Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 08-01-2006, 04:46 PM
Inactive User

Default 8 3/4?

How strong are 30 spline axles in an 8 3/4? I'm trying to decide between an 8 3/4 or a moser 60. The moser would be porfessionally built, but about $400 more. Whats the weight difference? Any other opinions
Old 08-01-2006, 05:33 PM
Inactive User

They are pretty strong. I dont think the axles are ever the issue as much as the gears themselves. When I broke my final set of 8.75 gears in the other car I just built a dana with the same axles I had in the 8.75 with the correct ends etc. I even used the same brake set up.

If you are starting from scratch, have you considered a 9 inch. Damn near indestructable, and alot less weight than the Dana. I believe the car weighed a bit more than 60lbs heavier with the dana set up over the 8.75.
Old 08-03-2006, 05:04 PM
Inactive User

Default 8.75 - vs. 9" or d60

I would stick w/ the 8.75. If youve got a 742 case or a 489 case and ad a good posi unit, gears and some bearings youll be far better off than a stock ford 9". Really to make a 9" stronger you would have to change out to a nodular housing, daytona support, etc. Fortanately there are a lot of parts available for the 8.75 now that you can really beff them up. This will be a good way to go and save you some bucks.
Old 08-03-2006, 06:14 PM

Wink

Unless your talking a serious drag car w/ slicks & gears over 4.89 , I wouldn't bother with a Dana (Moser60) or a 9". The 8.75 is plenty strong till you get into the higher gear ratios.
Old 08-03-2006, 06:18 PM
Inactive User

The Dana is heavire but stronger. A good dead hook with hurt you 8 3/4. I switched from an 8 3/4 to a Dana in my Road Runner because I am planning on using slicks.

I use an 8 3/4 in my Cuda. This give easier flexiblity to change gears faster and I will not be using slick much if ever.
Old 08-04-2006, 02:22 PM

I have both a Dana in the Cuda and 8 3/4 in the Duster. I would recommend a spool with either. The Spool is really designed for real posi hookup but also adds strength. The Duster with 4.56:1 gears SS springs running 11 seconds with 11" slicks can run all day. I have broke most everything around the rear (yoke, driveshaft, U-joints ect...) But not the gear set or axles.