Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Car Audio Forum

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 04-18-2001, 07:53 AM
Inactive User

Question

Hi people. I am planning to save myself $120 by installing my system myself. I was hoping to get any and all advice from everything about removing dash panels to door panels. I'll be getting an adapting wiring kit from a local shop to help. I currently have the Infinity CD system with what I presume are the self amped speakers. I've purchased an Apine head with Kenwood 6-1/2's and Kenwood 6x9's for the front door. Does anybody know how to get the A-pillar tweeter wired in also? I realize the 6x9's up front will push the door panel out a half inch... any comments regarding that. No big deal?? I'd really appreciate the feedback because I like to do things right the first time. Thanks again!!
Old 04-26-2001, 12:02 AM
Inactive User

Default install how to

heres what ya got and need

if yer deck / head unit has skinny wires fer the speakers it is an amplified head unit. it will also say 40X4 or somethin like that on the face speakers other than pre made boxes(sometimes) are never self powerd
if you insist on using the oversized speakers that push yer door panel out use some kind of tape on the inner door panel to stop vibration and scratching/cutting of the speaker.
tweeters need a crossover/splitter powerd or not doesn't make a diff. get the pillar cover off run the two wires and if ya haveto jerry rig a mount. these two wires go to the crossovers output along with the wires from the 61/2's the input gets the 2 wires (1+and 1-) from the deck. the 6X9's get 2 wires each (1+ and 1-)
do not run a 6X9 that has a tweeter built in off of a crossover bad idea smoke etc
TRIPPLE check ALL connections and wrap in electrical tape even if yer using connectors (have dinner before doing this as a break to clear yer mind
here's some hints
buy some fusable links and add them to the power ground and antennae wires (1each) and put fuses rated for lower current than what comes with the DECK fuse the antenna wire witha 1/2 amp fuse

NEVER INSTALL A RADIO OR COMPONENTS WITH THE BATTERY HOOKED UP !!!

sounds paranoid I do this fer a living and i can tell you it HUGEEEENESS pays off fer this stuff
MOST IMPORTANTLY TAKE YOUR TIME if this is yer first time 4 hours should be a good goal including dinner break