Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 07-26-2006, 01:51 PM
Inactive User

Default steering column removal

Anyone know how to remove the steering column in a 1971 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus. I have the magnum steering wheel and a big block. (I have to remove it to get my new starter in.
Old 08-05-2006, 11:44 PM
Inactive User

hey D,
I`m curious as to why you have to take the column out, every mini- starter i`ve seen or installed has went in actually better then the O.E. M. one.
Any way to take out the column you :
1. in engine bay-turn wheel so that you can use a roll pin punch and hammer and drive the roll pin down through the hole where it holds the bottom of column to the steering gear on the k-frame.

2. on inside,take the trim piece off that is under the column. 4 screws hold it on.

3. under dash towards the right side bottom of the column are 2 sets of wire plug ins with roughly 5-7 wires on each plug in. they will be white plastic and are real thin.undo those two plug ins from each other.

4. on the bottom side of column at the top,there are 4 studs facing towards floor,there are nuts with funky star shaped washers under them, you take the top drivers side nut off first and youll ind a ground wire under it then another nut, move the wire off the stud then take the other nut off.

5. as you take all this stuff off lay it on the garage floor in a rough pattern so as to put it back correctly.then take the other 3 nuts of the studs in no certain order.the star washers will come off with the nuts.

6. after you take the last nut off ,the column will fall down 2-4 unches dont freak its normal, it will not fall all the way to the floor. at the base of the column on the floor board youll see that there are 4 bolts holding a plate down that is fixed to the column.take those 4 bolts out, then the column will be loose just lay it down till the wheel sets into the seat.

7. from the engine bay again, where you took the roll pin out by the steering gear,take a small ball pean hammer and tap the bottom side of that piece and it will slide off the steering gear, make special noteof the position of the bottom of column for when you put it back together the pieces are both splined and they go back together a certain way.

8.back in car, grb the steering wheel with 1 hand and the base of the column with the other and pull it out. there ya go . hope it helps!!its no big deal easy stuff
Old 08-06-2006, 12:48 AM
Banned

Biggrin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTorreto
Anyone know how to remove the steering column in a 1971 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus. I have the magnum steering wheel and a big block. (I have to remove it to get my new starter in.
THere is no need to pull the column to put the starter in your car. It's not in the way and it aint even close to the starter. Put the car on stands, turn the wheel so the steering linkage is out of the way and remove the nut and the one bolt and drop the starter. now that's it's down where you can reach it, take the two nuts off holding the wires on. Reverse to install it. You don't have to remove a single thing to change this starter out.

All starters come out the bottom, I bet your trying to take it out the top aint ya??
Old 08-06-2006, 03:04 AM
Inactive User

You have to remove the neg battery cable from the battery, that is one thing you should remove, as a wrench can make some good sparks.
Old 08-06-2006, 07:28 AM
Inactive User

I can vouch for that .............