Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Car Audio Forum

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 03-11-2002, 01:04 PM
Inactive User

Default Frickin Circuit City

Ok, about a month ago I brought my truck to Circuit City to have my system installed. (Normally I wouldn't, but I got a great deal because the last time I did an install a guy I knew there got me hookups, and I gave them another go at my new Dak.) I had them install speakers in the front and rear, and had them install the Thunderform in the rear, and Dynamatted the whole dang thing.
Well, they called me and told me my truck was ready. I got there, and THEN they told me "Oh, there IS one minor thing." Turns out that the slots that are cut into the Thunderform to allow the seat brackets to come down aren't totally lined up, and therefore the passenger seat can't come down. And it was 5 minutes before closing time, so I couldn't have them uninstall it till 2 days later (it was done on a Sunday, and Monday was MLK day and they were booked).

I brought it in to have them uninstall everything, and when I got back, I saw the Thunderform sitting in the bed. That wasn't all that bad, but only one of the two subs had been removed from the enclosure. They just left the other one there. On top of that, the rear paneling was loose, and should not have been, so I had them fix THAT.

Then, on my drive home, I notice that the passenger side door is rattling. After some closer inspection I notice that the screw that holds the inside paneling to the metal door frame is cockeyed (which just screams 'rush job'). Upon further inspection, I also discovered that NONE of the screws that secure the plastic tray to the cab floor were installed.

Now granted, I should have done a much more detailed inspection than I originally had. HOWEVER, I have been to Circuit City before and was very pleased with the job they had done. No more will I go to ANY Circuit City for ANY install. I thought I would throw this out there for anyone who might be naive enough (like I was) to think Circuit City will do a good job on a sound install.
Old 03-12-2002, 04:41 AM
Inactive User

Biggrin i got fuct too by Circuit City!!!

dude,

yesterday i got like a $160.00 in amp wire kits. the thing is i had it installed today by a friend of mine who hates Circuit City!! well he has his own shop and his installers only charged me half of what Circuit City had me at. now thats awesome........ just my 2 cents.

mahalo,
Scotty
Old 03-12-2002, 06:41 AM
Inactive User

Default Not truck related but...........

We bought a TV from there, that had pic in picture with the remote for the tv. Well the remote went bad, took it back under warranty and was told it would be in in about 6 weeks. 6 weeks, then they said 6 months (Said that style wasn't made anymore) Still haven't gotten the remote. This was in '99 when I lived in FL. I now live in AZ. I HATE Circuit City.
Old 03-12-2002, 08:31 AM
Inactive User

Default Hooray!

Misery LOVES company.

In all seriousness, it's not really their prices or warranty that's bugged me (although I've heard numerous reports about them, though....just been lucky in that area). But they REALLY hosed me on the car installation this time. And it's not even the entire 'car audio' installation establishment there. What I THINK it is, is their evidently less-than-stringent rules and such on the knowledge level and quality level of the people they hire. It SAYS in big fat letters on the back of the receipts "We will uninstall any pieces of equipment that we install, and will also replace it with the stock factory equipment." But the one time I actually had them do that, you'd have thought I was asking for them to build me a new truck from scratch....the whole rolling of the eyes bit.
Old 03-13-2002, 09:51 PM
Inactive User

Default how

how did you have them uninstall the dynamat
Old 03-27-2002, 02:51 PM
Inactive User

Default Sorry...

Sorry for the late post. I didn't have them uninstall the Dynamat. I had them leave that. Essentially I had them remove the Thunderform (because it didn't fit correctly, something they told me belatedly), Bass Blockers (from the speakers) and the amp from under the seat. The amp wiring is all still there, so when I get my custom-made box put in (in about a month) I will just put another amp there and have it wired up to the wiring that's already there.
Old 03-27-2002, 11:40 PM
Inactive User

Default cool

cool sounds like you got a prof uninstall/refund,,,,,,,,,,,,did you ever notice how expensive installs are almoast 60 dollars an hour if not more these guys usualy dont do a 60 dollar an hour job though or act on that kind of profesionality leveal,,,always messsing up,,,always shooting high install prices ,,,its insane here in the bayarea,,,you are not aloud to work on a vehical on a public street,,,not aloud to work on vehicals at my complex ,,man its ruff
Old 04-01-2002, 04:50 PM
Inactive User

Default A note

For me it has nothing to do with the level of difficulty. I'm a former nuclear reactor operator and a current network administrator/electronics technician for the Navy, so I think I could handle the install.

BUT if I screw something up, then I have screwed it up, and if it's a screwup that blows up an amp or a sub, then I have just screwed myself. And I have had installers blow stuff up before. But if he blows it up, then he (the establishment) pays for it. For simple installs, YES, I do them myself. But for the large ones, such as the last one that was done, I decided to let the 'professionals' *heehee* do it. I've never had a problem with Circuit City up to this point...but now I'll never use them again.
Old 04-01-2002, 10:41 PM
Inactive User

Default yea

yea installs can take days