Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 02-06-2006, 07:41 PM
Inactive User

Default Mastercylinder help

Hi all,I am having no luck with the Advance auto/Autozone reman master cyl.The first 1 I installed would not bench bleed,the 2ndhad no pedal{yes I know how to bleed the system}this is the 3rd and it worked ok for about a year and now has started not activating the rear brakes properly,I dismantled the rear brakes and checked/rebled them to no avail.My question is I would like to switch to a new style M.P aluminum style master but am unsure which 1 to use?My car is a 75 Roadrunner,factory disc/drum,power brakes & roll control.Any help would be appreciated,thanks,John
Old 02-07-2006, 12:51 AM
Inactive User

How about a junkyard stock m/c from just about any rear driver? I had similar probs with a reman iron m/c and finally bought a rebuild kit for my old oem m/c. It's not on the car yet, but the kit was pretty complete, including a new piston. The aluminum body was in great condition after disassembly and thats why I bought the kit. I'll try and find the make and part # if you're interested.
Old 02-07-2006, 11:29 AM
Banned

Biggrin

Also check your rear drums for too much wear and replace your brake fluid. Rust from the lines will destroy a new master in no time quick and water contamination can cause spongy pedals.
Old 02-07-2006, 10:06 PM
Inactive User

Thanks for the replies guys,I probably will try to find a master in the J/Y,
DW the whole system{linings,drums,brake hardware,hard &flex lines}is new I did remove the drums to check everything once I found the brakes screwed up.What vehicle would have the best match for my car?
Old 02-08-2006, 02:08 AM
Inactive User

OK, Mopar Action tech archives (check the "DISCOTECH' article) says the aluminum m/c was a '79 - on part with a 2-bolt attach. You could use one if you go with the matching booster. Unless of course you already have a 2-bolt master.
Old 02-08-2006, 04:29 PM
Inactive User

The Mopar Performance master cylinder P5249271 is the one that a lot of guys use. If you have a 4 bolt mounting you will need to get a P5249315 4 bolt to 2 bolt adapter and because of the extra thickness of the adapter you will need a P4510640 adjustable pushrod. That will give you all new parts and you won't have to worry about buying someone else's problems out of a wrecking yard.
Old 02-08-2006, 09:25 PM
Inactive User

I would go to your local carquest store and buy the correct master cyl.For that car and the problem should fixed . Ive heard about alot of problems about there parts from advance or autozone
Old 02-08-2006, 11:19 PM
Inactive User

Thanks everyone for the replies,I am checking prices on the M.P pn given by Mdean{Thank you}
Old 02-09-2006, 12:29 AM
Inactive User

I also had problems getting good rebuilds from my local NAPA so I went to Autozone then O'Reileys. Found out they all get their parts from the same place called Cardone remanufacturing. After I found out NAPA had a website and I looked online at www.napaonline.com I found NAPA offered a brand new master cylinder for my car for only $38. Funny how the counter guys didn't know about it??? I ordered one and installed it and haven't had a problem since. Autozone or O'Reileys couldn't match NAPA's price either.
Old 02-09-2006, 11:58 PM
Inactive User

Did either of you guys get an aluminum O.E.M. style master, by any chance? Just curious. If you did, could you post a part # or manufacturer I.D.? Also, I've heard that Cardone's reman stuff is, generally, good quality. Just my 2 cents.
Old 02-10-2006, 10:12 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger1
Did either of you guys get an aluminum O.E.M. style master, by any chance? Just curious. If you did, could you post a part # or manufacturer I.D.? Also, I've heard that Cardone's reman stuff is, generally, good quality. Just my 2 cents.
Dodger the one I got wasn't a aluminum OEM type. I forget who made it but it was a major mfg. co. but it came in a NAPA marked box. Who did you hear Cardone reman stuff is good from? The parts guys at all 3 stores told me how great it is then when I got it it was junk. Took them 3 calipers to get one that didn't leak. 1st mastercylinder leaked out the back so I ordered another and before I even put it on I noticed the threads were damaged where the back line screws in so they ordered another one. It came in with damaged threads also. I gave up and was going to order a Mopar aluminum one even though I was low on cash then I found the one I mentioned above on their website and ordered it and it came in and was very nice and worked perfect.