Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 11-15-2005, 03:10 PM
Inactive User

Unhappy 440 Mysterious Ignition Failure

I have a 1969 Dodge Coronet 500 that among other changes now runs a 440 RB with the electronic ignition conversion and an MSD Blaster SS Coil combined with "chrome" Chrysler ECU. The problem is this: the engine will start and run fabulous...only for about 20 minutes or untill fully warmed to running temp, then without hesitation or warning it flat out dies. Now if I try to restart right away there is no firing untill I turn the key from the run to the off position and then I can see one spark come from the coil wire. I can crank it over and over again and every time I move the key to the off position one spark is emitted. Let it sit for about 8-10 minutes and it will start right back up. I have checked the fuel delivery thinking it might have been vapor lock (before I even realized it was not getting a spark) and even gone to electric fuel pump without a cure. I have tested the ignition system by jumping the connecting wires coming from the distributor and yes I am getting a spark from the coil wire to a ground. But when I just crank the motor with the coil wire near a ground there is NO spark. HELP ME PLEASE!??
Old 11-15-2005, 03:48 PM

check reluctor gap in distributor, maybe the heat is expanding something in there and moving the pickup. i would also replace the ballast resistor, cheap insurance. Get another ECU, 14 bucks and itll sit happily in your "ignition troubleshooting kit" in the trunk along with your old ballast resistor. Next time it craps out, jump the ballast resistor and see what happens. Try troubleshooting a DIS setup, now that is a pain...
Old 11-15-2005, 04:07 PM
Inactive User

I had this problem before.It was the magnetic pick up in the dist.
It actually felt like the motor would turn over when I turned the key off.
Old 11-15-2005, 04:45 PM
Inactive User

Idea

Bingo dusterrcr that is exactly what its doing, I guess I will try replacing that as jumping the ballast resistor doesn't help and I have already tried another ECU. Thanks!
Old 11-15-2005, 04:51 PM

Ha, I was just going to add "new pickup" to your kit.
Old 11-15-2005, 05:16 PM
Inactive User

O.K. good, after you change it,your going to need one of those non-metallic feeler gauges.Cant remember what the gap is,but its very tight!
Old 11-15-2005, 05:23 PM

Reluctor gap is .008".
Old 11-15-2005, 07:03 PM
Inactive User

Have you tried another ignition coil? The coil on our old Ford tractors act just like that when they go bad. Another thing that causes this trouble on those old things is the ignition swtich. Gets some corrosion on the contacts, will work OK for a while, but the current heats things up and the contacts won't, well, "contact" like they should.
Old 11-15-2005, 07:52 PM
Inactive User

You can shoot the entire system except for the dist pickup by disconnecting the distributer lead and grounding the bare connector on the ignition end of the dist lead with ignition switch on. Hold the distributer end of the coil wire close to metal when you scratch the distributer lead and it will fire something fierce, also when you shut off the ignition switch. Try this at the no start condition and if you have spark doing this simple test it's the pick up coil.
Old 11-17-2005, 07:11 PM
Inactive User

Biggrin Problem Solved!

I replaced the dist. with a new/rebuilt unit (only $65 bucks) as all the parts deep down in mine (rebuilt 7 years ago out of a '73 New Yorker Broughm 440) were looking quite worn and some were rusted. Now she runs like she's 'posed to! Thanks for all the suggestions!