Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 04-06-2006, 09:49 PM
Inactive User

Default Another 727 question.........

Finally got the kick-down adjusted so the trans shifts good into 3rd gear but still not happy with results.

Shifts from 1st to 2nd at 15 mph at light throttle
Shifts from 1st to 2nd at 25 mph at full throttle.
This is short of what the engine needs.
Manual shifting shows the engine pulls strong well past 35 mph. But trans must be held in 1st gear manualy to get into needed shift range.
Also trans will not down shift back to 1st until truck is below 5 mph. At 5 mph it will stay in second gear even at full throttle. Due to the 2300 stall and rear gear it don’t bog greatly but still it isn’t right.

Second gear seems to work as designed except it is now adjusted to where it shifting into 3rd a just a little early but that is better than holding too long.

I have replaced the valve body but still have the early shifts

Any ideas?

Is there enough room to fit a overdrive trans in the 80 truck in the trans tunnel are
Old 04-07-2006, 05:10 PM

Sounds like you still don't have the linkage right.

Is the linkage all original and correct for the car/year/engine combo? What carb?
Old 04-08-2006, 11:13 AM
Inactive User

check for sticking governor weights, cracked governor rings, low line pressure, or pinched fluid line. have heard and seen this many times in the past. crank up the kd pressure and it bangs, back it off a touch and it short shifts. signatures of a tired tranny.
Old 04-08-2006, 11:38 AM
Inactive User

Ever since I bought a kickdown cable kit from Mancini, I will NEVER use stock linkage again. The cable is where it's at!
Sam
Old 04-11-2006, 05:44 PM
Inactive User

Angry Linkage is right I think.......

Kickdown from 3rd to 2nd works perfectly. Shifts into 3rd just perfect now. Still same problem with early shift from 1 to 2 and no downshift till stopped. I'm looking for a trans book I have to read more about the governor set-up. This trans don't slip or make any noise. Clean inside and out with fluid clean with no smell.
This is the first trans I’ve had that has the fluid drain back out of the converter. I remember others stating that it happen to them but never in one of mine before. About 5 seconds and everything is normal. But I have heard that some have this problem with a fresh trans.

Motor/trans/steering column and linkages from donor truck 1976 model.
Old 04-11-2006, 06:15 PM
Inactive User

The thing is, it's not a kickdown linkage. It's a throttle pressure linkage. It's a refrence for engine load. It has to be set correctly in all positions ( closed throttle to WOT).
Old 04-11-2006, 06:35 PM
Banned

yup thats what i say its in the kickdown linkage.
Old 04-12-2006, 12:10 AM
Inactive User

kickdown linkage operates throttle valve, if tv adjustment on valve body is backed off it will cause the problem, or line pressure too low.
does the valve body have a 2-3 shuttle valve, or is there a cap on it? if it has the valve IT may be stuck, not allowing "kickdown"
if you have set the linkage so the carb is at wot, and the throttle valve lever is all the way back, it should not short shift, and it should have a pretty good passing gear kickdown. if not check the adjustments on the valve body, the condition and adjustment of the bands, then look for a stuck governor weight.
a bad front pump bushing will cause the convertor to "drain back" and also low operating pressure. the torque flight operates on positive line pressure, and any loss there off will give shifting problems.
try the WOT on carb and trans, then go from there.
Old 04-12-2006, 03:34 AM
Inactive User

Default Kickdown linkage is no different than a cable.......

except that it is not quite as exact. BUT the linkage works the same every time. The fact that I have good behavior in 2nd and 3rd tells me I have the pressure right. After all, it is pressure that adjust the shift levels at different speeds. The fact that it shifts into 3rd and downshifts to 2nd like it should tells me that that part is right. With a higher pressure it still shifts into 2nd too quick and much too late or not at all into 3rd. The 1-2 shift seems to be controled by something other than the pressure. More mechanical. The valve body I took out had a valve missing (truck transmission ). The plate on top of the valve body that has 6 screws in it only has places for 4. Two holes are not there.Not sure what that means but the trans still acts the same with both valve bodies except it don't shift so violently. This makes me think something other than the valve body is causing the early shift from 1 to 2.
Old 04-12-2006, 02:27 PM
Inactive User

Hi can you help me i have a 727 transmission and when you select
D it goes straight into 3rd to select 2nd or 1st you have to use the
shifter. Is there a problem with my transmission or could there be
a manual valve body fitted to it.
Old 04-12-2006, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarrbabe
The valve body I took out had a valve missing (truck transmission ). The plate on top of the valve body that has 6 screws in it only has places for 4. Two holes are not there.
I'm puzzled by the above statement. Could you be more clear?
What valve was missing? Where are the two holes missing, in the plate of the valve body casting?