Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > General Chat > Off-Topic Forum > Diecast and Model Car Forum

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 09-12-2006, 07:44 PM

Default Model kits for Soldiers. Got some you can spare?

Some folks are collecting model kits to send to our soldiers in Iraq.
I've known Mr. Gustavson for sometime and I'm sure this isn't a scam.
Kits of any kind are ok, Help if you can.
The info is as follows:
"http://wwwboard.modelcarkits.com/index.pl?read=886122
The Museum is putting together a quantity of model car kits, glue/adhesives, paint, research materials and the like for the Al-Kisik Hobby Club in Iraq. Please check out the letter accessed through the link below.

Regardless of what you think of the war, these are our soldiers and we must do all that we can to lighten the burden of their service.

I will be bearing the expense of shipping a large box of items to Sgt. Sabathne, CR. But I need your help by donating new kits (preferably still wrapped), and the like. I'll buy the glues, paint and the like locally (I've a client who runs a hobby shop), but I need any kit you might have to donate.

I would like to gather this stuff in the next 30 days and send it to the address below within the next 3 weeks. I want to ship by mid-October.

Please ship any item to the Museum at:

International Model Car Builders' Museum
10271 South 1300 East, PMB #131
Sandy, Utah 84094

Please do NOT send paints or glues.

Each donor's name will be mentioned in my letter to the Sgt.

Thanks to everyone for your help.

Cheers,

Mark S. Gustavson
I'd like to get donations in next 3 weeks for shipping 30 days from now.

http://www.ipmsusa.org/Features/Bagh...b/Al-Kisik.htm
To Fellow IPMS members and guests to the website:

We are reproducing here in full a letter received this month from Sgt. Sabathne stationed in Iraq. We are working with our industry friends to solicit their support, and they've given generously in the past - as have so many of our own Local Chapters.

Sgt. Sabathne's contact information follows; let's support our troops!

Thanks.

John Noack 1VP IPMS/USA

Dear IPMS,

As an avid modeler and a soldier, I was delighted to read, over the last two years since my return home from Iraq of your support for the troops and the various model and hobby clubs that have sprung up around the globe. The loyalty your organization and its members have shown is incredible, and unless they’ve been in that situation before, they really can’t understand how grateful we are for the outpouring of generosity.

The generosity shown by the modeling community and the exemplary manner in which organizations and individuals have rallied behind us is truly humbling. So much so that it is with some hesitance that I now write. But it is that time of year again, when those still here after serving with such dedication and steadfastness for many long months return to their loved ones and turn over the work to a new batch of young troopers.

As fate has it, it’s my turn once again and my team and I have arrived safely in Al-Kasik, Iraq, some for our second tour of duty in Iraq and most for their first. Unlike last time, we have beds, electricity and showers. Like last time, though, my team is in an isolated area without the recreation facilities of a larger base. So isolated in fact, that we don’t even have an address. You’ll notice our address is that of a large base, from where our mail is collected and put into a shipping container with tools, auto parts and food to sustain us and then driven in a special convoy to our location.

I’ve read of your partnerships with Fine Scale Modeler magazine and Squadron among other, and when my battle buddy mentioned that we should get a model to build, you immediately came to mind.

Having seen so much generosity, I feel humbled to ask for more, so it is with hope and thanks that I announce the formation of the Al-Kisik Hobby Club and ask that we be added to the role call at first formation.

We have absolutely nothing model related here, except an air compressor in one of our shop vans and would be starting from scratch to build a workroom, though we do have the space. Interests among my soldiers include all types of cars and trucks, motorcycles, armor and aircraft kits. My favorite has always been 1/48 scale aircraft, particularly single engine WWII birds. All tools, glues, paints, brushes, and reading and research materials are needed and appreciated. The point of contact is me, Sgt. Sabathne. Any donations to the cause can be sent to:

Al-Kisik Hobby Club

C/O Sgt. Sabathne, CR.

164th Maint Co. Det 2

352nd CSB

LSA Diamondback

APO AE 09334

Email: c.sabathne@us.army.mil
or linedog1848@yahoo.com

Thank you in advance.

Sincerely, CR Sabathne and the troopers of Al-Kisik"