Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Car Audio Forum

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 08-20-2001, 01:54 AM
Banned

Default Anyone have one of these head units?

The Alpine CDA-7878. Features are:
• 45W x 4 MOSFET Amplifier
• Bass Engine Pro®
• MaxTune SQ Tuner
• XM Satellite Radio Ready
• MP3,CD-R/RW Playback
• DHE (Digital Harmonics Enhancer)
• Blackout Display
• Disc Title Memory
• CD Text / CD Text Display
• Versatile-Link Ready
• Rotary Encoder Volume Knob
• Wireless Remote Control Included
• Swing Mechanism with Detachable Face
• Multicolor display with Spectrum Analyzer
• Alpine High Precision DP-ST CD
Transport
• Regulated 1-Bit DAC
• 4 Volt PreOut (DC-DC)
• 3 PreOuts
The five advanced Bass Engine Pro functions, awesome look (and easy to use) new design make this a sure contender for head unit of the year. The degree of sound control it gives you is essentially equivalent to having an Alpine PRA-H400 signal processor built in. It will also play the MP3 tracks you've burned onto a CD-R or RW disc—all 12 hours worth! DHE processing enhances the MP3 sound to the digital quality you're used to. And with a 45W x 4 poweramplifier, three PreOut’s and Versatile Link compatibility, the CDA-7878 will give you the power and control that a super-high performance system demands.

This is what I want to replace my CDA-7939 with that Ive had since 97. I love the MP3 and XM Satellite Radio features, among the rest
Old 08-20-2001, 12:44 PM

I don't have it but the cost will be around 770 or so. Its a pretty bad dude.

I was thinking about getting it if Kenwood doesn't ever make a MP3 changer.

Shoot Ram This, just go ahead and get the F-1 Statis unit. 3 grand is just a drop in the bucket!! Damn thing can be hooked up to a PC and a RTA and you can EQ all 5 channels with 30 band EQ's. Only a hand full of retailers can even sell it(after they pay alpine like 1000 bones to get trained on it).
Old 08-20-2001, 11:33 PM

Kenwood actually has been making a couple of MP3 units for some time now.

I have the MP8017 in my rig and have no issues with it. Yes, it does take a little longer to read the idv3.1/etc. information on an mp3 track vs. a regular cd track. yes, i do think that if you bother to program in a radio station call sign then it should initially display that instead of the numerics and then the call sign 5 seconds later but hey, for $285 new in the box, warranty and all, from Ebay then I'll deal with it.
Old 08-22-2001, 04:08 AM
Banned

I might have Alpine F-1 Status when I win the lottery, so in other words, I wont ever have that! But that is the baddest stereo around.
Old 08-22-2001, 12:54 PM

WORD!!!
Old 08-23-2001, 12:24 AM
Inactive User

Thumbs up Alpine Head Unit

Hello~

About 10 years ago I bought the Alpine 7618 and it has performend flawlessly. After all of that time, only one of the LED's have burnt out on the pre-set buttons.
I have two brothers that have both bought cd head units recently and they hae had problems with the display etc.
So I figured if I was going to sink a couple grand into a system, I was going to do it right.
I went with the CDA-7977. From what I can see it has all of the bells & whistles of the 7878, less the MP3 & with out the huge price tag. With shipping on eBay I picked it up for $400 (lists for $550)
I bought the CHA-1214 12 disc changer to go with it to help eliminate haveing to constantly change discs all of the time. I love it!! I will always be a fan of Alpine and my wireless remote from the old 7618 works with the new unit as well!

~Keith
Old 08-23-2001, 02:16 AM
Banned

Default flaccus-brother

I hear ya, I am stuck on Alpine stereos, I wont own anything else. Ive seen too many people around here buy Kenwood, which is just a glorified Jensen in my opinion. They dont last much more than a year, if that usually. My Alpine has been totally flawless in the 4 years Ive owned it. Only problem I ever had was the crappy Clarion amp I have shorting out and frying some parts in my head unit through the pre-outs, but a company up north repaired it for 150 bucks and it works perfectly again!

Oh and welcome to moparchat!!
Old 08-24-2001, 01:01 AM
Inactive User

I have the alpine 7949E. The thing that makes this deck unique is the fact that it comes with no amp built in. This produces a cleaner sound because without an external amp your screwed. But besides that, I have had many stereos including a Kenwood 811 with a $500 BBE processor. My alpine blows it out of the water. This year it has a different model number and I am not too sure what it is but the deck costs around 1000 new. But it's worth it.
Old 08-24-2001, 06:53 AM
Inactive User

The Alpine model I mentioned above, the CDA-7977, is also an un-amplified model. And it has three sets of low voltage pre-outs compared to the two that most units have. Front, rear and sub.
It also has a BBE processor built into the head unit as well as crossover levels for the pre outs.
Believe me, this is one awesome head unit and I challenge any other model to compare! Especially for the price.

~Keith
Old 08-24-2001, 05:06 PM
Banned

My 7939 is a non-internal amp unit as well, with 3 pre-outs, Ai-Net, Fiber Optic connections, and Ai-Net changer control. I have it running through the ERA-G320 14band Graphic EQ with surround modes, time correction, BBE circuitry, split 7 band front/rear, sub level, sub phase, green/red illumination, listening position selector, etc etc. It is amazing how clear it sounds, but Im sure it will sound better when I get some component systems and some better amps.

When I bought the Head Unit in 97, it was the one model below the (CVA-9000?) flagship model. Ive yet to find another stereo brand that I like better than Alpine
Old 08-28-2001, 07:53 PM
Inactive User

can't really complain about my alpine I bought the 7949E for $250 and it's in perfect condition.
Old 08-29-2001, 09:08 PM

My Kenwood gear (2nd time around with a complete setup) has always performed flawlessly and I tend to beat my gear up a bit.

I've had an Alpine (7484 or something like that??) in the past as well and it held up fine also, as did the matching cd changer.

So, buy the Alpine, it seems like you're set on it, and enjoy!