Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 07-20-2006, 12:33 PM
Inactive User

Default Degreeing a cam???

I am getting ready to degree my cam in my 318 and it's something I never had done it before. I know there are several different methods to do it. I picked up the Proform cam degree kit from Jegs and it degrees the cam with the head on and with valve, lifter, pushrods and rockers installed.

Now I have read a couple articles about degree the cam with the head on but they use a solid lifter and the dial indicator reading the lifter in the bore, with no valves or nothing installed.

With all the valve train installed would the reading be as accurate as just readig the lifter in the bore? I would think installing the valve train would throw the readings off since there are so many different variables?

Should I have cam lube on the intake lobe or not? I've read that it can thow the readings off.

Also, anyone have any tips? I am gonna try to give a shot tonight. It doesn't seem difficult. My biggest comcern is that I don't know how to read the dial indicator. LOL!!!!
Old 07-20-2006, 01:01 PM
Inactive User

Smile

What method are you using to degree you cam? If it's the same method I did then...

You do need 2 solid lifters to do it right, you can get them from the dealership but be aware that the Mopar Perf. lifters are shorter than the standard lifter.

My dad and I degree'd the cam in my 408, neither of us had done this before or had seen it done before. We just followed the Comp Cams instructions and it worked out well.

btw:
Impact the crank bolt on, you'll need to turn the engine counter-clockwise with that bolt.

I think the name of the method I used was 'intake center line'. I had the heads and valve train all installed.
Old 07-20-2006, 01:13 PM
Inactive User

I think it's the same method that you used. The Proform kit is reading it off the valve spring retainer though instead of the lifter.

http://www.proformparts.com/mistore/...pany_id=100719

http://www.streetperformance.com/mis...0719/66787.pdf
Old 07-20-2006, 01:21 PM
Inactive User

Smile

Yup, same thing. Do you have 2 solid lifters?
Old 07-20-2006, 01:24 PM
Inactive User

Nope! LOL!!!

Guess I'll have to go buy some.
Old 07-20-2006, 01:28 PM
Inactive User

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackAce
Nope! LOL!!!

Guess I'll have to go buy some.
Mopar Perf part num 1-P2843177 if you want to go to a dealership. Like I said, they are shorter. I hope you have adjustable rocker arms ^_^.
Old 07-21-2006, 02:59 AM
Inactive User

I looked up the proform web page, and the method they show has som problems if used on a Mopar. Mainly, the rocker arms are not adjustable, and the ratios are not very accurate if using stock stamped rockers. not to mention the pushrod angle of the small blocks.
If you have to dial the cam in with the heads on, try to clamp something onto the pushrod so you can take the dial indicator measurements off the pushrod. Thos will really help if the cam card gives you installed positions at 0.050" and not the cam centerline method. with cam centerline method, I would take readings with about 0.200" of lobe lift so the opening and closing ramps don't throw off the readings.
Old 07-21-2006, 11:36 AM
Inactive User

So I should degree the cam with the head off then?? Can I reuse the head gasket? They are brand new and I justy torque them down the other day?