Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 06-15-2006, 01:32 PM
Inactive User

Default setting 489 case 8 3/4 pinion depth

I put a b body 8 3/4 in my truck and a 4.10 sure-grip my problem is we cant get the pinoin depth right, and the gears are singin like a biotch. Can any one tell me how to set it up?? I was planig on runnin Sportsman at the Columbus Chrusler Classic this weekend but that is now out the window. Thanks for any help you can give.
Old 06-15-2006, 04:01 PM

The contact pattern is the only way to know if the pinion depth is correct, the fancy pinion depth setting tools may only get you in the ballpark.

If the contact patch looks good and the gears still sing, the gears are defective.
Old 06-15-2006, 04:51 PM
Inactive User

The contact is a little off aording to the factory service manual. but we aren't sure what the deal is my dad said that it's the worst noise that he's ever heard from an 8 3/4. The main problem is the fact that someone else had their hands in it before us and we think there might be some washers or something missing because we added about .050 thousandths worth of shims and the contact pattern is still off. Any ideas?
Old 06-15-2006, 04:53 PM
Inactive User

Oh and does any one know where I can fin a good scheematic of the internals of the 489 case?
Old 06-17-2006, 07:20 PM
Inactive User

Did you re-use any bearings?

torch
Old 06-18-2006, 12:09 AM
Inactive User

John Kunkle should have a schematic for that housing. Dan
Old 06-18-2006, 01:03 AM
Inactive User

Was this new stuff or what?

If you have tried to change the contact pattern on a used gear set, you won't have much luck.

So why was the depth changed initially?

Noisy new gear set?
Just a bearing replace?
Set pattern prior to install, then noisy(used gears)?
Noisy, then tried to correct noise with pattern change(used gears)?
Old 06-19-2006, 12:52 AM
Inactive User

Ok so the deal with the heads is my dada got them out of a challenger shell that he used to reshell a car back in the 80's for some one . The guy who he was doing this for got the shell from Mitchel Motors. The pig was in it as a roller.They look to be a new set of gears and all the bearings that were in them were new but the contact patern from roling it around was way to the inside endand the carrier bearing adusters didn't seem to be tight.The factory servace manual said we needed more shim so as I said we added .050 worth of shims. and when we checked the contact patter on the gears it was a little off but it looked runable.While we were in there we removed the axle spacer because I have green bearings in it. We installed the pig and the nextday we tryed it and it sang,alot. It was worst fom about 35 to about 50 or so. but it siang all the way from any 15 or so on up to road speedand when the engine leavled off the noise seemed to do the same(thats about all the farther i took it) but i did get on it alittle harder a few times an the noise seemed to go away,but it might have just been the. motor waz drownding out the noise. We took it out and readujusted the bearings to see if they were to tight but when we put it back in the noise seemed worse at road speed. So now we figure the pinoin depth is still off some but we need to know how to figure out how much more shim we need to add.It moved it about half as mutch as we needed acording to what we can figure but we only have 2 shims left mow n we destroyed the first rear pinion bearing so we nto get it right this time so we dont spend a fortune byeing new bearings trying toset the pinion depth. As I said before we were also thinkin it might have some washers missing. Well thats the hole story,thanks for the input so far.