Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 04-03-2006, 03:06 AM
Inactive User

Default Will this combo work? For Sure?

There seems to be so much advise out there regarding maximum wheel and tire sizes for a 69 GTX that I think I'm going crazy. On the back, with no mods., I want to install some Cragar SS 10" rims with a backspacing of 4.25" along with some Hoosier drag radials sized P275/60R15. The Hoosiers dont appear to buldge out as much as some of the other drag radials. The tire diameter is 28". Will this work? I've seen this same tire size listed listed with an 8" rim that a lot of people are running with apparantly no problems (at least that's what they are saying). I've read other posts saying that same combo rubs. What's up with this? I thought a B body was a B body whether it's a satellite, R.R. or GTX. I've taken off my rear wheels, measured the available backspacing (currently 3.75" on some Magnums that are on there now) and have at least another 1-1/2" to go before hitting any obstructions. That should indicate that a 4.25" backspaced Cragar should fit OK. If I measure out 5.75" inches out from the mounting hub towards the fender it also looks clear. Therefore, It looks like a 10" rim with a 4.25" backspace will work. I realize some tires bulge out the sides more than others so this would cause some to rub while others may not. HELP! I need this figured out quick as I'm getting the car ready for Hot August Nights in Reno. Summit racing will supply, mount and balance and ship ready to be installed cheaper that anyone else that I could find locally. Only problem is that once the tires are mounted on the rims there are NO RETURNS. If I have to go to an 8" rim, I will. I'd prefer a 10" if it will absolutely work. Thanks .
Old 04-03-2006, 03:32 AM
Inactive User

The best source for this information is the local tire shop.
Old 04-03-2006, 10:46 PM
Inactive User

Default If the shoe fits, wear it.

Thanks George for the ONLY input. Apparently that's the way to go. I guess that if the tire dude tells me 10's with 275/15's are ok and then it rubs, it's on him. Now only thing is to find a tire shop that knows what the **** they are talking about. Seems like all the big shops out here don't know the difference between a Plymouth and a Pontiac. One guy looked over at his partner and said YEA! That would be the same size as a Goat, right? I should have known it was time to leave when the first guy told me Cragars were no longer available but if I got the rims, they would do the tires. What size was I looking for? 17's or 18's? OK, I'll have to look around some more. Does anyone out there in the Fremont area know of a tire shop that knows what's up? Thanks.
Old 04-04-2006, 03:14 AM
Inactive User

A "GOOD" high performance wheel and tire shop will have a tool that will simulate any size tire and wheel backspace to see if it fits. One thing, our old chrysler products all had production tolerances that weren't that great. What fits on 1 69 GTX might not fit on another. Ya gotta check everything. Look for a shop that sells slicks and dot tires along with wheels like Weld, Centerline, etc. They'll be able to help you. Ask around you'll find one.

don
Old 04-04-2006, 08:38 PM
Inactive User

Default That's good information........

I remember the MP Chassis book said that it can be a hit or miss propisition. Because of manufacturing tolerances (in the auto factory) a tire and wheel combo that fits one GTX might not fit another GTX or other body if your dealing with close fit.

But I've been looking for my old Chassis Book for 4 months now. Wish I could find it.
Old 04-04-2006, 08:58 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarrbabe
I remember the MP Chassis book said that it can be a hit or miss propisition. Because of manufacturing tolerances (in the auto factory) a tire and wheel combo that fits one GTX might not fit another GTX or other body if your dealing with close fit.

But I've been looking for my old Chassis Book for 4 months now. Wish I could find it.

You too huh? Must be a conspiracy, mines been missing all winter. I had the one with the red cover, before the "rainbow" stripes...

Jay