Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 12-22-2005, 10:12 PM
Inactive User

Default Kobalt - Snap On / Husky - MAC

I am looking to get a new tool box for Christmas because my Snap On box is all filled. I was thinking of getting a Kobalt because they are a division of Snap On. I was trying to compare Kobalt and Craftsman boxes to see which would be a better deal then I came across this.

Quote:
Here is something interesting I found as I was looking for tool chests.

Kobalt too boxes and chests are made by Snap On at their Snap On tool box manufacturing facility in Algona, Iowa. Snap On also makes the Kobalt tools. The Kobalt brand uses different forgings than the Snap On as well as different materials and heat treatments.

There are three major tool manufacturers in the US; Stanley, Danaher, and Snap On. Each of these sells tools under a variety of names.

Home Depot's line, Husky, is made by Stanley Works. Stanley also makes the line of MAC tools and Proto Tools in the same plants with the same forgings.

Sears brand, Craftsman, is made by Danaher Tools. Craftsman, prior to 1994, was made by Stanley but was beat out that year by Danaher. Danaher also makes MatCo tools.

Now S-K was purchased by FACOM several years ago. Many of the FACOM tools are actually stamped with S-K. FACOM, once noted to be one of Europe's finest tool manufacturers is using much of the old S-K line now and simply rebadged them. The S-K "pro" screwdrivers are now FACOM "ergotwist" screwdrivers. There are other examples too.

Now I am really wondering about just how many toolbox manufacturers there are.
Old 12-22-2005, 10:40 PM
Inactive User

Smile

I do not really see much reason in getting a Snap-On/Mac box unless you need to make payments, although I would think that the Sears card would accomplish the same thing.
I am happy with my Craftsmen box and my dad is happy with his. Really, I just don't see any reason to get Snap-On/Mac at there prices...

I do not have experience with, nor does anybody at the shop own the other brands you mentioned.
Old 12-22-2005, 11:36 PM
Inactive User

Default There all real good!

Some guys use the Snap-on, Matco, Mac tools for the service they get.
The guys in the little trucks, or big trucks, come around to the shops and some mechanics like that.
As for me, I don't need the front door service. I buy craftsman and they do just fine. If one breaks I just go to the sears store and get a replacement.
When I was wrenching on a funny car team we only used Mac tools ( Mac tools was on the side of the car).
The team had more money into Mac tools, than Mac tools had into the team.
I'll just say this, When the sticker came off the car, we started using Craftsman tools and the bills were paid by a beer co. and a soft drink co.
Old 12-23-2005, 03:25 AM
Banned

Biggrin

Dad has a Snap On box, he bought in 73, I can still sit on the drawer and open/close it with no problems.
My Craftsman, is about shot.
I was eyeing husky boxes, and the craftsman roller boxes just yesterday............................
As far as tool's?
S+K, and Craftsman, but you just cant beat snap on sockets, and screwdrivers.
Old 12-23-2005, 05:22 AM
Inactive User

I used to have a pretty big set of snap-on tools and boxes which i sold when i moved to Florida years ago. Ill never spend that kind of money on tools again. I have nothing but Craftsman boxes and tools now, they work just as good as my Snap-ons did and have just as good of a warranty. Now I have more money for parts for the car than I would if I had spent all of my money on Snap-on tools.
Old 12-26-2005, 09:15 PM

at work I use snapon at home Kobolt is replacing my old craftsmen stuff.

I did get a xmas sale box to take to junk yards ( RB77383 and CrazyMoParGirl had a nice craftsman box set) What I was looking for was what thiers did well that was hold all the tools in place when you drop it off a fender.LOL ..
My new box from craftsman is a POS ( tools are nice box is cheep ) 70% of the tools fall out when tiped not even dropped, so I will still look for a new box to take yarding.