Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 09-03-2006, 12:52 PM
Inactive User

Default TCI Competition Series Tranny

I bought one from Summit-reverse manual valve body + and it is supposed to hold up to 600 HP. I have driven the old truck,maybe 150 miles and the tailshaft bushing is in need of replacing. I started to get a slight vibration at highway speed(60) and it got worse. With the 7290 yoke in,I can move it about 3/32 of an inch.
Has anyone replaced the tailshaft bushing before? Can I take the tailshaft off without too much trouble-without taking the whole tranny out? What's involved?
I would try to get a new one,but Summit said I had to deal with TCI and they are in Mississippi(I think). And that's too much hassle for a bushing.
I thought I'd add that the rear is rebuilt(everything),the driveline also built and balanced with 1330 Spicer joints on the driveshaft and 7290s on both yokes.I wanted to go with 1350s all around,but too costly.
Any help is appreciated.
Shaun
Old 09-03-2006, 01:21 PM
Banned

Biggrin

You can change it quite easy with the tranny in the vehicle, but I doubt you have a problem with it. Check the drive shaft, balance (make sure no welded on weights fell off, seen it happen, check the U joints, chack the rear axle pinion. At one time Mopar had a porblem with the crush sleeves. I had to rework one that I rebuilt because of that crush sleeve. Any of these can cause the vibrations and the bushing failure. The bearing did not fail on it's own.
Old 09-03-2006, 07:00 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwc43
You can change it quite easy with the tranny in the vehicle, but I doubt you have a problem with it. Check the drive shaft, balance (make sure no welded on weights fell off, seen it happen, check the U joints, chack the rear axle pinion. At one time Mopar had a porblem with the crush sleeves. I had to rework one that I rebuilt because of that crush sleeve. Any of these can cause the vibrations and the bushing failure. The bearing did not fail on it's own.
I checked it all and the pinion has no crush sleeve-it is a 742. The bushing never was replaced during the rebuild,is my guess. So it wasn,t failing on its own-it was just no good.
Shaun
Old 09-03-2006, 07:38 PM
Banned

I bet it wasn't replaced.......................or screwed up when put in there.
Old 09-03-2006, 07:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
The bearing did not fail on it's own.
Nope, TCI may have helped?

You know, you may want to get your driveshaft balanced, because all mine have more slop than yours, and I have no vibration.
Have you put new U joints in it? There is a possibility that something is a wee bit bent? You shouldn't have vibrations from a loose bushing.
Old 09-03-2006, 08:43 PM
Inactive User

Well DT. I had the driveshaft done,balanced,new yokes,new ujoints. The vibration isn't constant. It is noticeable at highway speeds(60) and is a a rythmic vibrate....vibrate....vibrate....-not constant. It did it slightly at first and it got better after I readjusted the ladder bars(coil-overs settling),but then got worse. The ladder bars are adjusted right,the pinion angle is adjusted right,the driveshaft is done by EJ. The tailshaft wiggles too much when the yoke is in and it shouldn't. But what caused it?
I posted this to get some more ideas. I want to make sure everything is fine before I accuse EJ of having the driveshaft out of balance.
It may also be possible that the tranny is in a bind. When I unbolt the tranny mounts,I'll know if that's it. It's probably something simple-it usually is more difficult to find the simple things!!!

Shaun
Old 09-03-2006, 08:48 PM
Banned

I would change the bushing, to be sure, thats for sure................

The "rowww rowww rowww" vibration usually is something on the rear, or front of the driveline, and not the driveline itself, I think you are on the right track.
Old 09-03-2006, 09:00 PM
Inactive User

So back to my original question-how does it come off? I think I had one off once,a long time ago,to get the plug out where the speedo cable goes to put the connector in. And, it seems to me there is a snap ring? Behind the little rectangle plate? Then it comes right out?
It's been a while.
Shaun
Old 09-03-2006, 09:15 PM
Banned

Pull the crossmember, and the little plate under the mount. Spread the snap ring, and pul the bearing out, then, pull the tailshaft, split the bushing and drive it out.

I think.
Old 09-04-2006, 12:09 AM
Inactive User

DT,the crossmember doesn't have to be pulled and the little plate is on the side(whatever,huh!). I may have to move the home-fab cross-member though(if it is making the tranny bind and I have a good idea that it is). The 65 Swepty was originally a Granny 4 spd(NP435) and Poly 318. From that Hot Rod rebuild(15.2 second 1/4-woo hoo!!),came the 440/TCI 727B build,that I did. It was a home Hot Rod Garage build(besides all the machine work on the engine). So,I may have the tranny crooked. I'll re-check and double-check it,change the bushing-whatever needs to be done to win the Super-Comp series on the New Year's Race at Sac Raceway.

Shaun
Old 09-04-2006, 12:31 AM
Inactive User

quick question..

what Motor/trans mounts are you running? Rubber/polyurethane or Solids?

JOe
Old 09-04-2006, 12:35 AM
Banned

Biggrin

That bushing does not have enough play to worry about. Your probably on to something with your home made tranny mount. I'd check to make sure it's square and you shaft is running straight. Then I'd have you shaft balance rechecked.
Old 09-04-2006, 12:57 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingofthehill
quick question..

what Motor/trans mounts are you running? Rubber/polyurethane or Solids?

JOe
Motor mount are stock 65 Swepty mounts and a 3x2 sq tubing with a 1/4 inch polyurethane cushion for the mounting.
Shaun
Old 09-04-2006, 01:08 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
That bushing does not have enough play to worry about. Your probably on to something with your home made tranny mount. I'd check to make sure it's square and you shaft is running straight. Then I'd have you shaft balance rechecked.
DW,I appreciate your input. However,it wasn't giving as much as it is now. Before,it was barely moving when I pushed on it(when I first noticed the vibrartion) and now it is moving more.
You may be right and I will consider it. I will pull the tanny mount bolts and see if it was in a bind. If it was,I will make the necessary changes and run her. If you are right and you may be-I will let everyone know-tomorrow.
Shaun PS-Thanks again
Old 09-04-2006, 01:16 AM
Banned

Biggrin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun
DW,I appreciate your input. However,it wasn't giving as much as it is now. Before,it was barely moving when I pushed on it(when I first noticed the vibrartion) and now it is moving more.
You may be right and I will consider it. I will pull the tanny mount bolts and see if it was in a bind. If it was,I will make the necessary changes and run her. If you are right and you may be-I will let everyone know-tomorrow.
Shaun PS-Thanks again
Now that changes thing s a bit. If the amount of play keeps getting bigger and bigger then there is something wearing on that bushing pretty bad. So it should not be anything in the tranny. Only thing to look at next would be the mount,drive shaft balance and straightness or run out, maybe recheck the pinion angle to make sure, also check the rear axle track and make sure it's square with the chassis. How is your track locator mounted, or are you using a track bar? the whole rear may not be square in the truck. Can't think of anything else to check right off hand.
Old 09-04-2006, 01:24 AM
Inactive User

DW,I checked all that. It's square(within a 1/32) and I have a panhard bar,beacause it's a truck frame(wide) and it hasn't moved much(I checked after the suspension settled). With narrow Drag frames,track locaters are good and panhard bars(more streetable) are better with wider frames.
The only thing I can think of,is like I said-it must be in a bind. The runout? Are you meaning the runout in the ring gear? Or the runout in the tranny side yoke? The tranny yoke is out 3/4 of an inch,from bottoming out,at drive height. The pinion angle is at 2*.
If anything-it's in a bind-somehow.
Shaun
Old 09-04-2006, 01:47 AM
Banned

Biggrin

I meant panhard bar, but that's the same thing as a track bar. I agree it's much better on a heavier street vehicle over the track locator.

Run out I was refering to was on the drive shaft. They take and mount it in a lathe where you can mount a dial indicator and check the lenght of the shaft for run out. Make sure it's not bent or within specs. I have seen shafts where the yokes are not alinged up straight on each end and that causes a problem too.

Is that 2* nose down? Hope so. Nothing should be nose up. You really should go closer to 5* nose down. Some drag cars run more than that if need be. The whole reason is to get the drive shaft straight at speed so the U joints don't bind and it causes less hp lose from the joints if the shaft is straight. 2* does not seem like enough even in a stock car. I'm going to check on that and see what I can find for specs.
Old 09-04-2006, 01:51 AM
Banned

Biggrin

I had it partially right. The suspension does make a difference in pinion angle.

5-10* nose down on standard leaf springs
3-5* nose down on leaf link
2* nose down on 4 bar or 4 links
1* nose down on ladder bar
4-5* nose down for oval track cars
Front U joint angle 2.5* or less, but not 0

Old 09-04-2006, 04:00 PM
Banned

The cover I was talking about, has two little phillips screws holding itin place, and should be between your tailshaft and the mount.
Your side mount scared me!
Old 09-04-2006, 06:24 PM
Banned

Biggrin

There are some trannies with the cover on the side of hte tailshaft too. Mostly in trucks though. It's not as common, but they do exist. I have owned only one tranny with the side cover for the snap ring.
Old 09-04-2006, 06:33 PM
Inactive User

It's on the side. I have the bushing changed and now I am going to reassemle it.
Shaun
Old 09-04-2006, 11:46 PM
Inactive User

Well,I got the tailshaft back in and started it and ran it in third,pretty fast(on the jackstands). Damn thing still vibrates.
I ran it in first at an idle and could see the wobble in the fresh driveshaft-just built and balanced!! I can't believe it.It was towards the tranny side-no wonder I was getting wear there.
Now,I can safely say that I am sure the driveshaft is out. Ernie at EJ won't like it,but at least I am sure. I don't like accusing others of doing a poor job. I like to eliminate all the possibilities.
So tomorrow,I will call Ernie and hope he is in a decent mood.

Shaun
Old 09-05-2006, 12:53 AM
Banned

Biggrin

Glad yoy found the problem. I kinda figured that is might be the shaft, but who knows without checking everything.
Old 09-05-2006, 10:30 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Glad yoy found the problem. I kinda figured that is might be the shaft, but who knows without checking everything.
DW,you're not going to believe this!! Yesterday I said the driveshaft looked to be out,right?
I called EJ today(the guy has been doing it for 40 years) and he told me that I should only have about 5 thou play between the slip yoke and the bushing,just enough for the tranny fluid to get in there. I told him hmmm,maybe I don't have enough fluid in there!!! This was at lunch. He said he would charge me if the driveshaft was ok and would apologize,if it wasn't. I said,ok,let me check it one more time.
After work,I let it down off the jackstands and added another pint of fluid(after it was warm). I shut it off,climbed under the truck and noticed how firm the yoke was. Hmmm. I went for a drive and yeeEEHHAAWWWW!! No vibration!!!!!
I feel like a stupid arss. But like I said before-the simple problems are the hardest to pin down!
When I got the tranny,it didn't come with the shift lever,or the dipstick tube. So I found one at my buddys and slapped her in. It is close,but now I know HOW CLOSE!!!!
I appreciate all your help!!!
Shaun
Old 09-05-2006, 10:53 PM
Banned

Wal Awl beee..............

Nefer wooduh thunkit!

Glad it is fixed! Sound slike the driveline guy has seen that before!