Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 06-07-2006, 05:29 PM
Inactive User

Default Serious vibration trouble!!!!!!

Hello all, I have a recent situation. I recently changed tranny fluid and replaced the tranny support. Now the steering wheel vibrates like crazy around 35 MPH. The old support was slam worn out, my motor mounts are still worn out. When I put in the new support the tranny had to go up about an inch when the previous bushing had worn away. Car is a 71 B with 318 and auto. Help please where do I start to look!!! I already check for mud in the hub caps because thats what it feels like, but it was clean!!
Old 06-10-2006, 10:34 AM
Inactive User

Check the u-joints on the drive shaft thay are probably just as worn as the tranny and engine mounts. They may have been bad all along and the worn out tranny mount was allowing the tranny to wiggle and make the vibration not so bad or may be not noticable. Now that the new mount is in and the tranny is tight to the body and you can feel the vibration more. Also if you have sagging leaf springs that can change your pinion angle too. If you do take the drive shaft out also check for play in the yolk on the differential .Just a thought.
Old 06-11-2006, 08:07 PM
Inactive User

Ok here we go with more info. I checked the drive shaft and I can't even budge it an inch it is solid as a rock. The vibration only acures between 30 -35 and then it goes awy. It is extremly noticable and seems to be coming from around midways of the vehicle. Right around where I put the new tranny mount. When we put the new tranny mount in it didn't go in straight its kinda cockeyed could this be the source of my troubles? I replaced the motor mounts this weekend that rules them out. Anybody have any ideas on this one?