Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 07-21-2006, 09:09 AM
Inactive User

Default Electric Choke Kit???

Hey, the '72 Satellite I bought a few months back has a swapped on Carter AVS. The aluminum intake it sits on has no provision for a thermostic choke. I was wondering if there is a kit to add a electric choke to a AVS.
How about swapping an Edelbrock choke for a Performer onto this carb? Had to get into swapping intakes/carbs. Need to get this working right on the cheap. Decided to sell this Satellite (hard times) and I have a buyer, but he wants to drive it home.
Old 07-21-2006, 11:03 AM
Moparchat Bronze member

Stand by while I post pictures on how to do this. An edelbrock carb or parts new from them is a great donor. I did it to my AVS's
Old 07-21-2006, 11:07 AM
Moparchat Bronze member

OK, this is going to be a 500 edit post, but, here we go.

Picture 431 shows a broken area that hasn't caused a probem. Take the mounting screws for the choke housing to Sears or Ace and match up the thread sizes. Get a drill and tap for the project. Center up the drill and then run the tap for nice new threads.

433 shows the unit mounted. But notice the choke rod. It goes to the tab that controls the choke plate. It isn't OE. It Edelbrocks. No problems.

437 shows a reaward shot and where I ran the ground. I'm not sure if I left it there. This engine is ready to go into a Duster right now once I clean up the bay some. But you can see how the mounting works.

439 is a comparo shot of the modified OE AVS on the bottom and the Carter Comp. series carb that was purchased new some years ago when they were making them new before Edelbrock made them.

The worst problem you'll have is clocking the plastic housing to set up the choke. Start @ 2 marks to the right of the center for starters. It should be good within a small margin of error.
If you screw up the drilling and tapping, your next option is the next size screw. Just becarful and take it slow. No rushing. Keep it clean.
This is an easy to do thing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 101_0431 (2).JPG (53.8 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 101_0433.JPG (78.9 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 101_0437.JPG (49.3 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 101_0439 (2).JPG (75.3 KB, 9 views)
Old 07-24-2006, 10:05 AM
Inactive User

OK>

So I can order a electric choke kit for a Edelbrock Performer (like the 1407 without out an electric choke) and modify the AVS so the choke will work?
I usually see the on Ebay pretty cheap. Cool, will check this out!

Funny how Edelbrock licenced the Carter carb designs to reproduce them. I always wondered why they bothered with the AFB to begin with. The AVS is a much better design. And topping that is the Thermoquad. They chose the Rodchester Qjet instead of the thermoquad. What a mistake.
Old 07-24-2006, 02:35 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

I just looked at the Edelbrock web site. They changed everything around alittle bit. It's all PDF download. Or something like that. Adobe download. (???) What a drag.

Anyway, looking at the choke kit, you'll not need all the parts in the kit. I just simply raided the old Edelbrock AFB for parts. Basicly everything in the kit except the extended throttle shaft.
When you do this, just take your time and do a nice job and it will look stock as a rock.
Old 07-24-2006, 05:17 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumblefish360
I just looked at the Edelbrock web site. They changed everything around alittle bit. It's all PDF download. Or something like that. Adobe download. (???) What a drag.

Anyway, looking at the choke kit, you'll not need all the parts in the kit. I just simply raided the old Edelbrock AFB for parts. Basicly everything in the kit except the extended throttle shaft.
When you do this, just take your time and do a nice job and it will look stock as a rock.
Yeah, I checked the Edelbrock sight too. Didn't see the choke kit. But it is a EDL-1486.
Summit had it for $49.95. OUCH. Saw a couple on ebay for $50+.
Really the cheapest way to go will be buying a core carb off ebay or one at a swap meet.
I considered swapping an original 2bbl intake and carb back on the car. But that would turn too many people off even though it is original. That 4bbl and aluminum intake looks nice even though it doesn't run worth a crap with it on there right now.
Old 07-24-2006, 07:16 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

Quote:
Really the cheapest way to go will be buying a core carb off ebay or one at a swap meet.
Yes it would be. I don't have any spare parts on hand to just send you. The cores run cheap. I had a few and butchered them for the parts and through out the main bodys. I have some boosters to whittle down and squirters to drill etc...
No choke parts though.
Sorry.