Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 08-23-2006, 03:25 PM
Inactive User

Default Physics and headers

I was wondering if it is possible to use the high velocity exhaust gases in the header collector to produce a vacuum source for my pcv??????????

I know from physics that high velocity gases can produce low pressure sources, but how do I place it in the collector i.e. angle and how far in?

Any info will be very helpful

Thanks Curtis
Old 08-23-2006, 03:33 PM

Yeah, its called a header evacuation system. Moroso sells them, its a bung in the collector that has a small tube with a 45 degree cut in the end and it enters the collector at about 45 degrees. It uses the bournoli (sp) effect, the same as a air brush paint sprayer. Air rushing past a tube (pitot tube) at an angle (90 for instance) will creat a vacuum in that tube, and will draw the paint (or exhaust gasses) up into the tube inot the stream of air. I used an air brush to demonstrate becasue it is really simple to visualize. Hook it up to your crankcase baffle and you are ready to roll (in a nutshell). Dang, I cant type!
Old 08-23-2006, 03:44 PM
Inactive User

Thanks for the fast reply, do you have a link where I can buy this set up, or do you think it could be made cheaply?

I liked the airbrush analogy I knew physics would come in handy for something.
Curtis
Old 08-23-2006, 07:05 PM

try Jeggs part # 720-6002. It can be made with 1/4 long threaded nipple cut at 45 degrees and screwed into a tapped hole in the collector, cut facing back toward rear. You then run hose to a check valve that prevents a backfire from charging your crankcase, then you run it to your valve cover grommet. Make sure you use a breather on the other one or if you run duals, you run 2 breathers. This works great on an open header, not so good on a full exhaust unless you plumb the line farther back in the exhaust according to Mr. Gasket and Moroso but even when not working so good, it still works. Loses efficiency past 4500 according to one source but Im not sure what kind of exhaust he had. Open headers would not lose anything at higher RPM's . My 57 Ford 312 had the same pitot tube open to the atmosphere running straight down from the crankcase next to the oil pan, used the forward motion and airstream under the car to produce a vacuum. didnt work worth beans at idle. You can get a belt driven vacuum pump off a diesel car and itll work even better.