Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 02-06-2006, 01:57 PM
Inactive User

Default 70 440 Radiator Overflow

I have a newly purchased 70 440 with a 3 row radiator. There is a Harwood overflow bottle attached to the side of the radiator and everytime I get back from a drive, there is a LARGE puddle formed and it is coming from the Harwood bottle. There is a valve on the bottom of the bottle.... My question is:
Is this normal...I wouldn't think so?
Should the valve on the bottle be closed?
What would cause the excessive amount of overflow after a drive?

I have checked the level of antifreeze and it is 1" below the filler neck of the radiator. Is it overfilled?

Thanks for any help you can give to me.
bb_1.jpg
Old 02-06-2006, 04:13 PM
Inactive User

Can anyone be of help with this newbie??

Thanks
Old 02-06-2006, 04:29 PM

Nice ride! The valve should be open if it is a ball type shutoff valve that comes from the filler neck. You want a pressure type radiator cap with an overflow tube going to the radiator. On the The hot line should be about the same level as the radiator cap with the cold line being about 3 inches below that. The catch bottle just recovers any fluid that pressure blows past the radiator cap and is supposed to suck it back into the radiator when the water cools. There should be no fluid escaping the overflow reservoir at any time, but the tank should be vented at its highest level.
Old 02-06-2006, 04:56 PM
Inactive User

Thanks for the response. There is a "ball type" shutoff valve under the overflow bottle. That is where the excessive water/coolant is coming from upon shut off. The car runs great and does not puke water until shut down. There are no leaks from the radiator either. I just do not know why it is puking so much water from the bottom of the overflow tank. The valve on the bottom of the overflow tank turns 180 degrees (opened to closed). Is it suppose to be wide open? If it were closed, and not allowed to leak out upon shut down, what would be the difference(or harm) if it were closed? Could it be a faulty thermostat? The bottom rad' hose is new and does not kink at all.The top rad' hose is hotter than the bottom hose...
Old 02-06-2006, 05:20 PM
Banned

Biggrin

The valve on the bottom of the bottle is just a drain to remove trash and so forth when you change your coolant. It should be fully closed. The line from the rad to the bottle should not have a valve and if it does, it shoule be fully open.
Old 02-06-2006, 07:56 PM
Inactive User

try running it around 2inches below the top and see how it does
Old 02-06-2006, 11:06 PM
Inactive User

Thanks for all of the help...... I will give it a go in the morning. I just received the car and wondered why the valve was opened. It is a sweet car with most all of the pans, panels already repaired or replaced. I am finding out more as I comb through her....... although it is taking a while.... ever now and then I have to step back, look at her, and SMILE!!!