Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 01-06-2006, 02:22 PM
Inactive User

Default Need Help With Headwork

Okay. I've got a stock 318, with a 292 214 449 Erson cam, 318 heads casting number 4027163 (1.78/1.50 valves, 63 cc), a 360 cast intake, Quadrajet carb, and a set of Flowmaster headers. I am going to school here at a tech school, and just found out that I can get headwork done for the cost of parts only, all labor is free. I don't want to go wild. I was thinking just keep the same valves, port match to the intake and header gaskets, and also mill them down a little bit. The main information that I need right now is how much should I mill the heads down, and also the intake? I need to know this information fairly quickly, as they are starting headwork the middle of next week. Thanks in advance for all your help.

Eric
Old 01-06-2006, 03:25 PM
Inactive User

Default Find a 318 intake or 360 heads.

I would not use a 360 intake on a 318 headed motor.
I would find 360 heads for your 318. have the heads CCed and the piston at TDC and find out the CC for it. Get the CC of the head gasket also.
Next, just do the math and try to get close to 9 to 1 comp.
Old 01-07-2006, 11:31 AM
Banned

Biggrin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewatts94ram
Okay. I've got a stock 318, with a 292 214 449 Erson cam, 318 heads casting number 4027163 (1.78/1.50 valves, 63 cc), a 360 cast intake, Quadrajet carb, and a set of Flowmaster headers. I am going to school here at a tech school, and just found out that I can get headwork done for the cost of parts only, all labor is free. I don't want to go wild. I was thinking just keep the same valves, port match to the intake and header gaskets, and also mill them down a little bit. The main information that I need right now is how much should I mill the heads down, and also the intake? I need to know this information fairly quickly, as they are starting headwork the middle of next week. Thanks in advance for all your help.

Eric

Get rid of the quadrajunk carb and find you a Thermoquad and you will see a big difference in power right away. The 360 intake will work great and a 8007 Weaind Action Plus will work even better. You need to step up to 2.02 and 1.60 valves and that's easy since you have the equipment handy. Mill the heads down .035 and with a paper gasket you wont have to mill the intake. A better choice of heads would be to go with some X,J, or U heads with the big valves as well. : up:
Old 01-07-2006, 01:28 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

Quote:
The main information that I need right now is how much should I mill the heads down, and also the intake? I need to know this information fairly quickly, as they are starting headwork the middle of next week. Thanks in advance for all your help.
The info requested , not advice is;

To reduce the chamber volume, remove .0053" from the surface per 1cc of chamber volume. For each .010" removed from the head, .0095" must be removed from the intake face of the head.

This still leaves you with a fact finding tour of your engine. You will need to find the following;
1. How far down the cylinder the piston is @ Top Dead Center. (TDC).
2. How many cc's the cylinder head chamber is.
3. How thick the gasket is going to be. The bore size should also be know to get a more accurate figure when you do the math for the ratio.
A compresion ratio calculator should really help here.
A 9.0-1 should be good. I would not exceed 9.5-1 on a iron headed engine with a mello cam like yours.

On the intake, what is it you would like to know? Mill the intake? This may be needed in order to keep the holes lined up. The area that may be milled is the intake to block surface to reduce the overall height as it sits on the engine block combo.