Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 07-17-2006, 10:44 PM
Inactive User

Help 96 5.9 in a 75 Duster

I just want to start off by saying I am new to the forum. I have a few questions about something I'm about to attempt. I have a 1975 Duster, an original slant 6 car. I have swap mounts to make a 5.9 Magnum circa 1996 fit. My intentions are to bolt the 5.9 directly to my original 727 transmission after a new torque converter. So, I guess here is my big question: Should I keep the fuel injection already installed on the engine or replace the intake with a 4BBL intake???? If I keep the fuel injection how hard is it to install on the car? Is there a kit that will ease this pain? Or am I better off opening my wallet for the $300 intake and a nice carborator? If the carborator is the route I should take, what's a good size? Around 500CFM??? I am totally lost on this Magnum block stuff. I would really appreciate any help I can get and I'm sort of on a budget at this time. The reason I'm ending up with the Magnum block anyway is a local salvage yard has a 96 Ram 2500 which was t-boned with low miles. So, I'll get everything for around $600. Please, please, please in the name of all that is Mopar, help me out!

Ryan
Old 07-18-2006, 12:43 AM
Banned

Biggrin

Kill the fuel injection.You'll be running wire for ever. Install an electric fuel pump,older stock dist., intake and carb. 500 is too small for a 360. Stock 4bbl. carb on the 360 is an 800 cfm Thermoquad from Carter. Add some headers,2 1/2" pipes and an X pipe and it will be good to go. And in carb form it's easier to mod than with efi.
Old 07-18-2006, 12:59 AM
Inactive User

aww, stick with EFI man, way better partial throttle response, economy, etcetera, not a whole lot harder to mod either, just a slightly different approach and sometimes more expensive.
Old 07-18-2006, 08:40 AM
Inactive User

hold up. the 'stock' 727 won't fit if its from a slant. they have a VERY different bellhousing. even if you already have a V8 tranny, you need to make sure you get it the correct balancer and/or flexplate for a MAGNUM 360. 360s are externally balanced unlike the 318 and the slant.

as for FI, retro fit the wiring from the RAM...it'll be worth it, but i agree it will be a hassle, just take your time while stripping the donor, so you are sure what connectors go where. before you cut any wire, be SURE the computer is unplugged. they don't like static electricity.

just to give you something else to think about, what rear end do you have in the dart?

sb
Old 07-18-2006, 04:30 PM
Inactive User

As of now the 727 bolted right up to the 360 no issue there..and yes it came off the 225 S6. As for the rear..its the stock 6cil rear. but that is about to change. i have a wrecked and rusted out 71 duster 340 that will be giving me a the new rear. My only deal with the EFI is that the doner truck has now been crushed. So im pretty much SOL on all the little stuff. I really think i might hold on the the intake. i never know when i will run across another truck. I have a new 650cfm i bought not tolong ago for another car...do you think the 360 will run it?
Old 07-18-2006, 05:11 PM
Inactive User

have you tried putting a starter on it yet?

there is no way a slant tranny bolts to a V8.....UNLESS you have a early truck small block 727 to slant 6 adapter. pretty hard to find now-a-days, but out there sometimes. post a picture, please.

http://www.slantsix.com/UBB/Forum16/HTML/009689.html

ebay has tons of intakes on it that will allow you to put a carb on your magnum. 650 carb will work.

good luck.

sb
Old 07-18-2006, 05:12 PM
Inactive User

650 cfm is a good size for a stock to mildly built 360.

Too bad you didn't pull the trans from the truck, you probably would have liked having an overdrive.
Old 07-18-2006, 05:35 PM
Inactive User

the 727 i am using is not from the slant 6...this is what i get for paying someone in scarp iron to clean up my car! lol Its from an old cracked 340. I just broke down found on ebay a 5.9 intake on a buy it now at $70 and its a real Mopar intake. not too bad when they run over $300. Lets prey when it comes in that its not warped!
Old 07-20-2006, 12:35 AM
Inactive User

The injection system on these engines is great. I just finished up making my 92 5.2 work in my '73 Scamp. Wiring should be almost identicle. I ran into a few snags along the way, but honestly the wiring wasn't as daunting as I had first expected it to be. If you have good wiring diagrams of both cars (I used the Haynes book for the '92 Dakota and a full color diagram I got for the Scamp) it matches up pretty well, and I was planning on maping out a new wiring diagram when I smooth out a few other issues too. If you deicde to keep the injection I'm more than happy to give you pointers/answer questions. Major points I ran into include:
-You will need to cut a notch in the tranny for the crankshaft position sensor. No big deal.
-To keep the injection you will need to have a return fuel line to the tank from the engine. Your duster should already have one for the emissions system from the charcoal canister, but since it was originally set up for fumes only, there are little regulators on either end of the line witch prevent fuel flow. The one in the engine bay is easy to cut and crimp a lip on. You will need ot drop the tank and drill out the other one to the full size of the line.
-The only wiring thing that is not just "match up the leads" is making sure that the "on" position on the key maintains 12V while in the "crank" position. I achieved this with a jumper wire were the ignition resistor used to be.
I'm sure there were a lot of other things I ran into that I can't remember off the top of my head, but I was planning on going over everything and making a list of everything I changed anyway.
Old 07-20-2006, 01:43 AM
Inactive User

Smile

Question:

Why is there a 727 for a /6? I thought that that 904 was built with the /6 in mind?

Also, how do the newer Magnum engine transmissions hold up to 400-500 HP? What kind of mods are nesc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob7z7
but I was planning on going over everything and making a list of everything I changed anyway.
Oh yeah? That'll probably help many people. Installing a EFI magnum engine in an A-body sounds like a fun project to me.
Old 07-20-2006, 05:20 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dust
Also, how do the newer Magnum engine transmissions hold up to 400-500 HP? What kind of mods are nesc? Installing a EFI magnum engine in an A-body sounds like a fun project to me.
I'm not entirely sure what you're asking here, but as far as the modern trannies go there's the A518 and the A500. Both are overdrive, which is the weak link. Other than that they're fairly similar to their predicesors. However, making them fit in an A body requires fairly extensive floor surgeory. I'm running a 904 for the moment (maybe not for long, see my other post), but eventually plan on putting in a 727. Bolts right up after the small mod for the CPS. It certainly has been a fun project so far! She's in the exhaust shop right now, and I'm anxiously awaiting her relase so I can get her back on the road!
Old 07-20-2006, 01:36 PM
Inactive User

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob7z7
I'm not entirely sure what you're asking here, but as far as the modern trannies go there's the A518 and the A500. Both are overdrive, which is the weak link. Other than that they're fairly similar to their predicesors. However, making them fit in an A body requires fairly extensive floor surgeory. I'm running a 904 for the moment (maybe not for long, see my other post), but eventually plan on putting in a 727. Bolts right up after the small mod for the CPS. It certainly has been a fun project so far! She's in the exhaust shop right now, and I'm anxiously awaiting her relase so I can get her back on the road!
Yup, you answered it. I did not know the names, A518 A500... Sounds like a built 904 or 727 is the way to go althought I'd probably go with a A833 if it's not too much more work to install.