Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 04-03-2006, 06:11 PM
Inactive User

Default Differential additive

Hey Guys, How long does it take for the slip lock additive to take effect and by this I mean coating the clutch plates in the rear end to stop the chatter. I had to replace my differential gasket and refilled with gear oil and slip lock additive and when I first started driving the car and when making a turn the whole car would vibrate real bad but then when going straight it did not. I was told to do a bunch of figure 8's so that the lube would coat the clutches. I did about a dozen and it smoothed right out but then the vibration came back within a mile.I was told that driving the car normally would coat the clutches but they said it could take some time. I was wondering how much time Just would like your guys opinon on this.
Thanks Leige
Old 04-04-2006, 12:09 AM
Inactive User

It should have worked by now.

If it's still doing it, I'd say ad another additive.
Old 04-04-2006, 05:27 AM
Inactive User

Confused

Question Dave, How much is too much or how little is not enough? I put a 7oz bottle of Trans-X limited slip differential additive in and the capacity of my rear end is 2.5 quarts. Would another 4 oz of a different kind make a diff? And if that doesn't work what do you think the problem could be? I had a friend move the car a little with the wheel turned hard to the right and you could actually see the rear wheel jumpin a little.
Old 04-14-2006, 07:23 PM
Inactive User

I just did mine, used the complete 7oz. bottle on a 2 qt. fill. No problems at all.
Old 04-15-2006, 01:32 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leige
Question Dave, How much is too much or how little is not enough? I put a 7oz bottle of Trans-X limited slip differential additive in and the capacity of my rear end is 2.5 quarts. Would another 4 oz of a different kind make a diff? And if that doesn't work what do you think the problem could be? I had a friend move the car a little with the wheel turned hard to the right and you could actually see the rear wheel jumpin a little.
I don't think you can go too much additive. It is a friction modifier. It doesn't hurt the lubricating qualities of the oil.

I work at a fird shop these days, and when we overhaul one, we soak the clutches and ad a bottle to the diff oil also.

I wouldn't be afraid to ad another and see how it goes. If that doesn't help, there must be a problem in there.
Old 04-17-2006, 08:28 AM
Inactive User

Ok Dave I added 4 oz more of a different type of slip lock and that did work once the gear oil got warm. Had no chatter at all then the next day when the gear oil was cold the chatter returned but not as bad but still very irritating so I decided to drain out the gear lube which is Pennzoil Synthetic 75-90 and go with Amsoil gear lube and a 4 oz bottle of Amsoil friction modifier. Had to order the gear lube and will be here this week. Hopefully this will cure my problems.. Once again Dave thanks for the feedback.