Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 02-24-2006, 12:22 PM

Default Intake gasket question

Got an intake that's a little off due to the block and heads being cut and had a question for you guys before I have it machined. I noticed that the gaskets I was going to use (generic - don't know who made them) are pretty thick - thicker than a Felpro I found in my garage at least. Unfortunately it's all on it's lonesome (although I'm sure I'll find the other when I don't need it) so I can't just switch them out. The port mismatch isn't much - a .020" cut on each face will probably do it, but a thinner gasket will get me the same result. I was wondering if steel intake gaskets are available for the 360? I can't find anything on the internet and all the gaskets I have found seem to spec out at .060", which is about the same as the one I have on there now. I'd like to avoid cutting this intake if I can so I can use it on another engine if I ever need to. Thanks guys.
Old 02-24-2006, 02:52 PM
Inactive User

Mopar Performance offers intake gaskets in several thicknesses. They may have what you want.

Don't know what heads you use. But for standard iron and W2 heads, mopar should be able to take care of you.

We make our intake(all our gaskets for that matter) gaskets for our aluminum engines---nobody offers gaskets off the shelf. We purchase rolls of neophrene gasket material from NAPA and cut our own. Not a big deal---but it is easier if you have gasket punches.
Old 02-24-2006, 02:57 PM
Banned

Biggrin

Dealer sells them. There's 3 to a box. One has a hole the size of a ball point pen in the heat cross over. I used to save these when I worked for the dealer and JB Weld the hole and use them on race cars to block off the heat cross over passages. If you buy the race sets from the performance book I think it includes both sets and they are Fel Pro.
Old 02-24-2006, 04:30 PM

I'll give the dealer a call. They were still closed when I posted this morning so I couldn't check with them. If they can't help I'll make some - I have a roll of the neoprene gasket material left over from when I had to make a timing cover gasket last week. The wife has a cool little hole punch (I guess all the money she's spent on scrapbooking supplies was good for something) that cuts bolt holes and water passages really accurately. It takes a while but they look like factory gaskets. Thanks guys
Old 02-24-2006, 08:38 PM

Called the local Dodge dealer and asked what he had in the way of intake gaskets for a 360. He put me on hold for eight minutes then told me they "don't carry anything like that" and I should try NAPA. I asked him if he'd checked the MP catalog and got the same reply. Maybe I had a bad connection and it sounded like I was actually asking for Kryptonite. Anybody got any part numbers I can throw at them? I think I may end up making them myself at this rate...
Old 02-24-2006, 09:53 PM
Inactive User

You really need to find a Mopar Performance supplier----other than a dealer. Surely there is someone on the west coast. We have Mancini/Muscle Motors/Hensley on the east coast. Their business is to sell parts/give service---I think most dealers don't care about service. I am sure there are exceptions to this.

A few years ago, my son went into a local dealership to inquire about Mopar aluminum blocks. The parts man was a smart ***---told him he didn't need to know about it, he couldn't afford it anyway. Jeff was POed.

A couple of months later, we were at the PRI show, met the Mopar folks and acquired two. Had them shipped to that same dealer with "pick up name and number". They came in, Jeff insisted he wanted to go in a get them. I just sort of wandered in and watched the smart *** parts man jaw drop to the floor when Jeff got them.

You know, that's the reason they don't send donkeys to college---nobody likes a smart***.
Old 02-24-2006, 11:03 PM
Inactive User

Default Mancini has a web site.......

they are very helpful and quick to send things out. I have bought via internet and in person there. They are very helpful and prices are competive too.
Old 02-24-2006, 11:21 PM

I'll call around tomorrow morning and see what I can find out. If all else fails I'll call Mancini. I've ordered stuff from them before and never had a problem. It won't hurt to have the motor sitting on the engine stand for a while. The "to do" list is pretty long before this thing is ready to go in the Duster anyway. I still haven't gotten around to pulling the wrecking yard 904 out of the trunk where it's been rattling around for a week, so it isn't like I'm stuck for things to keep me occupied.
Wish I'd seen the guys face when your kid went to pick up TWO ally blocks. Must have felt good to take the jackass down a peg or two
Old 02-25-2006, 04:31 AM
Banned

Biggrin

I'll see if I can get you a number sometime in the morning. I wont be in till after 8am and I have to meet C318cuin to sell him an A904 at 10 am.

Sanborn ... was that the Mopar dealer in the 'boro? Sure sounds like him.
Old 02-25-2006, 10:31 AM
Inactive User

dwc; Yes. the dealer was in the "Boro".

For what it's worth, I have had good luck with Hensley Performance in Knoxville.