Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 01-03-2006, 05:50 PM
Inactive User

Default Is the Lockwire real necessary by Wilwood brakes?

Hi @ all and a happy new year.

I´m installing a discbrake convertion kit from wilwood on my 67 Coronet. The disc assembly consist of the rotor, hub and adapter plate. These parts are connected to eachother with six bolts per each. In the installation manual stands, that you have to safe the bolts by using lockwire between the them. My problem is, that I couldn´t find a dealer how offers lockwire. Do you think that loctite will do the job as well?

Thanks in forward

greetings J
Old 01-03-2006, 06:17 PM

I am not familiar with that kit, but I have had experience with locking wire. If your bolts have cross drilled holes in them, any annealed solid wire will work, but stainless steel wire would be best. Generally, the wire is wound around each bolt in a way that if it starts to loosen, it tightens the next one, and so on.

I would contact Wilwood and ask for their advice. If they felt that Loc-Tite would replace the locking wire, They probably would have mentioned it. I am surprised that the kit didn't include the required wire.

Locking wire is often used in aircraft assembly. You might check with an aviation repair facility to see if they have any to sell.
Old 01-03-2006, 07:23 PM
Inactive User

I went through the same question a few months ago. The Wilwood kit for my wife's 1940 sedan also specified lock wire. Lock wire tying is not the easiest thing to do properly.

At the same time, we have used Wilwood brake systems on our race cars for years---without lock wire---and without any problems.

I ended up using "Red" Locktite without the lock wire. But, I also torqued the bolts with a torquewrench.

That's what I did---not saying it's correct thing to do.
Old 01-03-2006, 08:43 PM
Inactive User

Default Safety Wire

It's best to use the wire as it holds up better due to constant heat changes. The safety wire is sold by earl's, alcon, and other roundy round shops. As well as from these guys www.speedwaymotors.com . If you race you can get away with loctite, but if you use it for a fun car, as in not always pulling off the brakes to change pads between rounds, street driven then go with the wire. A roll of wire usually costs about $10 and the wire twister pliers $15-$20. Also most shifter cart shops carry it to.
Old 01-03-2006, 10:49 PM

Most people call it safety wire. You can find safety wire at many places (to include summit and Jeg's). With the correct safety wire pliers, it is very easy to do properly.