Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 05-06-2006, 06:55 AM

Default Automatic Transmission, Help!

Hello. I have many doubts about the technical terms of the automatic transmissions when read parts catalogs.
I don't understand English a lot. I need to understand that they are:

'Trans-Brake'
'reversed shift pattern'
'lock-up and no lock-up converters'
'forward or reverse valve body.'

If somebody could explain to them or to say where I can obtain this information I would thank it very much
Old 05-06-2006, 07:02 AM
Banned

Biggrin

'Trans-Brake' When switched on it holds the car in first gear and reverse to hold the car at the starting line for a drag race. Hit the button and it relases the car from revers and it launches ... very hard. Used for all out drag racing.

'reversed shift pattern' Your stock car goes P,R,N,D,2,1 a revers patern valve body changes it to P,R,N,1,2,D that way as you laucnh a car and your thrown back into the seat you pull the shifter handle to you instead of away from you making it easier and quicker to get a manual shift completed, or so they claim.

'forward or reverse valve body.' Read above statement. Your stock is forward and the reverse is the second shift pattern.

You can get all the info and the best tranny products from TCI at www.tciauto.com It's what we use in all our race and street cars. Wont find anything better.
Old 05-06-2006, 07:19 AM

Thanks DWC43,

Any idea about 'lock-up and no lock-up converters'?
Old 05-06-2006, 08:51 AM
Inactive User

Biggrin I got this one!

A lock up converter has a clutch in it that semi-solidly (it can and does slip) locks the the engine to the tranny similar to a manual trans clutch. However these are mostly only used in street vehicles where gas mileage is the goal. They usually will not hold up to abuse and generally neither will the tranny that they uses them. A non lock converter is just another way of naming the traditional torque converter. For the most part you cannot put a non-lockup converter on a lock up trans and vice versa. So when you look at the books you need to know what transmission you have.
Hope this helps