Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 03-28-2006, 02:00 AM
Inactive User

Default W9 combos....

Hi yall been away and lurkinh for a while but nave the itch to build a mondo cube W9 headed stroker.

So Im wondering, anyone here running W9's with a 59 deg combo? If so, Id love to know what your combos are and what kinda numbers you are running?

By combo I mean cubic inches, pistons, rods, compression, cam spex, carb & intake, pipes/exhaust, etc.

Also what kinda vehicle its in and trans/gearing spex and what ET/mph/HP/TQ you have been running?

Any info would be EVRy much appreciated !

Thanx
Old 03-28-2006, 08:38 PM
Inactive User

Anyone ??: eyesbig:
Old 03-29-2006, 09:24 AM
Inactive User

Default combos

We are just finishing up a w2 headed 340,, it is a small block modified motor
which is a 2400 lb dirt track race car.The head combo is a set of pro race heads that are 48 degree with 47 cc compression chambers and the block is a 1969 340 that is 59 degree lifter bores.We have had a lot of help from different people on this board who are familiar with this process. With there
help and modifications we are shooting for 500hp which they say is possible.
I think the w2 heads and the w9 heads are very similar except for aluminum
vs cast.The best help you can get if you have questions is Ryan from shaddydell speed shop and sanborn and a couple of others on here, they are great people and live to see MOPARS kick butt, hope this helps, have fun!
DH
Old 03-29-2006, 10:23 AM
Moparchat Bronze member

The W-9 for the standard block just came out. I have not heard anybody getting one. The'll make crazy power. This isn't a race section. But...no reason you couldn't use one on the street. Give it some time or be the first and document it all for us.

I'd love to get a set, but, theres that damn house payment, oh, yea, those pesky kids as well ...LOL!
Old 03-29-2006, 09:23 PM
Inactive User

Whoahhh.. W9 for the standard production engine blocks? Rumblefish where did you hear about that ? Could you please elaborate on that, thats news I would like to hear.
Old 03-29-2006, 09:36 PM
Inactive User

Wll the plan is for me to bolt em onto a 59 deg block and yeah it can be done.
The W9's potential to make killer power is well known within the sprint car set and I for one want to got this way with my stroker.

From what ive been able to find out this is how its done.

Process involves setting up the valvetrain for pushrod oiling with T&D .550" offset rockers and running 5/16" .080" wall hollow ball/ball pushrods with AMC solid lifters.

The 5/16" pushrod will just clear the intake wall topside, a minor relief on the outside of the intake runner with a die grinder is required. 3/8" pushrod WONT clear the intake runner. The AMC solid lifter will allow pushrod to rocker oiling.

Just need to confirm if tubing the block (one or both galleries?) is required with the SOLID cam ?? i alsways thought with a sloid only one gallery needs tubing.

Of course this assumes youre running a solid cam With a roller youll need to tube BOTH oil galleries otherwise you lose oil pressure with the roller lifters. Crane offers a SBC offset roller lifter with an that will fit a 59 deg block and ill prob look into that down the track. But for now a solid is on the cards.

Can anyone confirm any of the above ?
Old 03-30-2006, 10:48 AM
Moparchat Bronze member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71dart666
Whoahhh.. W9 for the standard production engine blocks? Rumblefish where did you hear about that ? Could you please elaborate on that, thats news I would like to hear.
Sure, '05 MoPar Performance catolog, page 81, second head down pictured, first description goes like this;

B. W9 Aluminum Cylinder Heads

These W9 heads feature high-stregth, lightwieght A356 Aluminum
alloy casting. There thick deck permits small chambers for maximum
compression ratios. Heads feature 6 bolt attachment design for sealing integrity and raised intake and exhaust ports for maximum performance. Heads have 15* valve angle with additinal material to permit rolling the head (Except head P5007861 which is 13*). These heads are the same length as the block to permiy ease of installation with engine plates.

*P4510324___ NEW! W9 Aluminum Cylinder Head
(59* small blocks)

Flip the page over for basic stats on various heads, the W9 has these specs for the 59* block;

62cc chamber size, 59* tappet angle, 15* valve angle, 2.15/1.60 valve sizes, 3/8 valve stem, 200cc intake port volume, 290 cfm intake flow @ .600", Int. port shape Rect, W8/9, Ex. port shape Std. ,Std 5 bolt valve cover, approx weight, 22 LBS.

I only see 1 intake manifold for it, P4876162 single plane for the 9.56 deck height block. (Also one for the 9.0 block.) RPM range of 3600 - 8500.

Head stud kits are in the book and list 3 different set.

No other info is given on them. That leaves me to assume that it will use standard W9 head equipment.

I went online to sevral places. (If I can only remember where I saw the cheapest price now...) The W9 heads were priced $20 more than the LP comando heads.
My MoPar dealer will sell me the LP comando heads for $660 a pop.

Beautyful thing huh?!?
Old 03-31-2006, 02:29 AM
Inactive User

Had a long post on this last night. Unfortunately, apparently it took so long to write, my timer ran out(darn).

So let me try again. If you use a flat tappet camshaft, you do not have to tube the oil galley on either side. But, you get much better oil control if you do tube/sleeve the lifter bores. It is necessary to tube/sleeve with a roller lifter.

The WOO sprint car heads are Chapman CNC versions that flow about 380CFM@.700" lift. That is a major improvement over the 290CFM the W9s flow "out of the box". But, using the lower flowing heads is not a bad idea because I would have real concerns of a standard block handling the HP/torque of the higher flowing WOO type heads.

If at all possible I would try to acquire an "R" block with 48 degree lifter bores. The blocks have better cylinder walls, are more rigid, have 18 head bolts and the 48 degree bores help to reduce the push rod problems. Plus, you would not need to sleeve/tube lifter bores if you do use a roller.
Old 03-31-2006, 02:42 AM
Inactive User

If you choose the ported W9s, they love lots of valve lift. Anything under .700" net valve lift is doing the heads a disservice. That type of net valve lift
almost means a roller cam.

And with that type of valve lift, the engines love to turn a lot of RPM. We regularly run our 408"(4.160"X3.80") at 8500-8600RPM on the oval tracks. And our friendly competitors run their 430s at about the same RPM. That type of RPM is almost impossible for a stock block(reliability) and the pushrod angularity of a stock block/flat tappet means real problems with valve train stability at that kind of RPM. We have been there before and learned our lessons.
Old 03-31-2006, 02:57 AM
Inactive User

Some additional thoughts on the W9 heads.

They are very lightweight heads, not much aluminum there. They were basically designed for sprint car use. But, they have fairly large combustion chambers(around 55CC) which means that high compressions will require dome pistons. And they don't hold as much coolant as the W7 or W8 heads.

I personally prefer the W8 heads over the W9s. They are heavier(about 6 lbs./head) but have smaller chambers(we use 40CC) and the heads hold more coolant(about one pint per head). And I think our W8s(with flat top pistons) work better than the W9s (dome pistons) at high RPM. It's your decision, just my opinion. The W8s were designed for Nascar competiton.
Old 04-01-2006, 02:43 AM
Inactive User

Thanx for the info Sanborn. I sent you a PM did you get it ?

Rat