Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 07-06-2006, 12:45 PM
Inactive User

Default Weight question?

I have a 1971 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus, 383, and i am looking for a way to loose some serious weight. I still want to run a heater. Can anyone help me out with this? Fiberglass panels are an option, but from where?
Old 07-06-2006, 01:53 PM

remove the seats and run a racing style or van seat. Those La-Z-boys in there are heavy!
Old 07-06-2006, 02:01 PM
Inactive User

Man, the question is where do you start and where do you stop, and how much can you spend,I'll give suggestions I've already done and additional ideas I'm planning on doing. Intake manifold, go aluminum,waterpump housing also aluminum and water pump you will cut about 25#, aluminum heads thats another 40#, remove anything under the hood you don't need, a/c unit, cruise control, etc. Aluminum master cylinder, (high torque starter- save 11#) Disc. brakes up front, here's a trade off but it will cut weight-manual steering box. (move your battery to the trunk it doesn't cut weight but a great transfer of weight-but then remove the battery box for some gain. I haven't done this yet but I've seen it done and I plan on doing it,-cut the k-frame back from the oil pan, cut it out and weld in 14 gauge steel in the spacing left from the cut, you don't need that much strenght there and the moly tube kits are about $3500.(but you loose 150#)I think that's a good start for you after that I would consider fiberglass panels as cost per pound lost.
Old 07-06-2006, 02:31 PM
Inactive User

"The best way to remove 100 lbs from a race car is to find 1600 places to remove an ounce." A quote I remember from a long time ago, I just don't remember who said it. But it's good advise. If you plan on removing a lot of weight, you have to look at everything. Of course with a large budget you can just buy lighter replacement parts, but there's still a limit to how far that will take you. Everything has a tradeoff, but for example, how about your carpeting? If you're willing to tolerate more road noise you can loose about 10 lbs right there. Do you need a dome light? Another few ounces, and don't forget to strip the wiring out of the harness as well. Same with the light inside the glove box. Some of the things you can do are a lot of work for a little gain, but if you have a lot of time and not a lot of money you can make a real difference if you apply yourself.

Of course don't forget the easy stuff like making sure you're not hauling around a bunch of junk in the trunk, and no fat chicks!
Old 07-06-2006, 03:22 PM
Banned

Biggrin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTorreto
I have a 1971 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus, 383, and i am looking for a way to loose some serious weight. I still want to run a heater. Can anyone help me out with this? Fiberglass panels are an option, but from where?
MAS Racing Products has fiberglass 651-644-6811 We have used them on one project.

I think VFN ia another one. I used to have some links to several glass comnpanies, but they are on the old PC. Just do a google search for them. And remove the metal frame behind both bumpers. That will netyou over a hundred lbs right there. And get rid of the carpet and padding. It's somewhere around 70 lbs depending on how much of it you have and how thick the padding is. It kinda vaies by car.
Old 07-06-2006, 06:46 PM

I did what 72Challenger suggested with my '72 Demon. Look at every component of the car and see if it can be whittled away or swapped for something lighter (within the limits of safety of course). Replace non-structural bolts, like the ones used to level your hood, with nylon or aluminum. Ford used alum. for their air cleaner housings. Aluminum wheels of course. Minimize the sound system or eliminate it, I ran mine without the 6x9 rear speakers. A small scissor jack is lighter than the stock one, and a jack from the previous gen RX-7 is lighter still, Mazda used the same approach when they debuted that car. One from Mopar Action; use the lightest battery that will function in your car. I know the seats that were in my eagle Vision were a lot lighter than those in my wagon and they were more comfortable.
Old 07-06-2006, 07:25 PM
Inactive User

The Alterkation K-member 150# www.bigblockdart.com or www.reillymotorsports.com.
www.hybrid-fiberglass-solutions.com
www.classiccarwiring.com
www.autobodyspecialt.com for bodyparts
MAS racing products(651) 644-6811
The after market has: hoods, fenders,bumpers and other body parts available. Good luck in your quest and keep us posted on successes and failures.
Old 07-07-2006, 10:58 PM
Inactive User

Default Money weight

Not having the thousands of dollars you can spend on fiberglass and an alterkation kit in your pocket will lighten things up too.
Old 07-08-2006, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72Challenger
... and no fat chicks!
C'mon, Chally! Where is your spirit of adventure? Yeah, and no 100 lb tool box. Hey, go to Costco and fill up the tires, all 5, with nitrogen. Its lighter in the Periodic Table of Elements! Aren't drums lighter than discs? (I could be here all night looking these smilies up...)
Old 07-08-2006, 01:51 AM
Inactive User

You're right, Pishta, fat chicks need love too! As a matter of fact, I vaugely recall a thread you posted about driving around with fat chicks. Had to be before you were married, as I recall your wife is pretty trim. Does she know about your, ah, "prior adventures"?
Old 07-08-2006, 05:46 AM
Inactive User

You do have the option of the ultimate "adventure", aluminum block and heads. Our 408 weighs 352 lbs. from carb to pan. But then you wouldn't need a hood either---if you wanted to show it off!
Old 07-08-2006, 07:18 PM

Ah, Chally, its all good. Im no chubby chaser, but any port in the storm will do ( Go ahead and post date this reply to June 6 1998 and Ill be safe) Im happy now.