Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 06-02-2006, 10:26 AM
Inactive User

Default Correct engine color????

Well I have tried several sources and have come up with several different colors and seem to be incorrect.
I have tried:
1. Mopar Perf rattle can - Too dark
2. MM Tech archive color (Dupont #4799D) its metallic and if you delete the metallic its very dark blue, if you replace the metallic with white its closer to Pontiac blue.
3. Contacted professional Mopar resto shop for their mix and it is too blue.
4. Used the mix provided on the Imperial forum, looks good but is not correct.

I have an 11K original engine so I am using it as a test color. It is super clean and places like the back of the heads provide the best color. Also the T-converter has paint on it to use as a reference.

What did you guys use?
Old 06-02-2006, 01:06 PM
Banned

Biggrin

The Mopar Performance paint is the exact same color used on your engine. There is nothing different about it. It's what the factory used. Paint your engien and let it sit for as many years aswyour 11k engine and you'll see it's exactly the same. Used it for years and will continue to. Do you think the factory would sell you paint or there car with the same color and paint codes and then it don't match?? Give me a break.
Old 06-02-2006, 02:45 PM
Inactive User

Default Its close

Well its close for sure but it is not a match not on my engine nor on any engine I have ever tested or seen. And I have tested NOS painted parts. Professional restorers also agree with me. They do not use rattle cans to paint engines. I have used their paint and have had significant color shift between cans. So how could that be if they are all supposed to be the same color?
I would rather mix my own paint in a more durable modern mix.
Ever use the orange? Its like water! Terrible coverage. But that sells more paint cans doesn't it.
Old 06-02-2006, 03:14 PM

If you can bring a sample of a part painted the color you want to any decent paint store, they can computer match the color. Home Depot can do it but I don't know if they have the proper grade of paint for automotive engines.
Old 06-02-2006, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by v 194
I have an 11K original engine so I am using it as a test color. It is super clean and places like the back of the heads provide the best color. Also the T-converter has paint on it to use as a reference.
After many years in the ozone and many heat cycles I doubt if the color is just as it left the factory; only a time warp would provide a "correct" sample.

It does seem that the MP paint does vary, I had some older cans of Street Hemi Orange and there was a noticeable difference from the current offering.
Old 06-05-2006, 09:52 AM

It does seem that the MP paint does vary, I had some older cans of Street Hemi Orange and there was a noticeable difference from the current offering.[/QUOTE]

I`ll agree that it does vary. I bought 3 cans of `72 blue. 2 were the same, and one was a little lighter. All were MP, had the same part number, came from Mancini on the same purchase order. I did not check lot numbers though.

Rock`
Old 06-09-2006, 05:18 PM

the mp spray bomb stuff is water thin and basicly falls off. i used por 15's engine paint.