Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 11-07-2005, 11:15 AM
Inactive User

Default car only runs if you hot wire?

does it mean you have a bad ignition switch if the car only starts when you hot wire at the firewall?It runs fine if you leave the key in run and hot wire it but it won't start if you turn the key.It started awhile ago 2 or 3 turns and it would start.Now nothing at the key.Acc works but nothing on start!!!

Thanks anyone who can help!!!!
DUDLEY
Old 11-07-2005, 04:23 PM
Inactive User

have you checked the ballast resistor? If it tries to start on the key - but just won't keep running, it should be a blown resistor. If nothing on the key - may be neutral switch lockout or ignition switch or???
Old 11-07-2005, 04:37 PM

Is the problem that the starter won't engage, or it won't start after turning over with the starter?

I suspect the problem is it won't turn over unless jumpered at the relay. Test the yellow wire on the firewall starter relay to see if it has power when the key is inthe Start position, if it does, remove the brown wire next to it ("G" terminal) and ground the terminal on the relay. If it will then turn over the Neutral Safety Switch is the problem.

If it still won't turn over the relay is bad.
Old 11-08-2005, 09:54 AM
Inactive User

I had this problem, turned out one of the connections in the bulkhead connector went bad. I took it apart wire brushed and put some dielectric grease in and never had a problem with it again.
Old 11-08-2005, 10:42 AM
Inactive User

thanks guys.The car runs fine when you leave it in the run on the key side and jump it at the relay.!!!!I saw smoke coming out of the yellow wire at the ignition switch.maybe switch is gone?
Old 11-08-2005, 01:04 PM
Inactive User

It's not the ballast resistor at fault, it's the circuit that bypasses it during cranking that's not working.

You didn't say the year and model of car you're working on. But if it's like my 73, the yellow wire is the one that puts power to the start relay when you twist the key. But offhand, I'd say you do need a new switch. You should be getting 12v to the coil through the brown 14 gauge wire when you crank it. It should run from the switch, through a column disconnect, through the firewall disconnect (another possible trouble area), then to the ballast resistor. The terminal on the resistor you're looking for will have two brown wires, one from the switch, the other to the coil. HTH
Old 11-10-2005, 06:06 PM
Inactive User

Biggrin Hot Wire

THANKS ALOT for all the help.No power at the yellow wire on the starter relay.Must be the ignition switch.Starts fine at the relay put in new relay samething.Its pretty funny starting a 40,000 dollar car with a 2 dollar screwdriver.I guess the best part is its winter here so time to take it apart!!!!

THANKS AGAIN ALL!!
JEFF