Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 05-11-2006, 10:32 PM
Inactive User

rolleyes Rearend problem in my 41 coupe

Help! I recently purchased a 41 plymouth business coupe. It was already started as a street rod but, needs finishing. My problem is it had a 742 rear in it with 2.73 gears. I bought an 489 case with 3.55 gears and a posi. The problem is now my axles are to long to bolt back in. The guy that sold me the 489 case said to use 29" axles out of a 69 road runner. I bought a pair of used ones out of a 69 road runner. These are to short and will not contact the center to pre-load the bearings. My old axles are 29 13/16" measured from the inside flange to the end. I have no idea what rear end housing is in this car. The guy i got the car from said he thought it was out of a cordoba? Other than cutting and re-splining my old axles does anybody know of any other axles that might fit or to find out what housing i have in the car? Any help is appreciated. Frogskin
Old 05-11-2006, 11:40 PM
Inactive User

It would be best to get the entire Road Runner axle and install it in your car. Unless you know the width of the housing in your car, you will only be guessing on the axle length required.Go to http://www.440magnum-network.com/inf...rearaxle.shtml . They list all the dimensions . Dan
Old 05-12-2006, 12:02 AM

Sorry, but that website has incorrect information. The correct information is in the archives at the top of this forum.
Old 05-12-2006, 12:06 AM

As far as the axles being too long, it sounds like they have green bearings. If you look inside the 742 the 'axle shaft thrust spacer' has most likely been removed.

If you are using green bearings, then just remove the axle shaft thrust spacer from the 489.

From Autohobby digest

Quote:
The thrust block, or "axle shaft thrust spacer", is the block that both left and right axles butt up against inside the center of the differential. Prior to 1964, all open differentials used a thrust block was approximately 1/8" to 1/4" thicker than units made after 1964. The Sure Grip thrust block prior to 1964, however, was indentical to all 1964 and later Sure Grips and open differentials. In 1964, the thrust block width was changed to match the Sure Grip thrust block width.
Old 05-12-2006, 12:22 AM
Inactive User

Double check some measurements of the housing and compare them to the info in the tech archives. Maybe you can i d the housing and then get axles.

Could be a thrust block issue also.

There is also a guy on moparts named "Doctor Diff" who is extremely knowlegable in this area.

Maybe go over there and send him a pm. His real name is Cass.
Old 05-12-2006, 01:17 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehostler
Sorry, but that website has incorrect information. The correct information is in the archives at the top of this forum.
Give me a break. Basically the same chart. Some numbers are rounded off by a couple thou. I guess if god posted something we shouldn't try to help.
Old 05-12-2006, 06:40 AM
Inactive User

Red face How much

to long are they? You have extra room on the splined end to trim some off if its not to much. How about your adjuster? is it screwed all the way in? that would make your axles seem to long.
Old 05-12-2006, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAHEMIKOTA
Give me a break. Basically the same chart. Some numbers are rounded off by a couple thou. I guess if god posted something we shouldn't try to help.
That chart is all over the web and like most of those charts with the diagram it shows the '62-'70 B body as having the same width rear ends when there are actually 3 different widths in those years.

Also, the correct way to measure axle length is from the outside of the flange to the splined tip of the axle shaft.

Quote:
From Autohobby digest

The thrust block, or "axle shaft thrust spacer", is the block that both left and right axles butt up against inside the center of the differential. Prior to 1964, all open differentials used a thrust block was approximately 1/8" to 1/4" thicker than units made after 1964. The Sure Grip thrust block prior to 1964, however, was indentical to all 1964 and later Sure Grips and open differentials. In 1964, the thrust block width was changed to match the Sure Grip thrust block width.
This too is incorrect, the pre-'64 open differential thrust block is thinner than the Sure-Grip thrust block, this means that non-SG axles prior to '64 are longer than SG axles.
Old 05-12-2006, 04:37 PM
Inactive User

I don't recall stating how to measure axle shafts. After spending over 30 years of my life working at Chrysler Engineering, I wouldn't believe anything someone quotes from a he said she said paper or magazine article. I have actual prints of parts that were made for production that most people have never seen or heard of. Yet they were still put in a certain few cars. For example have you ever seen or heard of a four bolt main 413 Max Wedge? Four bolt main 440 Six Pac? 413 V8 Diesel? 1973 "A" Body 8 3/4" 4.5" bolt circle axle shaft? PN 3507885 (Lenght 27.42"-27.44") Oh well, could argue all day about who is right. Bye. Dan
Old 05-12-2006, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Given the choice between usinhg accurate information and information that is off by up to an inch, I will choose accurate information. As the accurate information is available right here, why go to another website to get inaccurate information.
Old 05-13-2006, 12:26 PM

Quote:
"A" Body 8 3/4" 4.5" bolt circle axle shaft? PN 3507885 (Lenght 27.42"-27.44")
Ill take 2! Out of production for about 30 years?
Old 05-13-2006, 03:59 PM

Quote:
I don't recall stating how to measure axle shafts.
Never said you did, the original post contained the following sentence:
"My old axles are 29 13/16" measured from the inside flange to the end."
You can't compare printed data, right or wrong, unless the method of measurement is consistent. Mopar axles are measured from the outside of the flange.

Quote:
After spending over 30 years of my life working at Chrysler Engineering, I wouldn't believe anything someone quotes from a he said she said paper or magazine article.
Neither would I, but actual measurements taken from original parts that agree with publications such as the Hollander Interchange are in disagreement with the page you originally posted.