Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 01-10-2000, 01:35 AM
Inactive User

I have an 85 Dodge Ramcharger Royal SE 2x4 (with power steering). Over the last few months that is all I have driven, and I got used to it's loose steering. I came home for Christmas break and realized how tight I would like the steering to be when driving my parent's cars and my brother's car. I have heard about tightening a bolt or screw on the steering gear, but my Haynes repair guide doesn't mention anything about that and I don't want to mess up anything. How do I tighten the steering (I would like as little steering wheel play as possible)?

------------------
Stephen Crouch
youknowme@geocities.com
Old 01-10-2000, 02:09 AM
Inactive User

I don’t know the exact procedure and don’t have any service manuals here at the computer. If your not in a hurry I would suggest getting a service manual. The procedure is in there. I am sure someone will give it here too. However if your planning on keeping your Ramcharger I would get the service manual. There is valuable information in it, and the wiring diagrams can be life savers. The phone number for ordering one is (440)-572-0725, ask for service publications for Chrysler. It will cost you $40 to $60. You can even get express service for a price. Also don’t forget to check for wear in the steering shaft coupling at the gear box. My 84 D250 got sloppy and it was the coupling wearing out. Just check
Old 01-10-2000, 03:56 AM
Inactive User

Check the steering coupling. They wear out quick and are a big problem. I use a Borgeson steering shaft on mine, and they are awesome! If you don't have one, I highly recommend them.
Borgeson Universal Co., Inc.
PH: (860)482-8283
FX: (860)496-9320

I hope those numbers are good. I got them out of an old 4WD magazine.

------------------
~Elwenil~ ~.\|/.~
Elwenil.cjb.net
DodgeChargerSE@aol.com
72 Charger SE
Old 01-10-2000, 05:19 AM
Inactive User

Cool

I'll second Elwinel's Borgeson recomendation. I've also heard of steering couplers and U joints being used from various other sources, farm equipment, etc. The way I drive my 4x4's on gravel though, I like the stainless joint.

------------------
If it ain't a Dodge, it's a dog!

Brian Mills
Old 01-12-2000, 04:45 AM
Inactive User

I used to have a 1980 Plymouth Trailduster 4 x 4. I had sloppy steering in it too and finally traced it to the coupling in the steering shaft. The problem is the coupling is exposed to water and dirt in the wheel housing. There is a rubber gasket and a cap and if the cap is not secured properly, water and dirt get inside the coupling housing. Anyways I found that I could rebuild my coupling with an extra Duster steering shaft that I had laying around. And then I made sure the cap to the coupling was secured properly so the gasket would seal out the dirt and water.

[This message has been edited by moparscott (edited January 11, 2000).]
Old 01-12-2000, 05:48 AM
Inactive User

Cool

You can rebuild that steering joint at the steering box with factory parts if you like. Some guys have done this and then installed a grease nipple and just keep the joint full of grease. In Canada, i paid $360.00 for that Borgeson joint delivered to my door, the factory rebuild kit is about $60.00 here, but you will deal with it wearing even with the grease. Options are nice,and all, but I'd have to recomend spend the bucks on Borgeson, probably $200.00 U.S. The kit can be self installed, but it is a pain from what I've heard.

P.S. Don't play with the adjuster on the steering box unless absolutely necassary, 99.9% of the time it is this joint.

------------------
If it ain't a Dodge, it's a dog!

Brian Mills
Old 01-13-2000, 03:22 AM
Inactive User

I have an '83 Ramcharger and have replaced the guts of the coupler for around $ 10 from the dealer. This takes about 85% of the play out of the steering. Try this first. Low buck and e-z to do.
Old 01-13-2000, 04:15 AM
Inactive User

I am the owner of an 85 Dodge Power Ram and have had to replace the steering joint twice, it is the cheapest way to go, but the steering starts to loosen up within the first 2000 miles. I am now on the third and will not do it again. I am going to get and install the Borgeson unit. I installed this unit on a friends 85 Dodge Ram and I could not believe how great it felt.
Old 01-27-2000, 11:59 PM
Inactive User

Thanks for all the help. I think I'll get the Borgeson unit as soon as I have enough money (definately before I drive home over spring break). As for the service manual, Chrysler no longer carries them, and neither do the Mopar dealers in my area (I called all six in Lubbock Co., TX). I finally found one from Bishko Books (1-800-544-3312), who sold me a new service manual for $89 + shipping (I think the $89 includes sales tax also)
Old 01-28-2000, 12:21 AM
Inactive User

I have a 1984 Dodge Ram Prospector stepside - with a respectable 360 - on the powersteering pump is an allen head bolt that goes through a locknut. I had to do this to mine to make the steering tighter. What you do is loosen the nut and then use the allen wrench and turn it only half a turn and tighten the locknut up. Only turn it a half turn and then test it, half a turn makes a world of difference. This worked for me and it only took 15 minutes (10 minutes finding the damn allen wrench!) Good luck!
Old 01-28-2000, 12:24 AM
Inactive User

PS, did I forget to mention turning the allen bolt clockwise?