Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 11-07-2005, 03:43 AM
Inactive User

Question What is correct wheel backspacing for a '71 Charger?

1971 Charger - I'm just about ready to have an original 8 3/4 (3.55 sure grip) installed on my car. I currently have an 7 1/4 (open). In addition I purchased a professionally refurbished set of drum brakes as I was told my old ones wouldn't work on the larger axles, and were in need of a total overhaul anyhow. I was also told that there is a good chance that my current wheels may also be to small. That sounds very wrong to me, they are 15" so I'm assuming they would work just fine. This is why I ask you guys. Sometimes I need to feel sane after wading in a pool of non Mopar idiots. Since these wheels are in need of replacing anyway can someone tell me what is the correct backspacing for this combination, so I can buy the correct wheels. Also, what is the backspacing for the front wheels as well. The car is stock Ma Mopar disk equipped in front.
Thanks much.
Old 11-07-2005, 08:42 AM

If the 8¾ is the correct one for 1971, then the overall width should remain the same. If you have factory 15" rims, then the backspacing will remain the same
Old 11-07-2005, 11:35 AM
Banned

Biggrin

Your Charger should have an 8 1/4 or 8 3/4 already in it. A 7 1/4 would not last long in that heavy car. Stock wheels on the Charger were either 14" or 15" with either axle. The back space should be 4.25 or 4.5 on standard wheels. A 255/60 15 will fit easy under all four corners and give you decent handling. May I suggest you install a 1 1/8" front and a 3/4" reasr sway bar as well. This really helps the handling of these heavy cars. I own a few of them myself and the bars really help.
Old 11-07-2005, 08:07 PM

Sorry, but the smaller engined ones did come with a 7¼" rear
Old 11-07-2005, 09:40 PM
Inactive User

Idea Another question for Ehostler or anyone who might know

Ehostler - The rims I have are low quality Cragar imitations that came with the car when I got it, and the rear end I'm installing is year correct. One of the moparchations said the backspacing was 4.5 - Is that for the front as well?
Also, It looks like I'm going to be getting a free set of "bling" rims - probably 18's. Not my preference, but they'll hold me over until I can get the expensive 15's that I want. This may be a stupid question, but does the backspacing change at all with the larger rim size? I assume not, but I figured better safe than sorry. Thanks much.
Old 11-07-2005, 10:48 PM

Backspacing determine how far in/out the wheel sits. If you go to a wider tire, you should determine how it is going to fit into the well and then determine the proper offset/backspace.
Old 11-10-2005, 11:54 AM
Banned

Biggrin

Quote:
Originally Posted by chargerfreak
Ehostler - The rims I have are low quality Cragar imitations that came with the car when I got it, and the rear end I'm installing is year correct. One of the moparchations said the backspacing was 4.5 - Is that for the front as well?
Also, It looks like I'm going to be getting a free set of "bling" rims - probably 18's. Not my preference, but they'll hold me over until I can get the expensive 15's that I want. This may be a stupid question, but does the backspacing change at all with the larger rim size? I assume not, but I figured better safe than sorry. Thanks much.

Most likely the 18's wont fit. Sell them for the correct wheels that you need. The bigger wheels cause handling issuse and with the added weight and already poor brakes makes stopping even harder. And backspacing usually stays the same front to back on stock wheels, but change once you start getting wider rims to clear the fenders and such.
Old 11-11-2005, 05:30 PM
Inactive User

The current Mopar Action (Feb.2006) has a detailed article on this very subject. You should be able to figure it all out from the story.