Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 03-26-2006, 08:06 AM
Inactive User

Default the good 'ol chepo disk brake conversion

it's on a drummed c-body 69 polara.

does the F or M body disks and calippers fit on the late-style disk-spindle of a c-body?
is the spindle-diameter the same?

my try: buy a new spindle for disk-brake, and mount the disk and calipper from a le-baron I have layin around!

btw:
I know the chevy disks will fit the drum-spindles, but then I need a bracket to mount the calipper!
Old 03-26-2006, 01:02 PM
Banned

Biggrin

F,M,and J spindles wont fit your car or any car other than an F,M, or J car due to the spindle height. The disc wont fit the drum spindles either. Just find an '73 up A,B,C, or E with disc brakes and do the swap. Your Lebaron wont work.
Old 03-26-2006, 03:14 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerdodge
it's on a drummed c-body 69 polara.

does the F or M body disks and calippers fit on the late-style disk-spindle of a c-body?
is the spindle-diameter the same?

my try: buy a new spindle for disk-brake, and mount the disk and calipper from a le-baron I have layin around!

btw:
I know the chevy disks will fit the drum-spindles, but then I need a bracket to mount the calipper!
The chevy calipers work with some ebay adapter.

DWC is right that the fjm stuff won't work, but niether will the a body stuff he is recommending.

Your car is a C body. C body is the only stuff that will fit. The C body spindle is completely different from the others.

You have the worst car for a "cheap" swap. It will only be cheap if you can fuind som C body stuff that is cheap. I'm not a C body guy, but I was told when doing my own that the earlier stuff is different than the newer, more common stuff.(like from a 76 newyorker etc)

I saw this topic on another board last week. Here was the agreed upon answer:

C spindles are nearly 2" taller than any other car chassis, so that's all that will work on a C. The 73 model year disk setup is the preferred one to go for, as it lets you use the dirt cheap unicast rotor, and the ball joints are the same as the drum brake parts from 65-73. In 74 the spindles & ball joints changed, so they're a no-go, although I think calipers and rotors continued to be the cheap stuff.

Hope this helps
Old 03-26-2006, 03:19 PM
Inactive User

PS...

You'll need 15" wheels with this swap(or Bigger)

14" wheels will interfere with the caliper.
I have the parts to do the swap on my 68 newport, but haven't done it because the 14" tires on the car are still like new.
Old 03-26-2006, 04:53 PM
Inactive User

Default ain't no good

Yeah! was thinking of the SCAREBIRD-setup! (ebay-kit) and with CHEVY calipers, and FURY disks, it sort of starting to work! abaout $400, not chepo, but the cheapest way I suppose! thanx for the inputs! I'm sure alot of you have gone throug this alot of times who does and don't fit! as for the record, I DID search the forum first, but could not be 100% sure, so I postet a new thread lol
Old 03-26-2006, 04:59 PM
Inactive User

here's my beast!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg little.jpg (98.3 KB, 70 views)
Old 03-26-2006, 10:02 PM
Inactive User

How did you get a car like that in norway?

Were there many of them around?
Old 03-27-2006, 12:24 PM
Inactive User

original 69 import 318-car. ordered and lived it's first years in OSLO, have had alot of owners, I bought it for ~$2000 spring 2005 in good shape with a 360 w/x-heads,727. not many of 'em... 69 is the coolest I believe. too bad it's so few customs!
Old 03-27-2006, 12:28 PM
Inactive User

I will go for the scarebird setup! (www.scarebird.com) and fury rotors + chevy calipers! abaut $300.
Old 03-28-2006, 02:28 AM
Inactive User

I had brakes in miserable condition in our '67 VIP, and had to consider this thing too. My car had original disc brakes, and the parts to rebuild them do not seem to exists, and if you can get them they are pretty expensive. Would have needed drum brake spindles for the scarebird convercion, and those do not grow in the trees here. I bet it isn't any easier in Norway either. After studying this subject a little, I found out, that brake set ups as a whole are interchangeable between '65 - '73 C-bodies. The most desirable is the '73, parts are readily available since they use the same rotors as some pick ups. So, I put a "wanted" add in to a couple of web forums, and found a set from a salvage yard in Montana. Had to pay 100$ for the brakes, and he sent them to Finland in two post packages, overall the parts cost about 300$ here with the freight and taxes. And the parts were in excellent condition, like new. All they needed was cleaning and new pads, & bolting them on. I was very happy with them. There is a couple of pics of them in our VIP project page: http://kuvablogi.com/blog/745/1/
Old 04-09-2007, 04:36 PM
Inactive User

Good to hear it worked out.
Old 04-09-2007, 09:08 PM
Inactive User

what year fury rotors and what type of chevy calipers are used i have a 68 polara and plan on doing this upgrade in a month or two once the car is finished with paint and the exhaust. which would be the same time i put on some bigger wheels figred now would be the best time to ask since there is already a thread