PDA

View Full Version : 727 torqueflite shift kit

jlhram
07-21-2001, 01:08 AM
I am preparing to do a shift kit on a 727 torquflite in a 1969 Roadrunner, I have a B&M shift improver kit. I also picked up a Mopar performance deep pan. I have heard mixed views on the use of B&M. I have been fighting a leaky valve body shaft seal, I was able to pull the old one with no problem but I keep bending the new ones when I try to put them in, so I decided to just go ahead and put a shift kit in,when I drop the body to change the seal. Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks....JLHRAM

raymond
07-21-2001, 07:09 AM
I do a bit of work on torqueflites from time to time and have used most types of shift kits, B@M. Transgo, Mr. Gasket etc. They all seem to use pretty much the same kind of mods to the valve body etc. and the end result is much the same between them. The only thing is you can do the exact same mods to 2 different transmissions and you will find that one is a killer piece and the other is only marginally improved. Hope this is of some help to you.

jlhram
07-22-2001, 10:42 AM
Thanks for the Info Raymond, The B&M kit went in without any major problems. I'm still a long way from hitting the street. I'll let you know when I do.
Thanks again.....JLHRAM

transfixleo
07-26-2001, 08:07 PM
TransGo Is by far the better choice. One thing that they do is address the drainback problems and converter cavitation, as well as not being able to check the oil in Park (which also means no cooler flow in Park). This has nothing to do with shift "firmness" but has everything to do with the tranny lasting a whole lot longer.

As for replacing the linkage seal, try getting some big washers and a nut and bolt to 'press' the seal into the case ( I assume you are doing this in car).

Frank R
07-27-2001, 11:47 AM
The Transgo fixed the drainback problem on 2 of my trannies and fixed 2 of my friends trans with the same problem. Between my friends and I we have have done 5 trannies and the Transgo has worked flawlessly on all of them. Another thing that is cool is the instructions explain what exactly each mod will do and how it accomplishes it.

Mr. Belve
08-01-2001, 08:34 PM
buy a hurst shifter.

jcuda
08-01-2001, 10:06 PM
where's the best place to buy the transgo shift kit?

transfixleo
08-02-2001, 07:49 PM
I don't know if this is the best place but it is A place: http://www.hptransparts.com/MM007.ASP?pageno=78

66Dodge
08-03-2001, 09:20 PM
I bought my Transgo TF-2 via mail order from:

www.delta-transparts.com

jlhram
08-04-2001, 11:53 AM
Well I put in the B&M kit went in easy, seem to be working fine,but Even after pressing the valve body shaft seal in with a flat washer and a long bolt ( went right in Good Idea tranfix) it started leaking again after just a few days....Any more Ideas
Thanks Jlhram

transfixleo
08-04-2001, 12:04 PM
Go back and reread the posting about trans drainback in this thread. That wasn't put there for no reason at all. Drainback is when the converter empties back into the pan after sitting and often helps to cause leaks when it 'overfills' the tranny. Was the shaft worn out too? Since TransGo is out to FIX the tranny, they address all common problems, whereas B&M is all about making a firm shift, period.

Enjoy your B&M kit!

jlhram
08-04-2001, 12:44 PM
Ok transfixleo, I"m convinced and you not being the kind to say I told you so. Oh well Live and Learn right...I am going to get a transgo kit ASAP.....Any tips on putting it in, hopefully it's not too much more complicated than B&M.....But seriously Thanks a lot I should have listened to you in the first place.
Thanks .....jlhram

transfixleo
08-05-2001, 06:23 AM
I wasn't so much taking a shot at you but trying to get the point accross to anyone else following the thread. Make sure that the shaft isn't grooved out though or nothing will seal there. Also, make sure that you lube it up good or sometomes the seal 'rolls' over.

As for the TransGo kit, it is pretty easy to install and B&M does one of the things that TransGo does (for third gear) so that will already be set. Find the spring for the intermediate accum that B&M has you toss (as I recall, may be wrong) and put it back in. It is OK if it is gone but that is my preference.

PLUM CRZY
08-05-2001, 10:22 PM
Had the same problem with the valve body shaft seal leaking, the old seal over the years wears a groove in the selector shaft. If its not bad, a little emory cloth will clean some of the scapes and burrs. If the shaft is real bad...like it was on mine....i had to find another valve body at junk yard.....i took out two before i found one that was better than mine...some where i also heard that you can sleeve this...its more of a custom thing, measure the OD of the shaft, then find a bushing to fit over it. Gotta be a tight fit or she'll leak again....Trans go has good stuff....but if you have convertor drain back, go to the cause of the problem. The front pump bushing needs to be replaced. problem gone!

transfixleo
08-06-2001, 05:47 AM
You are correct that a worn pump bushing, or for that matter a pump with loose clearances can cause drainback but....

In a TF for whatever reason when they added PARK position they left the curcuit for the converter feed and lube curcuits not working (since for the first few years they didn't HAVE it they just added it on like an Appendix or something). This means that in PARK on a stock TF you have no feed for that curcuit so if you have drainback, nothing is really feeding the curcuit back up.

With the TransGo kit it includes a new manual valve and modifications to the VB that feed the curcuits in PARK, PLUS it closes OFF the curcuit when the engine is off to limit drainback(ALL trannies will have SOME, it just seems to be more of a problem on these because of the above mentioned design). As a nice bonus you can now also check your fluid level in PARK too!

jlhram
08-06-2001, 10:31 AM
On my 69 727 I was wondering which kit I should use, I went to the link you posted and it shows a few different ones, I am guessing the TF6/TF8 HP98542. Once again thanks for all your help......jlhram

transfixleo
08-06-2001, 06:27 PM
Yes,the #HP98542 will be fine for you.

RatKiller
08-07-2001, 03:37 PM
I just put the TF-2 in and it was easy! Just go slow and follow the directions to the letter. The drainback issue is corrected and I liked that! It shifts better than the B&M kit that was in there.

Good luck!