Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 12-03-2005, 12:30 AM
Inactive User

Default timing chain lubrication

Hi,I have 2 340 engines '72 and '73 .The '72 ( which I am rebuilding at this point ) oils the timing chain Through a hole drillled through one of the thrust plate bolts ( upper pass. side bolt ) . The '73 uses a small drip pan rather than the hollow bolt and the thrust plate is held by only 3 bolts .According to Herb Mc Candless and other reputable LA engine builders LA engines are hard on timing chains and based on my experience I tend to agree . Having said that, assuming that it is a lubrication issue ,which of the 2 configurations will do a better job lubricating the timing chain : the hollow bolt ('72 engine) or the drip pan ('73 engine) or maybe a combination of both (hollow bolt AND drip pan ) . Your comments will be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-03-2005, 01:16 AM

I like the hollow bolt and the slinger with some Lucas oil treatment. Hollow bolt sprays on the chain, off the lifter galley pressure, right? Just run a tensioner and check once in a while.
Old 12-03-2005, 01:18 AM
Inactive User

Default Timing Chain Oiling

A friend of mine sent me a picture of a W2 race engine he bought a while back and it had the hollow hex screw and the timing tab on it. I thought it was a good idea to use both.

Keep in mind there are only two reasons a company makes a change like that. One is to fix a problem. The other is to make it cheaper. I think the tab is a cheaper solution than the hollow screw.
Old 12-03-2005, 05:51 PM
Inactive User

hello, the hollow bolt does not run off pressure. it only allows excess oil in lifter gallery to flow out on chain. I have found two things that will help longer chain life. one, use a slinger on the crank. the most important is to drop the chain in to a can of motor oil while you're assembling the short block. this will ensure it has plenty of lubrication on start up. also, I don't use a tensioner either, they stretch the chain and shorten up it's life. the chain in my 340 has way over 400 runs and sees 7100 RPM in the traps. it still is snug. just food for thought!!
Old 12-03-2005, 06:33 PM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by perfmachst
I don't use a tensioner either, they stretch the chain and shorten up it's life.
C'mon, that puny little spring is gonna stretch the chain? It just takes the slop out of the slack side. What do you think about the theory that the cogs wear and not the chain? Some chain manufacturer claimed that their hardened cogs didnt wear,so the chain never got "sloppy" due to a reduced cog diameter.
Old 12-03-2005, 06:34 PM
Inactive User

Default Tensioner use

On a race engine that sees more tear downs a tensioner isn't needed. On a street engine that won't see frequent tear downs, I beleive one would be worth the use. It will keep the timing more accurate in an engine that sees miles instead of quarters.

Just thinking out loud.
Old 12-05-2005, 01:54 AM
Inactive User

I'm looking at a brand new MP tensioner and a question comes to my mind ;Has anybody using this tensioner long enough had any problems with the plastic parts it has ? I mean breaking or something ...
Old 12-05-2005, 02:21 AM
Inactive User

Use a true roller chain set like a Coyles. The pins actually rotate free from the shaft that holds them in place. Most of the Chrysler roller chains do not have this feature. They are supposed to,but if you check them the roller part does not spin free. I have run Chrysler chains and some after market chains. If the rollers don't rotate,the chain will wear out and wear the sprockets also. Quality spockets are hardened. If you don't see a blue tint on the gear teeth it probably isn't hardened. I have run Coyles double rollers on the street and strip. Never had a problem. Shift RPM is 7500. Dan