Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 02-14-2006, 01:22 AM
Inactive User

Default 540 Crate Engine

Hi all,

Has anyone heard of or bought the new engine that is available from Dodge? I am considering buying one for my 70 challenger but am concerned about longevity for the (occasional) street use.

Thanks,
Frank
Old 02-14-2006, 04:05 AM
Inactive User

For that kind of money, I would contact a reliable independent engine builder instread of buying a MP crate.
Old 02-14-2006, 09:05 PM
Inactive User

Wink 540 motor

Mopar does not build the 540 hemi crate motor Mike Colfini in Wash state does. He is a alchol funny car racer/builder and took one of his engine designs for the race car and toned it down for the street/strip applications. Nothing but top shelf parts. Each engine is built to order no assemble line work here. I have a customer in Hungtington Beach Calif. who has one and loves the perfomance, quality, ease of install.

The car that I mentioned is a pg 14 of Mopar Muscle's Feb. issue. upper rt corner, the altered wheel car.

I wonder who the guy in the middle picture is holding up the wall???
Old 02-14-2006, 09:21 PM

It may be a great engine; however, it is way too over priced. You have the MOPAR markup and then the dealership parts counter mark up. Buy directly from the machine shope and save a few grand...
Old 02-14-2006, 11:11 PM
Inactive User

Default pricing

Ehostler,

I'm at home right now but when I get back to work in the morning I post list and cost you'll be very surprised how little the room I have to work with,
also Mopar cut it's margin to the dealers and WD's there is less then 25% from cost to list price and even worse on others. So what I have to do is sell parts usually at cost plus 10% which is only 9.12% profit.

I'm not sure if he will sell direct, but money does all the talking
Old 02-15-2006, 03:25 AM
Inactive User

That's one reason there is no sence to use a lot of MP parts in the first place.
Old 02-15-2006, 04:26 PM

Default 540

The 540 is a KB Street Hemi. You can buy the block (bore’s rough or finished up to 4.5") and heads right from KB. http://www.keithblack.com/racing_streethemi.html

Use Mopar's parts list as a build spec. (Or even modify) You get the same engine. Knowing exactly what is in it. And (I'm guessing here) saving about 3-4 Gs. Even if you farm the build out you will save $$$. I feel at least take control of the purchasing of your engine's components. You may even surprise yourself on how much assembling you can do with just a stand, hand tools and torque wrench. Most if not all the components come or can come pre-balanced. I believe this engine can go up to 4.5" bore and stroke giving you a 573 hemi.

The Buzz with KB is they're helpful and very good quality. I have heard they can be a bit on the slow side from time to time. But I figure that big of hemi shouldn't be rushed anyways. (You can't say that about a crate)

Remember KB makes one of only 2 blocks that are used in Top Fuel. A good relationship with them is not a bad thing.

Just my 2-cent
Old 02-16-2006, 04:31 AM
Inactive User

KB street hemi heads? Never heard of such. But there are a lot fo parts available from different sources, and by carefully selecting teh ones that fit your application the best, you can propably save even more.
Old 02-16-2006, 01:37 PM

Default oops

Dart is right. Heads will be from a different vendor depending on setup. KB will answer any questions
Old 02-16-2006, 02:47 PM
Inactive User

Mopar Muscle Magazine has a series of articles on the Hemi engine builds. Suggest you go to their web site for additional information. Mopar contracts the crate engine builds that they sell through the dealer network, I agree with the comments suggesting direct contact with an engine builder that you can talk with personally to satisfy your needs. Cost cutting "is not" a good approach to building an engine that will perform at a high level over a long period of time. If you desire something in the 400 HP range a cast crank with factory rods and a good set of pistons will suffice. Any thing over 500 HP exceeds the limits of the factory castings and requires fillers, after market blocks or limited use. If this is a street engine it can be screwed together with a good set of tools and farming out the machine work. If you want mega power then contact the experts who have the knowledge, equipment and industry contacts to make it work and make it last.
Old 02-17-2006, 12:08 AM
Inactive User

Thanks for all the insight on this. I have plenty of experience for the assembly work but am confused about which parts will work well with each other. part selection is about 75% of the battle when building HP in my opinion. I have no clue on this motor therefore figured a Mopar crate can't be a bad thing.

Any thoughts?

Frank
Old 02-17-2006, 03:53 AM
Inactive User

True, combination is the most important factor in engine building. I think the "one size fit all" crates are not the way to go. I believe, that in the case of these 540 Hemis, they are custom made for the purchasers need, but what I don't understand is hte mopar performance standing between the builder and the client? Can't see it doing any good there. I would still contact directly an engine builder and ask him to make an engine that suits my needs. There are several builders that are used to gasoline hemis, here is just a few that will propably deliver what you want:
http://dicklandy.com/Privacy.htm
http://www.forhemisonly.com/
http://www.bestmachineracing.com/