Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 03-30-1999, 01:42 AM
redvanjan

I recently purchased a 1984 Dodge 150 van with a 318, 2 barrel carb. The engine is in pretty good shape and like everybody else I would like to have a little more power now with some minor modifications, and later on do some major modifications for real power. I am thinking of installing an MSD 6A CD Ignition module and a K&N air filter to start with.
For those of you out there that have had some similar experiences, am I going in the right direction...any other recommendations?
I am new on this board and would welcome all suggestions on links, magazines, etc. where I may be able to find ideas and staged power mods projects.

Thanks

John A
Old 03-30-1999, 04:22 AM
Christopher

Depends on what all you want to do....I would stick with the MoPar electronic ign.and the orange box control unit.If you are going to change the induction,I like the edelbrock performer and a Holley or Carter 600 cfm carb.(I personally like Holleys)What are you going to do with the van??? Towing?? Back and forth to work?? Work vehicle??? Camper?? The 318 is a good engine and it responds very well with a little hop-up.
Old 04-01-1999, 10:24 PM
74duster318

I put an MSD on my 318 and headers,intake cam,carb but the biggest boost in performance came from swapping out the gears in my diff. I went from 2.45 (economy was a big issue in 74) to 4.10. Basically that meaens a 64% increase in power put to the ground. No other mod that I know of can touch this except for nitrous.
Old 04-10-1999, 03:58 AM
74 Dart 360

I used to have a 318 and ran bracket racing, When I was in street class I ran & 10.95 with stock 2 barrel intake and carb.Then I upgraded to a Edelbrock performer intake and 600 cfm. Holley carb then I my 1/8 mile time was 10.13 that is a very big jump for a Eng. that had alot of miles on it.
Old 04-16-1999, 06:34 PM
Richard Reardon

John, Christopher gave you some very good ideas so I won't repeat them. FYI, Chrysler was one of the first (maybe the first) mfgr. to install electronic ignitions in their production vehicles way back in '74. Don't waste your $ replacing what is already very good. You don't want to monkey w/ final drive gearing unless you really consider seriously your gas mileage sufferings. I had an unmodified '70 340 Duster Auto trans. and all I ever got for mileage was 12 1/2 mpg no matter if it was to work or traveling to FL. It had 3:90 to 1 rear final drive unit. I wouldn't recommend anything steeper than 3:23s for your use. Go with a limited slip unit if you can find one. What goes in must come out. In addition to Chris's suggestion, buy a good set of thick walled headers. This will let your engine breath out and the good quality thick walls will last longer and be a tad quieter than thin wall cheapies. The "Hot Jet" coatings available today will greatly extend the life of the header, make it a tad quieter and reduce the heat under the hood. Any steel tube header will run hotter and noiser than your stock cast iron ones. Keep this in mind before you decide. Go to Meinekee for a custom dual exhaust @ least 2inch dia. all the way back. Midas is too expensive. Add an equalizer cross connect pipe 1-2 feet back of the header flanges. This should be the same dia as the main pipes or ~ 1/4 inch less @ 1 3/4"s. You really want to get serious consider a set of 360 heads. I believe the valves are a bit larger for better breathing. I can't tell you which year heads are best for 360 types. However, to get even more serious, go for a set of '68 to '71 340 heads. These had huge 2.02" intakes by 1.60 exhausts, same as the 'ole Chevy "fueli" heads. You may have to notch the top of the cylinder head bores to clear these big intake valves, I'm not sure. A reputable auto machine shop should have the ability to help you there. Of course if you go to these heads, you want to go with the 340 cam profile too. The '68 4-speed cam was the hot stock factory unit. You go to the "purple shaft" (street Hemi) grind you loose your bottom end torque. Then you get into using a higher stall converter to make this up. There is a lot of things you can do. Start with purchasing a performance guide from Peterson Publishing on hot tips for hopping up the Mopar Small Block V8.
Good luck.
Rich
Old 04-17-1999, 01:16 AM
Christopher

Richard,This is exactly the same setup I had on my first car(72 318 Duster)and It worked great.In fact I'm doing the same buildup for the 318 in my Ramcharger.The 360 heads will work and they can be opened up to 2.02 intakes but I generally don't do this as the engine's powerband is usually in the cruising range most of the time.And you are right,Chrysler was the first with a standard electronic ignition.It became standard in 1973,was a option in 1972,and was offered in 1971 on 340 cars.