Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Car Audio Forum

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 11-11-2001, 02:12 PM

Angry Car audio installation problem....?

I have been having a problem with the installation of my car stereo system. I have already installed all new speakers, another receiver, all new wires, checked all fuses, rechecked, double checked and triple checked, and then checked again the wiring to make absolutely sure it was done right. The problem is when I wire it like it is supposed to be, when I turn off the receiver, it causes a LOAD BOOM from all the speakers like a tremendous bass note. The way it is wired is: (Like it says in the wiring diagram), the red wire to the ignition where it can be switched off with the key, the yellow wire to a constant power output to save all presets, the blue/white wire to the amp or the power ant. if equipped, and of course the black to ground. But, if I wire the red and yellow wires to the same circuit it does not do this. But that is not the way it is supposed to be wired. The blue/white wire has no affect on this. I had thought it was the old receiver that I had but I just purchased a new one with the same problem. If I wire the red and yellow wires to the same circuit the receiver works fine and you can turn it off without the load BOOM/BASS NOTE. It says in the wiring diagram if you wire the wire the red and yellow wires to the same circuit it could kill the battery. I have installed systems in many different cars and have not had this problem before.
Old 11-11-2001, 04:03 PM

need some more info, what kinda of car, deck, etc....

You may not have a good ignition wire.

You can wire so that the radio is "hot" all the time but you will manualy have to turn off the radio or remove the face.

The blue/white wire is for a "amp turnon" and the solid blue is a "power ant"
Old 11-12-2001, 09:11 AM

Well the car is aDodge Daytona and I used to have a Jenson deck, but now I have a Kenwood 208s deck. If I wire it so that the radio is "hot" all the time it works fine but will that cause any harm. I don't mind turning it off and removing the face plate. There is no problem with the blue/white wire.
Old 11-12-2001, 10:32 AM

there is no harm in that. All the red wire is a "activation wire" meaning when that wire see's 12v it turns in.

Some of the older voltswagens have a really weak ignition system and the radio has to be wired up hot all the time. No problem yet.

Depending on how bad that turn on thump is, usually its not bad for anything either.
Old 11-12-2001, 03:54 PM
Inactive User

Default salute

that is a salute to you ,your car is saluting you for getting rid of your jensen
Old 11-12-2001, 08:46 PM

Thumbs up

Thanks for all the info. I will just keep it wired hot all the time. But I am still curious as to why it has a LOAD BOOM from all the speakers like a tremendous bass note when it is wired like it is supposed to be.? It only did it when I turned it off.

By the way that "turn on thump" is still working just fine after all this time.
Old 11-17-2001, 11:06 PM
Inactive User

Are there any amps involved? i had that problem, turned out the RCA was too close to the remote wire...try and keep your wire speakers away from any hot wires(blue, red, yellow, even black) also, did u check the connections to the speakers? thanx for getting rid of the jensen, you saved us all
Old 11-18-2001, 11:38 PM

Default amp

If you run an amp as well then you should isolate it from any metal sources to avoid this problem.also check your gains if you have an amp.I've wired tons of dodge stereos for customers + never had that trouble.
Old 11-19-2001, 09:20 PM

Thumbs up

Thanks for the additional info. Yes I have 2 amps. I will check the wires tomorrow. Speaking of the jenson,
Quote:
thanx for getting rid of the jensen, you saved us all
Glade I could help out!
I noticed a BIG difference with the new and better tape deck (yes I said tape deck.), even though it is a cassette. I will also be adding a new cd player in the future. Do I kear the word, ALPINE! The reason i got a new tape deck instead if going to a cd player is because the car came orignal with a factory tape deck and a seperate cd player I decided that I was going back to orignal except with something better than factory. Besides there is an open space where the cd is supposed to be so why not fill the open space with a cd player.