Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 04-09-2006, 10:53 PM
Inactive User

Question Source of Blue Oil Smoke??

The other day I was driving the 72 Cuda (360/904 with 3.55 suregrip) down the highway. At about 60 mph I decided to drop it into 2 gear and romp on it. After about 10 seconds I noticed SIGNIFICANT blue oil smoke from the rear view mirror. I got out of the carb but kept driving; thinking... OH SH** I must have broke a piston ring. But since then, I have not again seen any blue oil smoke. But I have NOT done the serious long period of full romp.

My theory is that I pumped lots of oil into the valve cover and the oil reached a level where it could get to the valve stems and thus into the cylinders.

Is this a reasonable theory? Is this a common probblem and is there an easy way to help the oil drain back down to the pan so as to NOT build up a high level in the heads??

If the defenses case does NOT hold water; what is a better theory? (note the obscure to "My Cousin Vinny", a FANTASTIC movie!!)

Thanks, Tim Eckert
Old 04-09-2006, 11:06 PM
Banned

Biggrin

Knowing these engines like I do, I'd guess you have a set of dried out exhuast valve stem seals and need new ones. Drain back of oil is not a problem unloess you have one that is stopped up with sludge due to dirt, high milage, and you not changing the oil every 3000 miles.
Old 04-09-2006, 11:21 PM
Inactive User

Default valve stem seals

Hey DWC,

not enough miles to have sludge. But please give me a lesson on valve stem seals... For instance, why do you say the exhaust seals?? I would have guessed it be the intakes trying to suck in the oil; and that the exhaust stems are pushing gas into the valve covers.

I am sure you are right, but pls give me the basis so I understand the theory.

Thanks, Tim
Old 04-09-2006, 11:27 PM
Inactive User

I'll go along with valve seals.

I'm thinking it was more on the intake side. Building up some oil in the intake at lower load/higher vac, then when you pounded it, it all went through.

I also agree that it isn't a big deal.

Warm it up, and take it out for a good bag, and see how it goes.

If it stays bad, pull the plugs, and look at them for deposits. You might be able to see if one hole is worse than the others.
Old 04-09-2006, 11:34 PM
Banned

Biggrin

Quote:
Originally Posted by eckertt@epri.co
Hey DWC,

not enough miles to have sludge. But please give me a lesson on valve stem seals... For instance, why do you say the exhaust seals?? I would have guessed it be the intakes trying to suck in the oil; and that the exhaust stems are pushing gas into the valve covers.

I am sure you are right, but pls give me the basis so I understand the theory.

Thanks, Tim
The reason I said exhuast valve stems is due to heat. There always the first to fail and oil can get past them into your hot exhuast and smoke it up. IT can also get through the intake side too. Does not really matter, cause when you buy them you get both sets and should replace them all.
Old 04-10-2006, 12:18 AM
Inactive User

Default Replacing valve stem seals

Thanks guys for the input. OK, so I will replace the seals...

Which parts to buy? Where to buy good parts? Something make me think the seal for the EX is different from the one for intake?

Also, I plan to just do the old trick of pushing 100 psi compressed air into the spark plug hole to keep the valves closed and change the seals while the heads are on the block. Any special tricks I need to consider on doing this trick on a 360?? Does one squire oil into the spark hole B4 threading in the air pressure fitting?

Danka.... Tim
Old 04-10-2006, 12:18 AM
Inactive User

it could be your running to rich on your secondaries ,pull your plugs that should tell you what the heck's going on ,if its the guides i dout all of them are bad and the plugs will show it, if its rich all the plugs will be the same.but i would go worm it up stab the throttle stop and pull the plugs .
Old 04-10-2006, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eckertt@epri.co
Thanks guys for the input. OK, so I will replace the seals...

Which parts to buy? Where to buy good parts? Something make me think the seal for the EX is different from the one for intake?

Also, I plan to just do the old trick of pushing 100 psi compressed air into the spark plug hole to keep the valves closed and change the seals while the heads are on the block. Any special tricks I need to consider on doing this trick on a 360?? Does one squire oil into the spark hole B4 threading in the air pressure fitting?

Danka.... Tim
yeah, couldnt hurt and make sure your piston is at BDC! You can also stuff a section of poly-propylene rope in there and slowly rotate the motor toward TDC on the compression to get the valve to stay still while you are compressing the spring, ghetto-out in the middle of no where-cheap bastard style! I was going to include HillBilly but there are quite a few of you here...
Old 04-10-2006, 02:24 AM
Banned

Biggrin

hehehe...........

The air trick works good!
Old 04-10-2006, 04:30 PM
Inactive User

Default Air trick

Pista, if I am using the air trick (not the hillbilly rope trick) , why have the piston at BDC? I thought it was to be at TDC?
Old 04-10-2006, 06:23 PM
Banned

Biggrin

100#'s of air will move you piston down anyway, so dont worry about it.
Old 04-10-2006, 06:24 PM
Banned

You know?
I was thinking, smoke on hard acceleration means piston rings, right? Valve guides usually smoke at the lower RPM's, and when starting.
Old 04-11-2006, 01:12 AM
Inactive User

Default Run a compression check...........

and make sure the compression is where it is suppose to be with your pistons and cam. Valve seals usually show up at start up and idle. Know what your compression is suppose to be and what it is. All cyc's could be at 125 and nobody would suspect it but if it is suppose to be 155 or higher, it could be the rings. Ever got the engine HOT? That will kill rings QUICK.

Just thinking out loud.