Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 04-06-2006, 11:46 PM

Default electric water pump in street car

what good is an electric water pump in a street car? it's durable, works well?
what you think about moroso drive kit?
Old 04-07-2006, 02:56 AM
Inactive User

The moroso pump can be used at the dragstrip, it rotates the water and the engine has no time to heat up in such a short period under power. For street use, no. I run several years with that moroso drive kit, just changed the wp pulley and the belt at teh strip. It only took a couple of minutes. Later I have used some others, the moroso pump that fits the stock housing, Meziere pump and Craig Davies external pump. According to my experience, hhe moroso pump is least effective of those, it can be driven in the street, but if you run it hard you'll have ehat problems. Meziere and the Craig Davies seem to work fine, although the meziere had been run pretty little and only in the city. The Craig Davies water pump/controller kit has worked excellent so far, itäs a variable speed pump that rotates water as needed. I have run about 5000 miles with it, and have never overheated
Old 04-07-2006, 10:02 AM
Inactive User

Default DartGT66

"Craig Davies water pump/controller kit" do they have a web site and do you know if it is available for a small block setup? (Quit the league of nations on this one).
Old 04-07-2006, 10:35 AM
Banned

Biggrin

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmax2
what good is an electric water pump in a street car? it's durable, works well?
what you think about moroso drive kit?

Electric pumps takes all the drag off the engine freeing up some HP. Electric pumps work great on the street. I have a remote one ona big block car. The Moroso pump drive is worthless.
Old 04-10-2006, 02:37 AM
Inactive User

List of nations continue, this time Australia:

http://www.daviescraig.com.au/main/display.asp?pid=8

I ordered mine fron england, the pump & controller was under 200$ at my door. In the first place, I just removed the original pump from the housing and blocked the opening with an aluminum plate (big block), but this time I'll build a water manifold for it to gain even some more room.
Old 04-10-2006, 11:49 AM
Inactive User

Question Hey DartGT66!

Do you know what these pumps are rated for? I love the design but would like to know more. What does it vary the speed based on?
Thanks in advance!
Sam
Old 04-11-2006, 01:21 AM

Reading up on those Davies pumps never mentions flow rates. That seems odd, but it sure reads like it works well as someone here has one that works fine. The control box varies the voltage to the pump based on temperature from the sensor, like a speed control on an R/C car. It just looks too small to turn the GPM.s that a mechanical one does (318 Magnum pumps 100 GPM at 5000 RPM!) But it also doesnt run a thermostat either so its pumping at a lower PSI/restriction. the turn off for me was that a non biased web site tried to flow rate the Davies unit and had to keep the results non published due to a legal challenge from Davies, that sounds kinda BS to me. I like the idea of chucking a large pancake fan motor from a electric radiator fan to the snout of a water pump and letting her rip.
Old 04-11-2006, 03:35 AM
Inactive User

First of all, about flow rates; I have really learnt not to look at tehm very much. If someone advertises flow rates, how have they been measured? If different vendors use different methods, they are not comparable and doesn't tell a whole lot. This is especially true with fuel pumps, tehy advertise free flow rates. Add restrictions and pressure, and the results may be dramatically different, and so may the "order" of the different pumps. I remeber seeing some flow rates for the EWP pump, and they were way less than what the "best" US pumps advertise. When I first got the pump, I had a lot fo doubpts. Could this small plastic pump really handle the cooling? When I installed it, I actually atached a volt meter to the pump wires to see wether it works at all, and how hard it works. In regular traffic in summer time it was usually between 6 and 8 volts, but you have to keep in mind that our weather is never really hot. I have heard that they use these pumps in Austarlia, in some road race 5.0 fords, but I really wouldn't bet my money on their capability of keeping the temp down in a big engine during long hard driving. We have currently three craig davies pumps in the country, that I know of, one is in a 400 based 14/71 blown stroker duster, one is in my car and one in a rallye Toyota. The Toyota guy propably uses the car the hardest and he installed it last autumn. He had to install another pump to circulate water through the heater, because the EWP pump wasn't needed so much that it would have kept the heater core warm, but we'll see how it works during hte summer. I have been very satisfied with the purchase so far.
Old 04-11-2006, 10:37 AM
Inactive User

Biggrin I'm blind.

Actually, looking a little closer, I see that it is rated at 300 to 1300 gallons per hour, at 13.5 volts. That equals 5 to 21 gallons per minute. That seems kind of low but, like DartGT66 said above, it all depends on who rates it.
Also, the only place in the U.S. that sells them, wants $260 for the pump kit & $150 for the controller. That seems a little pricy.
Are you able to rebuild them? How much would an overhaul cost?
Sam
Old 04-11-2006, 04:54 PM
Inactive User

if your waterpump flows too fast it will not cool down your car effectively. I see that often when people remove their thermo stat without putting a restrictor in its place.
Old 04-12-2006, 07:59 AM
Inactive User

Just a 'heads up' on the Davies Craig.

There is a really good Austrailan website called 'AutoSpeed' run by a straight shooter named Julian Edgar.

One month he listed that a dyno test of the Davies Craig electric water pump would be in the next month's features.

When that month came up Julian Edgar announced that the testing had been done but that Davies Craig was threatening to sue him if he published the results. Not a good sign.

Julian Edgar has a really good book called '21st Century Performance'

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...595045-9777504
Old 04-12-2006, 04:15 PM
Inactive User

I have the Meziere electric pump on my 70 road runner with a 426 wedge. The is destined for the street with occasional track use. I researched the electric pumps that I knew of (Moroso, Meziere, and CSI) and liked the technical support and assistance that I got from Mezeire the most. I'd never heard of the Davies pump. I live in New Orleans and it gets ungodly hot during the summer months (which is most of the year). I run a Summit 1 inch 2 core aluminum radiator and a 2 speed 16 inch electric fan. I don't have air conditioning yet. I am very pleased with my Mezeire pump, and I like the fact that it is easily rebuildable. I plan on installing air conditioning as soon as finances allow. Then we'll see if the Mezeire can handle it. I also run Purple Ice in my radiator. The gauge has never gone over 190.
Old 04-12-2006, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankL
Just a 'heads up' on the Davies Craig.

There is a really good Austrailan website called 'AutoSpeed' run by a straight shooter named Julian Edgar.

One month he listed that a dyno test of the Davies Craig electric water pump would be in the next month's features.

When that month came up Julian Edgar announced that the testing had been done but that Davies Craig was threatening to sue him if he published the results. Not a good sign.
Hey, isnt that what I just said?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pishta
the turn off for me was that a non biased web site tried to flow rate the Davies unit and had to keep the results non published due to a legal challenge from Davies