non A\C car should be used. The "RV" cam specs are sufficient for the street and will provide the best performance package. The 318 is a strong engine with a 4 BBL and factory parts, a series of modifications will probably not get the expected results. Check www.moparaction.com read the article on the "Green Brick" to get more info on A-body small block performance.
Old 11-06-2005, 10:37 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgetruckboy
I dont like Performers, they dont perform, I even have one on my 1 ton out there idling in the yard as I write this, and I wouldnt give it to you if you were trying to build power.

Well, if that isnt a good intake, I can always sell it and get a different one, what do you suggest? As for the carb, I really dont want to have to get another one, I already have the Holley, which was just freshly rebuilt by my buddy who is a Holley guru, so I know its a good carb, and I dont want to sell it. Is it going to hurt me that much to have a little too much carb on it? Im not trying to set any records with this thing, just have something fun to drive that can put a few Chevys in their place, behind me.
Old 11-06-2005, 10:41 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by George G. Leverette
Stay away from the trick shocks for street use, ditto the Cal-Tracs, the life you save could be mine or yours. Remember every thing is a system that must work together that includes the suspension.

Whats wrong with the shocks and Cal-Tracs? Ive heard alot of good things about the same basic suspension setup and how well it works together. Any suggestions on what I should use instead? I know I could go with Super Stock springs and a pinion snubber, but I dont want to have to redo everything once there is 600+ ponies under the hood.
Old 11-06-2005, 11:18 AM
Inactive User

I have a 218 in my truck, 600 cfm is too much. If I could build it over again, I would use a 500 cfm. Try to find the 302 swirll chamber heads, it is a better head than the stock 73. going with a 2 1/2 inch exhaust may hurt the low end, a 2 1/4 inch is much better for such a small motor
I have a comp cams 268 hi energy cam in my truck, I really like it, I'm not sure, but I think it specs out close to the old 340 cam. what works well on a 360, may not work as well on a 318.
Old 11-06-2005, 11:47 AM
Banned

It isnt the 650 being to big, its the chance of the double pumper over feeding it at low RPM, will take a bit to get used to, but oyu can do just fine.
As far as intakes, I would use a stock cast, or, a Action plus. I still think the cast is a better manifold anyway)
If you can run down one, a holley STREET dominator is a treasure! It is a single plane that has the small port configuration. Builds great low end for a single plane.
I run 600cfm's on my small port 318's, with no trouble.
Old 11-06-2005, 11:54 AM
Inactive User

have you thought about using heads for a magnum engine? they have bigger valves.
Old 11-06-2005, 12:11 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

Basically what Id like to know is what should i do with the heads? should I have them ported or not?
If you have the coin to port them, do so, just add 360 valves. 1.88-1.60. Measure the pistons on how far down the hole they are. Gasket thickness and head cc. Do the math for the ratio. IMO, adjust it for 9.0-1 - 9.5-1, via head mill.

Also im wondering what Torque Converter to get. This car is gonna be a weekend driver and see a bit of time at the drags.I'm not a auto tranny guy, I'd do a 2,000 stall with those 3.73 gears.

Ill be installing a shift kit, probably a transgo. Ill be using 90/10 shocks and cal-tracs for suspension, probably 373 gears on a sure grip 8 1/4 rear.
Use a MoPar deep pad and tranny cooler if temps run boarder line. Trannys like to be cool and quick shifting. 90/10 shocks are a poor choice for the street even though it will see limited use. Stock shocks would be safer and wiser. Remember they change out with ease and quickley. The Cal-Tracs will show no improvment now, but should later. Remember, theres fellas out there running 10's and quicker with S/S springs.

i just want to boost performance a bit.
I think you'll like it. In general, it sounds like a good build.

The performer will do very well on the 318. The 650 will have to be dailed in, but will be fine. Since it's a DP, when your at the line, there will be no stomping the long pedal. Ease into it. It'll be fine. Find the area on the pedal and it's travel points where the engine can accept the stomping of the pedal. To early, it'll bog. To late, loss of ET.

marksram, Good cam to use for starters. Cam choices are subject to opinions, which are like farts. Everyone has them and they all think the others farts stink more. (Unless your pround. LOL )
Your question should have been a new thread.
Start one up and give some details of your engine and ride with intended purpose.
We'll all be there.
Old 11-06-2005, 12:53 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumblefish360
Use a MoPar deep pad and tranny cooler if temps run boarder line. Trannys like to be cool and quick shifting. 90/10 shocks are a poor choice for the street even though it will see limited use. Stock shocks would be safer and wiser. Remember they change out with ease and quickley. The Cal-Tracs will show no improvment now, but should later. Remember, theres fellas out there running 10's and quicker with S/S springs.

What about a set of the QA1 shocks? would they be a better choice for street and strip use? I figured the Cal-Tracs wouldnt really do a ton right now, but they would once I get the 408 in there. Would I be better off with s/s springs and traction bars or something along those lines? By Mopar deep pad, do you mean deep pan? I am definately gonna run a trans cooler, I have to because of the Radiator Ill be running, it doesnt have the built in cooler because its a 4 speed radiator.
Old 11-06-2005, 02:17 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

Yes, deep pan, not pad.
Adjustable shocks are a fantastic invention. By all means, dial them in for street use first. Why, because thats where you can do the most damage to yourself and others. Then the track which is trail and error for a bit until you find where you need to be. Get a pen and paper for records keeping.
Cal-Tracs now for later is fine. No traction bars with S/S springs.
If you want to end up with Cal-Tracs, get them now. Beats paying for springs that are a temporary thing. I just figured I'd tell ya people can run quick on S/S springs.
You made your choice for the Cal-Tracs, stick to it. Good choice IMO.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:17 PM
Inactive User

Thanks for all of the suggestions guys, I think im gonna pretty much stick to my original build, but I will be making a few changes, such as the adjustable shocks, and mopar fan, etc. Ill let you all know the progress once i get the engine pulled, its gonna get painted and all that over the winter too.