Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 01-23-2000, 07:05 AM
Inactive User

i have a 73 charger 440 mag brand new eldebroke 750 carb stock intake 906heads a brand new holley electric fuel pump brand new chrome box vacume advance plugs wires cap and rotor heres the problem it will run great when i jump on her for a litlle while then she will start boggin liks shes starvin for fuel ill let her idle for a min an itll jump of the ground and run good for a few miles it dose it at mid throtle to not just when i rag it wont hapen as quick at mid throtle but she bogs all the same please help i got over 2000$ tied up in here and im still drivin my bros ford to work i realy hate fords any info is realy apreciated i was told the eldebroke carb needs eldebroke part # 1466 {high flow neddle and seats} so i ordered me a set should be here in 3 weeks if any mopar head out there knows what my problem is please help thanx pyro

drop a gear and dissapear
Old 01-23-2000, 07:23 AM
Inactive User

pyro,first where is your pump mounted? it must be as low as the bottom of the tank no higher,inside the rear pass. side frame rail just in front of the diff works well,now lets decide if its running out of gas and or flooding over,as both will make the motor miss and die,if you can turn off the elec pump when it acts up,if it straightens right up and then dies shortly afterward it was flooding over,if it dies instantly and wont restart your out of fuel.If you were out of fuel check the filter(I'm sure you already did)the next most likely suspect is the gas tank p/u tube "sock"(or low float level),this is the metal screen that protects the p/u tube from picking up debris out of the tank.it may be so clogged that it is the restriction,youll have to drop the tank to replace it.If its flooding over you may have too much fuel pressure and need a regulator,check it w/a gauge,4-6 is safe.Also you may be too lean,pull a spark plug if it looks incredibly white your too lean,when your jetting is close youll be able to open a vaccum source at the front of the carb(suction present at idle) and your rpm will barely change,if it goes up drastically your too rich,if it starts too idle roughly your too lean.One last note an ign problem can act just the same,several things come to mind,bad ballast resistor,bad p/u coil(fails when hot)Hope this helps you drop a gear and dissappear!!1...PRO...
Old 01-23-2000, 07:46 AM
Inactive User

ok thats some good options u gave me pro heres what i got my holley pump is mounted on the fender well only because i couldnt find a spot on the frame big enuff to mount it {those things are hudge} i got the stock fuel pump feddin it cause i knew it wouldnt pick up fuel that far away i have a clear fuel filter which stays 3/4 full all the time i like runnin without a hood {theres alota pretty chrome there people need to see}i do not have a regulator cause the pump only puts out 6.5 psi max. i think shes runnin outa fuel cause when she bogs down i let off and cruize it seems like the carb fills back upshe wont die unles i stay open on the throtle thanx agin pyro
Old 01-23-2000, 08:22 PM
ted

that setup isnt any advantage over the stock pump.
Old 01-23-2000, 11:04 PM
Inactive User

I usually mount my pump up on the upper shock mount and have never had a problem.If you are using the Holley "red" pump,you need to put in a M-P hi volume mechanical pump also.The stock pump being fed by the Holley electric pump isn't doing you much in terms of fuel volume.
Old 01-23-2000, 11:31 PM
Inactive User

Pyro, you said you got your stock fuel pump feeding the electric pump. Do you mean that the line from the tank goes first to the stock pump and then to the electric? Because if that's the case, then there is your problem: the only thing your electric fuel pump is doing is sucking your stock fuel pump dry. It can't possibly pull any extra fuel from the tank with the stock pump in the way.

If the fuel goes from the tank first to the electric pump and then through the stock pump then I still agree with the other comments. You aren't getting any benefit from the electric pump doing this.

Finally, Edelbrock carbs are more sensitive to fuel pressure than Holleys. You might need a regulator even with a high output mechanical pump.
Old 01-24-2000, 05:21 AM

We run an electric pump into a Carter high volume mehcnical pump on the Duster digger. It goes to a fuel pressure regulator, then to the carb. Electric pumps are for pushing fuel; mechanical pumps are for drawing fuel with vacuum. You should therefore mount your electric pump as close to the fuel as possible and at a lower level if possible.

We use the mechanical pump for driving around the pits and loading, adding the electric pump only during races. The mechanical pump will feed the car up to drive and then die!
Old 01-24-2000, 06:25 AM
Inactive User

so you people are tellin me that the reason im starvin is cause i got the mechanical pump feedin the electric? what if i get a high flow mechanical pump? i cant seem to find anywhere to mount the holley under the car

Old 01-24-2000, 06:37 AM

The Carter street/strip pump is what we used. It will make it to drive on the drag strip in an 11.75 second small block pulling fuel through the Holley electric pump. It should be enough for a moderate street engine. You can use a big block chevy 6 valve pump if you modify the pump arm. I know a guy that did it for a circle track alchohol setup. If I remember right they just swapped a mopar arm for the chevy arm or something like that.
Old 01-24-2000, 08:52 AM
Inactive User

Ok, Pyro, here's the deal. I've got a 72 Charger and a Holley 14 PSI pump, so you should be able to do the same as me. I mounted my pump under the passenger side rocker panel, right behind the door. I bolted it to the outside of the frame rail right before the front leaf spring mount. The fuel lines run right by on the other side of the frame rail and it is simple to cut the line and run hoses to the pump on the other side. I run this without ANY mechanical pump and it feeds a 750 CFM Holley Double-Pumper with more than enough flow. Just take out your stock mechanical pump and buy a block off plate for the hole. This set up runs my 360 Magnum crate engine with 0 problems. Some people use to use an electric pump to help the stock pump, but to me, this defeats the purpose of having an electrical pump. The Holley is more than enough to supply fuel to your single carb engine, and having the stock pump still saps just as much horsepower from the engine as not having the electric pump at all does. Trust me, this is the way to go, and it works great on my Charger. Plus mounting it right on the outside of the frame kinda cuts down on the interior noise those noisey little Holleys make! Good luck!

------------------
~Elwenil~ ~.\|/.~
Elwenil.cjb.net
DodgeChargerSE@aol.com
72 Charger SE
Old 01-25-2000, 02:41 AM
ted

all you need is the carter street/strip pump, i use it on the 440 in my 70 challenger r/t.
this a modified 450hp motor, it pumps enuff
fuel.
Old 01-25-2000, 05:04 AM

I didn't intend to mean that you had to run both of the pumps. I just wanted to pass on what worked for us and why we did it that way. One reason for the setup that I did not touch on is the noise of the electric fuel pump. I hate it! We run mufflers on the Duster and I can't stand the growling of the stupid electric pump while cruising the pits warming the trans, running to the staging lanes, and returning from the pass. As stated either of these two pumps will work sufficiently well without the other.
Old 01-25-2000, 07:00 AM
Inactive User

Hey, I caught your meaning 340. I just meant that for all the expense of the Holley pump, I would toss the stock one. You are right for sure about the noise. Our first Holley pump was in out 70 Duster. For som reason my buddy put it on the bottom of the trunk floor where it curves up over the axle. Damn thing sounded like a jackhammer in the back seat. Then if it started to lose prime (because it was mounted to high) it would sound like a lawn mower in gravel. I drive my Charger daily and I though I was going to have to wrap it with something until I found the previously mentioned mounting spot. It's only loud on the passengers that way!

------------------
~Elwenil~ ~.\|/.~
Elwenil.cjb.net
DodgeChargerSE@aol.com
72 Charger SE
Old 01-25-2000, 08:22 AM
Inactive User

thanx yall ill be sure to find me a spot now realy apreciate the info pyro
remember drop a gear and dissapear