PDA

View Full Version : Oklahome salvage yard is crushing out!

bigdodgevan
04-27-2007, 10:30 AM
June 1st, its gone.

From an email sent to my local Mopar club:

An old time large salvage yard in closing out here in Oklahoma. They
have cars back to the 30's. I've bought quite a few parts out of there
for our cars but a few have been bought out within the last year.
There's still a few of ours along with a ton of others. I think he has
about 1800 cars and trucks over 30 acres. There's still a lot of old
Dodge trucks in there and at least one cool old Dodge panel wagon. One
picture I have is an interesting 64 Chrysler with a floor shifted
manual and radio delete plate. He's having a sale before he crushes.
$400 for any car, truck, or convertible. Some cool street rod material
in there too. For your brand X friends, Torinos, Mustangs, Camaros,
Firebirds etc. 1940's model Ford's too. I scanned his flyer and here's
some pics of just a few of the cars. The sale is from May 1st to May 14th.

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/gary-futrell@sbcglobal.net/album/576460762399570890

Madman Stephan
04-27-2007, 11:06 AM
That's a shame, but how long have these cars been sitting in long grass though? There probably so rotten that not much can be done with them. If it wasn't so far, I'd go collect all the hoods and rear-end's that I could get my hands on.

71plymouthsat
04-27-2007, 04:26 PM
:jawdrop: :crying: Still looks to be lote of good parts there

Stoga
04-28-2007, 04:59 AM
Seeing that it's in Oklahoma, chances are they may not be as rusty as you think. If I lived closer, I'd definetly have to take a look in person.

1973Swinger
04-28-2007, 08:32 AM
Seeing that it's in Oklahoma, chances are they may not be as rusty as you think. If I lived closer, I'd definetly have to take a look in person.

I would love that to be closer to me as well. Id probably pick up that truck body and frame for $400, it would make a great starting point for a street rod! :thumbsup:

texasmoparman
04-30-2007, 01:05 AM
man i'd have a hay day out there!! wheres about in oklahoma is it? i will be going down to stillwater somewhat soon.:dude:

bigdodgevan
04-30-2007, 10:47 AM
If you follow the link, this is the first picture, with the city and directions:

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/gary-futrell@sbcglobal.net/album/576460762399570890/photo/294928804351641265/0

"3 miles south of Stillwater on US 177"

405-372-1585

Would you be willing to look for cars for the rest of us?

memnoch451
04-30-2007, 04:31 PM
I have always loved old wrecking yards. when I was a kid I got ALL of my parts there for my running wrecked cars...

Just another old way losing out to the F'd up new world we live in.. Booooo Hissssss!

Ray Bell
04-30-2007, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by memnoch451
I have always loved old wrecking yards. when I was a kid I got ALL of my parts there for my running wrecked cars...

Just another old way losing out to the F'd up new world we live in.. Booooo Hissssss!

I still do!

But the numbers of yards is shrinking here in Australia too... particularly in the country areas.

What's happening is this: The Chinese are buying scrap iron and alloy at such prices that it pays the wrecking yard owner to sell up his whole stock. It's like it's his superannuation come early, he gets a bundle for the stuff, sells up the yard and doesn't have to work any more.

Who cares if your kin and friends can't keep their car running any more?

Well, that's not completely true either. Newer cars don't wreck out so well as the older ones. Engines are so good these days that, allied with the throwaway nature of the modern car, they outlast the body. It's only the crash repair side that does well.

Another part of it is restriction. Local authorities are acting on behalf of the NIMBYs and asking for big fences painted green to camouflage the place, make it look like it's a part of the scenery. Just the same as they pursue the auto hobbyist who has a car or two in his backyard when neighbours complain that they want their neighbourhood cleaned up.

This modern world... who'd have it?

George G. Leverette
05-01-2007, 11:40 PM
Thanks very much for the info, maybe someone will find the vehicle of their dreams amongst the bunch.

memnoch451
05-02-2007, 02:37 PM
I still do!

But the numbers of yards is shrinking here in Australia too... particularly in the country areas.

What's happening is this: The Chinese are buying scrap iron and alloy at such prices that it pays the wrecking yard owner to sell up his whole stock. It's like it's his superannuation come early, he gets a bundle for the stuff, sells up the yard and doesn't have to work any more.

Who cares if your kin and friends can't keep their car running any more?

Well, that's not completely true either. Newer cars don't wreck out so well as the older ones. Engines are so good these days that, allied with the throwaway nature of the modern car, they outlast the body. It's only the crash repair side that does well.

Another part of it is restriction. Local authorities are acting on behalf of the NIMBYs and asking for big fences painted green to camouflage the place, make it look like it's a part of the scenery. Just the same as they pursue the auto hobbyist who has a car or two in his backyard when neighbours complain that they want their neighbourhood cleaned up.

This modern world... who'd have it?

I hear that. Too many houses to close together these days...Make me almost wantto move to ????

Hey my kid will be Down under this summer Ray..on some tour with his school...I May head down there too..and spy on him..lol

Ray Bell
05-03-2007, 01:12 AM
Feel free to get in touch, I might even be able to show you a few of the sights...