Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 04-29-2006, 08:16 PM
Inactive User

Default hood scoops and daily drivers

ok, heres one i havent run into yet. guy wants to run a hemi dart hoodscoop on his mopar. but its his daily driver, and fuel injected. He also wants to make it functional by putting his air cleaner up through the hood. thats all he gave me.

now, this is on a late model Dakota. so i scratched my head, and figured out a way to bolt a plate to the magnum motor so i could make a scoop pan to get only fresh air. My question is, im worried that ingesting rainwater, fog, etc straingt down the throttle body wont exactly be healthy for his magnum motor over the years. again, his daily driver. he came by the shop in a torrential downpour. us there any way to make this thing cold air functional, but remove the fear of rainwater, etc?

thanks for any input. i mat even try this on mine before i do it to his just to work out the kinks.

Michael
Old 04-29-2006, 09:11 PM
Inactive User

make baffles to displace the water from the air and have drain holes before it ends up to the air filter.
I know guys with that type of setup and it works, but snow is a different story, that stuff packs in and melts and it hard as heck to get out. Thus no fresh air hood for me, though I do think about it from time to time.
Old 04-29-2006, 11:57 PM
Inactive User

I have a cowl induction scoop on my Dakota. It is functional and has a box under the opening with drain holes to the rear of the box. Never had a problem with snow while I lived in Michigan or rain. When at speed during a heavy rain, you can see water going into the opening. Never had a problem with it. The engine runs better with the cool air. I also mounted the intake air temp sensor inside the scoop area. Dan
Old 04-30-2006, 01:12 AM

There's a big difference between the Hemi Dart hood scoop (large forward facing scoop) and a cowl induction hood...
Old 04-30-2006, 02:01 AM
Inactive User

My little rear facing scoop has an opening of 5 1/2" high X 27" wide. I have tried many scoops including a "HEMI Dart" type scoop with an equal sized opening. Unless the forward facing scoop opening is about 5" above the surface of the hood ( pro stock type scoop) there is less air entery than the one I use. The leading edge of the hood tends to deflect the air over the scoop. I did extensive flow testing and that is why I am using the cowl indution. Go to jerry@stonebrotherswelding.com and ask Jerry how the black Dakota with the cowl induction hood scoop runs. Dan
Old 04-30-2006, 08:53 AM
Inactive User

can you provide me some pictures or a description of the baffles? im drawing a blank on how to build them and still have the scoop be functional. thanks for the help.

and in NC, snow isnt much of a problem. so we dont have to worry about that. if he's going up north, ill tell him to get a scoop plug.

Michael
Old 04-30-2006, 09:53 AM

DAHEMIKOTA - I am not trying to argue air flow. A forward facing scoop is more prone to bringing in rain water, dirt, bugs, etc.
Old 04-30-2006, 10:07 AM
Banned

Biggrin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusterbd
can you provide me some pictures or a description of the baffles? im drawing a blank on how to build them and still have the scoop be functional. thanks for the help.

and in NC, snow isnt much of a problem. so we dont have to worry about that. if he's going up north, ill tell him to get a scoop plug.

Michael
Best thing to do is forget the hood scoop. Unless it has a large area for an opening and it's off the surface of the hood be three inches or more it's useless. BEst thing to use is a ram air set up where the air cleaner takes in air from under the front bumper. It's in a high pressure area, the opening does not have to be as large and since the air moves uphill to the air cleaner it will also drain water back out of it. One such car that used this stock was the Thunderbird Supercoupe. The one with the V6 and Eaton supercharger.

There's an ad in the back of most performance and Mopar mags as well as oval track mags. They offer the aircleaner,tubing, scoop and all. Can't remember the name of it right off hand. I had an web site for it, but it's on the only PC.
Old 04-30-2006, 10:26 AM

Under the bumper? Good plan...

Met a guy the other day, he had a Nissan 300ZX with twin turbos, the setup was made with two low level entry pods for air.

One wet day he drove home, there was a lot of water on the road, then he went out again, went for the second time through a 2" stream across his street and this time it took in enough to hydraulic the engine.

Bent one rod as far as it could bend and still fit in the bore.

So he bought another engine and fitted it. Fired it up and straight away it hydrauliced on him, exactly the same, No 5 rod bent as far as it could bend.

He'd forgotten to empty the water out of the intercoolers...
Old 04-30-2006, 10:35 AM
Banned

Biggrin

YEah, turbos and superchargers have a tendency to pull water into the under the bumper set ups, but as long as he does stays normal aspirated he should not have any trouble, unless he's going 4 wheelin through the river I guess.
Old 04-30-2006, 04:50 PM
Inactive User

The setup DW is referring to is called Ram Air Box, and (amazingly!) the web site is http://www.ramairbox.com/

If you're going to be driving through streams you could always mount the scoops on the roof...
Old 04-30-2006, 09:38 PM
Inactive User

guy wants a "functional" hemi dart scoop. i know the benifits of ram air setups. shaved .05 in the quarter with a crappy one made from a stock air cleaner and dryer ducting on my duster.

still, if the guy is wanting me to do it, "the customer is always right". even if hes blatently wrong.

Michael
Old 04-30-2006, 11:05 PM
Inactive User

well why not take the best of both and try to find a way to make the HEMIDART scoop incorporate the ram air theory im sure there is a way to work it out and have it all functional.
Old 05-01-2006, 12:30 AM
Inactive User

Here are some pics of the baffle. Dan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_pan.jpg (24.1 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_pan1.jpg (27.0 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_scoop.jpg (20.8 KB, 21 views)
Old 05-01-2006, 12:37 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehostler
DAHEMIKOTA - I am not trying to argue air flow. A forward facing scoop is more prone to bringing in rain water, dirt, bugs, etc.
No problem, I like to get other peoples opinions on stuff. Thats how I learn new things. Dan
Old 05-01-2006, 08:19 PM
Inactive User

hemi dart scoop = kick ass looking parachute