Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 05-03-2006, 05:49 PM
Inactive User

Default a833od worth the swap? 72 duster

Hey I have searched but not come up with an answer that really made me feel comfortable about it yet.

There is a guy I know that want's to sell me an a833od aluminum case out of a feather duster. He will throw in a lakewood bell housing, the clutch, linkage, and everything else I would need to swap from the 727 that was going to go behind this 360 in a 72 duster.

I have learned that the 4th (od gear) is not very strong and cannot take abuse. What I am wondering is if in a drag situation if I will ever reach 4th?

I am not only considering this for fuel reasons, but because it is the only 4 speed I can come across.

Gear ratios are going to be stock, which means I don't yet know what they are. I am in the middle of a rear swap from a 74 bb pattern dart.

So will this bolt up, will it hold up to mild power, is it even worth my time?

I don't know what questions to ask, so if there is something else I need to know, please tell me.

thanks

Jay - the man with all the questions and no clue what he's talking about
Old 05-03-2006, 06:54 PM
Inactive User

Whether or not you will hit OD in the quarter depends on gear ratio, tire size, and engine power. I'm guessing you won't. Also, what do you consider to be "mild power?"
Old 05-03-2006, 09:42 PM

IIRC, the ratios for the overdrive top box are quite wide, probably really unsuited to dragging anyway... and with wide ratios like that, you'd probably not hit top gear if first gear was optimised with the rear axle ratio you're running.

And, of course, there are wide gaps in the ratios...

I was hoping to get one that was on ebay the other day, but it got too dear. I think one of these overdrive boxes would be ideal for my camper, which is going to run a fairly stock 318.
Old 05-03-2006, 10:23 PM
Banned

Biggrin

Quote:
Originally Posted by foney_email
Hey I have searched but not come up with an answer that really made me feel comfortable about it yet.

There is a guy I know that want's to sell me an a833od aluminum case out of a feather duster. He will throw in a lakewood bell housing, the clutch, linkage, and everything else I would need to swap from the 727 that was going to go behind this 360 in a 72 duster.

I have learned that the 4th (od gear) is not very strong and cannot take abuse. What I am wondering is if in a drag situation if I will ever reach 4th?

I am not only considering this for fuel reasons, but because it is the only 4 speed I can come across.

Gear ratios are going to be stock, which means I don't yet know what they are. I am in the middle of a rear swap from a 74 bb pattern dart.

So will this bolt up, will it hold up to mild power, is it even worth my time?

I don't know what questions to ask, so if there is something else I need to know, please tell me.

thanks

Jay - the man with all the questions and no clue what he's talking about
AN A833 o.d. is just as strong as a 4spd A833. It's the same tranny with the 3rd and 4th gears swapped in order to get the o.d. ratio. If you look at a 4spd both shift arms on the side face the same direction and the o.d unit one faces up and one faces down. The aluminum will save weight and it works good on the strip just to play with. You'll be ten times faster and more consistent with the A727 and you'ld be much better off with the auto to drag race with. I ran the 1/8 with an o.d. during a car show just playing around and got third, but there is no way to reach fourth in the 1/8 or 1/4. If you don't want this o.d. could you PM some contact info to me cause I can use it in an oval track car.
Old 05-04-2006, 08:32 AM

Settle down, dwc... I'm still smarting over the one I missed on ebay yesterday!
Old 05-04-2006, 10:14 AM
Banned

Biggrin

LOL!! I'll try not to get you too stired up.
Old 05-04-2006, 10:55 AM
Inactive User

Although an auto is more consistant, or faster, driving stick is just plain fun. I don't plan to drive an automatic ever again.

Well it doesn't really matter right now, because the trans looks to be a 3 speed manual. it only has 2 shift levers, one on each side. That would mean only 4 total gears, right? 1-3 and Reverse. I really don't know anything about these though, so I could still be wrong.

So It looks like the 727 will be the tranny that is put in when the engine is dropped into the duster. Unless I don't know how to identify a 4 speed I guess this will be auto for a while anyway.

I don't know, maybe when my girlfriend drives it, she will really like the ratchet shifter and not care about it being auto. I don't know. Anyway, Thanks a lot.

Jay Stone
Old 05-04-2006, 07:26 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

It's something you gotta want to have and take the pain and time to do it.
The O.D. tranny is weaker. The final drive is not where it used to be. They moved it to 3rd and 3rd to 4th. Thats why theres that one flipped down lever.
Also remember that it no calulates to the OD ratio times the rear gear to come up with the new final drive ratio. If you allready have 2.76's.......Think.

Also, if the tranny has 2 and only 2 levers, it's a 3spd. Had one, been there got ride of it.
Old 05-04-2006, 10:06 PM
Banned

Biggrin

Quote:
Originally Posted by foney_email
Although an auto is more consistant, or faster, driving stick is just plain fun. I don't plan to drive an automatic ever again.

Well it doesn't really matter right now, because the trans looks to be a 3 speed manual. it only has 2 shift levers, one on each side. That would mean only 4 total gears, right? 1-3 and Reverse. I really don't know anything about these though, so I could still be wrong.

So It looks like the 727 will be the tranny that is put in when the engine is dropped into the duster. Unless I don't know how to identify a 4 speed I guess this will be auto for a while anyway.

I don't know, maybe when my girlfriend drives it, she will really like the ratchet shifter and not care about it being auto. I don't know. Anyway, Thanks a lot.

Jay Stone
That's a 3 spd,so I'll guess you'll pass on it.
Old 05-04-2006, 10:08 PM
Banned

Biggrin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Bell
Settle down, dwc... I'm still smarting over the one I missed on ebay yesterday!

O.k. now quit crying. There's one for sale in the truck section. It's not aluminum, but it will work for ya.